Willy Weather website feedback.

Discussion of safety equipment and use.
Steve R
KFDU 1000 Club
Local Fishing Region: Eden and thereabouts
Kayaks: Hurricane Skimmer; Racing TK1 (Mr Tippy).

Willy Weather website feedback.

#1 Post by Steve R » Thu Oct 08, 2015 4:35 pm

As users will know, Willy Weather recently updated their website. For me, that was a major setback to my main use of the site. Data I was previously able to copy and manipulate into the format I used in my fishing diary became locked. For a while I used an option to return to the old site. Last week the option was removed. I made contact and received a response indicating a willingness to listen to positive feedback for website improvement. I suggested I would be happy to start a discussion on KFDU seeking feedback that may be mutually beneficial.

Two of the links I was asked about are:
Maps
http://www.willyweather.com.au/maps.htm ... 2|offset:0
Graphs
Quote: "you can overlay all sorts of data on the one graph (or multiple graphs with multiple locations). I made a demo one here."
http://www.willyweather.com.au/graphs.h ... e:forecast

Over to you. What would you like to see that may improved the usability of the Willy Weather website for kayak fishing? It may also be useful to know on which device you use it - PC, tablet, smartphone... and when you use it - live, before fishing, after fishing (diary stats).

For those who may not have heard of the website (unlikely in this forum) - http://www.willyweather.com.au/
If you haven't looked recently carefully look over the webpage. You may find things you haven't seen before.
Capture.JPG
BBsurf.JPG

Note that I have no association with Willy Weather.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Steve R on Thu Oct 08, 2015 4:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cheers,
Steve
(Salmonaholic)
Many men go fishing all their lives without knowing its not fish they are after - Henry Thoreau

arpie
2011 Saltwater Angler of the Year
Local Fishing Region: mid north coast
Kayaks: Hobie Sport, Perception Minnow

Re: Willy Weather website feedback.

#2 Post by arpie » Thu Oct 08, 2015 4:48 pm

Interesting, Steve. I don't use it that often .... I guess I used it to guesstimate the tides if I fished further up the lake - in some areas there may be up to 6 hrs of time lag, depending on where you put in!!

Not sure I like the map tho! On Keith's iPad, it is constantly flickering in different colours and appears to show Forster as a straight bit of coast, totally wiping out Wallis Lake and surrounding rivers! :?:

I'll see how it develops. Thanks for the heads up on the change!

Cheers

Roberta
(Mark's) Prostaff Member: Ten20 Rods

Adventure before Dementia

Perception Minnow - "Squidgies" Hobie Sport - "Fisharoo"

old fish
KFDU Angler
Local Fishing Region: Illawarra, south coast, mid-north coast
Kayaks: Hobie Outback

#3 Post by old fish » Fri Oct 09, 2015 7:48 pm

Hi Steve,
I have been using willy weather and enjoyed the original format.
Like you I reverted to the old format while I could.
With their changes I have searched for another supplier and have discovered elders weather which I have found quite informative in a layout suitable for my kayak fishing.
Thanks for posting this topic.
Cheers
Pete :grr:

rayke1938
KFDU Angler
Local Fishing Region: redland bay

#4 Post by rayke1938 » Fri Oct 09, 2015 8:32 pm

I liked the old format with graphs too hard for me now have reverted to BOM and have deleted willy weather from favorites. I use lqptop to plan trips.
Cheers
Ray

unsinkable 2
KFDU Angler
Local Fishing Region: Toowoomba, Straddie, SEQ
Kayaks: Stealth Profisha 525, Old Town Vapour 10, Viking 2+1

#5 Post by unsinkable 2 » Fri Oct 09, 2015 9:30 pm

I actually like the new format and features. I use it for most of my inland stuff and I'm pretty happy with the site overall.
PBs
I caught a cobia which could eat the rest except for the mackerel which could also probably eat a lot of the things

tasmaniac
KFDU 500 Club
Local Fishing Region: Huon & Channel area
Kayaks: Hobie Outback

#6 Post by tasmaniac » Fri Oct 09, 2015 9:37 pm

Same, I don't like the new format at all. Maybe it's just that I'm reluctant to embrace the change, but for mine, the old format was more user friendly. ( well, for me it was anyway )
I just don't use it any more :blah:
Cheers & tight lines
Greg

Dodge
KFDU 2000 Club
Local Fishing Region: Gold Coast, Qld
Kayaks: Swing 400, and Pacer

#7 Post by Dodge » Fri Oct 09, 2015 11:06 pm

While I preferred the old layout, find i can get the same info on the new setup, not as quickly though because it is new.

