whats a nice beach in seq to practice kayak surfing

Are you new to kayak fishing? Feel free to ask any questions here.
Paulioq
KFDU Angler
Local Fishing Region: Wynnum
Kayaks: pa14 profiha525

whats a nice beach in seq to practice kayak surfing

#1 Post by Paulioq » Thu Apr 04, 2019 7:52 pm

hello does any one know of some nice beaches with a gentle wave where I can practice surfing a ski. I have been out a couple of times from palmy and moffats but want to improve my beach ability and am wondering if any one can suggest a nice beach that isn't exposed like palm beach with its 3 to 4 banks of waves or moffats with its savage shore break. some thing in between would be nice so I don't have to eat it to hard if(more like when) I get dumped by a wave. thank you in advance for any one takeing the time to reply. cheers

unsinkable 2
KFDU Angler
Local Fishing Region: Toowoomba, Straddie, SEQ
Kayaks: Stealth Profisha 525, Old Town Vapour 10, Viking 2+1

Re: whats a nice beach in seq to practice kayak surfing

#2 Post by unsinkable 2 » Mon Apr 08, 2019 12:58 am

If you get the chance to pop over to Straddie, Adder Rock and Home Beach (the next one east after Adder) have pretty much ideal waves for learning to surf on. In a 1.2-1.5m easterly swell the waves wrap really nicely around the headland and make for some beautiful smooth rides without directly pumping onto the beach. There's usually a couple of lines of breakers too which are pretty easy to pick.
The small beaches along the headland at Noosa are a pretty similar story but on the good days they can get a bit crowded with surfers.
PBs
I caught a cobia which could eat the rest except for the mackerel which could also probably eat a lot of the things

Paulioq
KFDU Angler

#3 Post by Paulioq » Mon Apr 08, 2019 7:50 pm

unsinkable 2 wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2019 12:58 am
on the good days they can get a bit crowded.
thanks for the reply unsinkable2. I do get over stradie just not often enough am due for a weekend away. I guess that is the problem on those nice calm days, it gets the crowd out. not wanting to biff on with anyone i'll stay away from the surfers. was watching the surf cams on the phone app yesterday and looked real nice at palm beach and a few other places guess I got to pick my moments.

mAx
KFDU Angler
Local Fishing Region: Gold Coast
Kayaks: Australis Bass, Ibosa Sea Eagle

#4 Post by mAx » Sun Apr 21, 2019 2:41 pm

Yep I agree you have to pick your moments to find comfortable launching and surfing kayak conditions. Buuuuut, you'll also learn alot from being out in tough conditions too, seems to quicken the learning curve. I was told that when I first started surfing, then applied it to my yak adventures. Happy yakking!
Inhale - Exhale

Paulioq
KFDU Angler

#5 Post by Paulioq » Wed Apr 24, 2019 7:04 pm

mAx wrote:
Sun Apr 21, 2019 2:41 pm
you'll also learn alot from being out in tough conditions too
tried that didn't work something about being dumped over 3 sandbanks and the rips inbetween made me relies I need to get back to basics. don't want to over state the situation but it was bad enough for people to come over and see if I was alright once I got spat out of the water on the beach with my stealth

Ads22
KFDU 500 Club
Local Fishing Region: Rockhampton/Capricornia
Kayaks: Extreme Kayaks Fish Bandit; Viking Profish Reload

#6 Post by Ads22 » Wed Apr 24, 2019 8:09 pm

Paulioq wrote:
Wed Apr 24, 2019 7:04 pm
tried that didn't work something about being dumped over 3 sandbanks and the rips inbetween made me relies I need to get back to basics. don't want to over state the situation but it was bad enough for people to come over and see if I was alright once I got spat out of the water on the beach with my stealth
Sounds rough mate! I'm a hopeless surfer and always got rolled whenever I tried. I never felt in danger, but copped some heavy dumpings! I'm sure glad I didn't have fishing gear with me at the time! Keep at it and build your skills. I feel I am in the same position as you, learning my way with waves, only the waves here don't have the same power as down south, so I don't have much to practice on!
Yak PBs
Estuary Cod 50cm; Mangrove Jack 49cm; Barra 108cm; Flathead - dusky 62cm; Flathead - bartail 51cm; Flounder 28cm; Forktail Catfish 60cm; Bream 32cm, Sand whiting 30cm; Striped Butterfish/Scat 20cm; Barred Javelin 47cm; Bull Shark 80cm; Queenfish 103cm; Tarpon 60cm; Golden Perch 47cm; Estuary Perch 33cm; Saratoga 72cm; Leathery Grunter 43cm.

Paulioq
KFDU Angler

#7 Post by Paulioq » Wed Apr 24, 2019 11:50 pm

part of learning is reading the conditions and the time I got hammered it wasn't a nice day and was blowen out with heaps of wash, 2 to 3 ft at 9 sec intervals. after watching half a dozen other stealths go through and aborting 2 previous trips after getting to the beach to find unfavourable conditions I was keen to get out and was almost through but didn't wait in the gutter and just as I got to the outer bank a set came through and I was pushed back wards befor falling/balling of the side because I was worried of doing a backwards pitchpole when the ski sliped down the wave and the rudder dug into the sandbank.

I wasn't able to remount because of the frequency of the waves kept knocking me off so I decided to just hang on to the tail of the ski(had pfd and radio fishing rods/gear was stowed in hatch) and let the surf push me in. I got separated from the yak twice and caught in the rips inbetween the sandbars and eventually pushed 300m+ down the beach in all I was in the washing machine for 10 to 15 minutes but it felt longer then that. I'm sure I was less then a hundred meteres out to begin with.

I was concerned at first till I worked out were I was and what was going on the rest of the time was just an endurance exercise to hold onto the ski while the waves passed and ride the rips with out wasting to much energy, as it was I layed on the sand for 30minutes from exhaustion befor I even thought about packing up(had 4 big chucks of sea water as well)

not experienced with surfskis in surf crossings the conditions were to advanced for me but I still tried and I found the upper limit of my limited stealth experience and it showed me what I have to improve. once on the water I'm alright but the surf zone is my nemises at the moment and I want to gain experience with its handleing charactistics (can surf back wards aparantly) as well as the few times I have surfed, it was fun.

Return to “General Kayak and Fishing Questions”