Do however only use willy for tide info up to a fortnight ahead, and at a variety of locations when planning outings, all being done on a laptop.
Cheers RICHO [the older one]
Team Member of... Old Farts.... GREEN GINGER.... GC/NRKFC .... Usually monitor UHF29
Perception Swing 400, lime/yellow .... homemade timber Anon lures
Accept some days you're the pidgeon, and on other days you're the statue

Mackayak
KFDU 1000 Club
Local Fishing Region: Far North Coast NSW, Ballina
Kayaks: Revolution 13 Revolution 11

#8 Post by Mackayak » Sat Oct 10, 2015 5:35 am

Like others I was going back to the old format but one day spent time on the new one to get use to it and haven't used the old format since. Found it has a lot more on it which is good for me as a farmer but for fishing would like to see a forcast pressure, they do have live pressure but no good if planing a trip in 4 days. :wink:
PB's From yak:
Fresh Water: Saratoga 51cm YES; Barra 110cm; Murray Cod 78cm; Golden Perch 45cm; Bass 44cm;EP 38cm
Salt Water: Snapper 62cm; Jew 83cm; Flathead 71cm; Mangrove Jack 37cm; Whiting 35cm; Bream 37cm; Trevally 38cm; Tailor 34cm;

MattoTarpon
KFDU 3000 Club
Local Fishing Region: Anywhere There Is Bass
Kayaks: Hobie Quest 13 , WS Aspire 105.

#9 Post by MattoTarpon » Sat Oct 10, 2015 5:54 am

tasmaniac wrote:Same, I don't like the new format at all. Maybe it's just that I'm reluctant to embrace the change, but for mine, the old format was more user friendly. ( well, for me it was anyway )
I just don't use it any more :blah:

x2
Bass - 52cm
Mary River Cod 69cm my dream catch.
Flathead - 64cm Yellowbelly - 54cm
Bream - 38cm Silver Perch - 44cm
Saratoga - 74cm Flounder - 33cm
Whiting - 27cm

ITS A GODDAMN SHARKNADO!!!!!

Lazybugger
KFDU Angler
Local Fishing Region: Brisbane
Kayaks: Stealth Pro Fisha 525

#10 Post by Lazybugger » Sat Oct 10, 2015 7:14 am

I used to use Willy plus wind guru and from that hat take an average. However the Bom's new meteye service craps all over them for accuracy and graphical representation of wind. It lets me determihe that the 10knot forecast for the area might be slightly different 2-3km offshore. It has been the most accurate forecaster to date for me.

steve202
KFDU Angler
Local Fishing Region: Illawarra
Kayaks: outback

#11 Post by steve202 » Sat Oct 10, 2015 8:07 am

Don't like the new site to hard to use off my smart phone so i don't use there site anymore.

Jamie D
2015 Saltwater Angler of the Year
Local Fishing Region: South East Queensland and Northern New South Wales
Kayaks: Vortex VTX 560

#12 Post by Jamie D » Sat Oct 10, 2015 9:15 am

Lazybugger wrote:However the Bom's new meteye service craps all over them for accuracy............. It has been the most accurate forecaster to date for me.
X2 Bigtime !!!

mouse
KFDU 1000 Club
Local Fishing Region: SEQ

#13 Post by mouse » Sat Oct 10, 2015 9:20 am

IMHO, there are better alternatives for the data I require.
Cheers,
Kym

Steve R
KFDU 1000 Club
Local Fishing Region: Eden and thereabouts
Kayaks: Hurricane Skimmer; Racing TK1 (Mr Tippy).

#14 Post by Steve R » Sat Oct 10, 2015 9:22 am

I'm sure Willy Weather will be interested in like/don't like feedback but the aim of this is to see if we can give them some suggestions for improvement.

Willy Weather do draw their data from other sources so we can"t say, "make it more accurate". However, between us we may be able to give some suggestions that may show things in a better way, giving us a better idea about safety when heading onto big water. For example, I raised that I rely on Isometric charts and wind charts. They indicate they can't match BoM's Isometric charts. While they do get the data from BoM, all the trough and front information is hand drawn so, they don't get this. I suggested a wind chart more like the following (no response to that suggestion):

http://maps.exploroz.com/getMap.aspx?ma ... 20-32.9077

That map came from a link on the Exploroz web page. If you want to find it for you own area
http://www.exploroz.com/Places/Weather.aspx

Choose your nearest locality from a list of names (airports I think). After you have that opened, the map is embedded about half way down the page.
Cheers,
Steve
(Salmonaholic)
Many men go fishing all their lives without knowing its not fish they are after - Henry Thoreau

Snapperpaddy
KFDU Angler
Local Fishing Region: Mid north coast
Kayaks: Tarpon 120, & Tarpon 100, Fisha 460

#15 Post by Snapperpaddy » Tue Oct 20, 2015 8:52 pm

About 3 weeks ago I emailed them to consider making the headings in Bold for the 50 plus fraternity, plus at that stage they had no direction for the Swell, which is critical for choosing beach launch sites. I don't think they made any changes to the print but the 2nd issue was addressed
Win Win, catch a fish, happy days, the chance of catching a bloody big fish, even happier days

Return to “Safety”