Paddle...is dear better..?

Are you new to kayak fishing? Feel free to ask any questions here.
Kimall
KFDU Angler
Local Fishing Region: Toowoomba

Paddle...is dear better..?

#1 Post by Kimall » Sun Sep 06, 2015 9:04 pm

I have question for the more experienced paddlers on here. Does it make much difference to have a better dearer paddle.?
I guess as a pro you might tell the difference but as a beginner can you tell much benefit with a top of the line paddle.
Cheers KIM

yaqdoq
2012 Saltwater Angler of the Year
Local Fishing Region: East of Oz
Kayaks: 495 Evo

Re: Paddle...is dear better..?

#2 Post by yaqdoq » Sun Sep 06, 2015 9:30 pm

A good paddle can save you energy , injury ,frustration and in the long term - money !
Buying a better paddle straight up will only become apparent when you have some experience to appreciate just what makes a bad paddle - well , bad !

The dearest paddle may not be the right paddle for you though . A suitable quality paddle for YOU will be almost invaluable . Type of fishing ,strength , gender , ...... will all come into play.

tommo1
KFDU 1000 Club
Local Fishing Region: Coffs harbour

#3 Post by tommo1 » Sun Sep 06, 2015 9:41 pm

What Yaqdoq said x2

A good paddle with a proper setup will make a huge difference

I have a mate who's not a big paddler and was using a 90' offset aluminium shafted plastic paddle he bought for $99

I talked him into buying a decent adjustable blade paddle for $199 and on the first outing he could not believe the difference.

No more sore wrist , no blisters forming and his speed was noticeably faster

Remember your paddle is your engine. No use in have a great looking car with a 50cc engine

Once you have a decent paddle you can work on your paddle stroke and be more technically correct and proficient.
No hope in getting a better paddle stroke with a crappy paddle

Cheers

nigel
KFDU 2000 Club
Local Fishing Region: sydney & surrounding areas
Kayaks: dag midway,DD3 max ski,stellar S18S ski ozflyte ski cheeps plastic

#4 Post by nigel » Sun Sep 06, 2015 10:36 pm

Adding further to yakdog & Tommo1 s comments (agree guys) but a lot will depend on the yak your on/in have acquired 3 paddles, if I'm on e.g. on short fat roto mould Ill take one of the heavier (one blade other wing) paddles as little difference is noticed in efficiency & less care needed but for a long paddle on a glass ski the full carbon touring paddle is noticeably superior.

Pommy Nigel
ImageImage

Kimall
KFDU Angler

#5 Post by Kimall » Sun Sep 06, 2015 10:54 pm

Thanks guys is there a way to work what works best or is it trial and error.?
I don't get out with other paddlers much to try other paddles.
Cheers KIM

nigel
KFDU 2000 Club
Local Fishing Region: sydney & surrounding areas
Kayaks: dag midway,DD3 max ski,stellar S18S ski ozflyte ski cheeps plastic

#6 Post by nigel » Mon Sep 07, 2015 9:21 am

[quote="Kimall"]Thanks guys is there a way to work what works best or is it trial and error.?

Mate what yak have you got
how tall are you
how far do you paddle
is your stroke shallow or deep

phone up a reputable paddle shop (NOT ANACONDA OF BCF) talk through the different options also go onto paddle makers web sights you will find on line calculation programs or any one you see fishing from a yak ask to swap for 5 mins.

Pommy Nigel
ImageImage

tommo1
KFDU 1000 Club
Local Fishing Region: Coffs harbour

#7 Post by tommo1 » Mon Sep 07, 2015 12:13 pm

Are you left or right handed?

Get a good quality adjustable blade paddle. One that can be changed in length and offset. Skee kayaks in Mullaway makes a good one.

Dennis from AKS can help in that regard as well

That way you can set it up to your needs

Generally length is as long as high as your hand is above your head with your elbow at 90'
Offset 60' is a good start
Cheers

Jamie D
2015 Saltwater Angler of the Year
Local Fishing Region: South East Queensland and Northern New South Wales
Kayaks: Vortex VTX 560

#8 Post by Jamie D » Mon Sep 07, 2015 12:34 pm

tommo1 wrote:adjustable blade paddle. One that can be changed in length and offset.
This is the advice that I would home in on , regardless of cost. I've been injured by having the paddle length too long , you can recover in a moment from every one else on the water having a better paddle than you if you go for the cheap option , and you can recover in a moment from a dent in your wallet if you buy an expensive option , but you can't get over six weeks off the water in a moment if you injure yourself

Slick Mick
KFDU 500 Club
Local Fishing Region: NSW Illawarra/South Coast
Kayaks: Ocean Kayak Prowler 4.3 Ultra, Stellar & Fenn Surfskis, Vajda K1

#9 Post by Slick Mick » Mon Sep 07, 2015 2:21 pm

Some great advice here.

No longer have a paddle fishing yak (2015 Revo), but I do race and paddle surf skis and LR multisport racing kayaks in offshore and marathon events. Sometimes I can be paddling for several hours straight.

Learned a long time ago that a comfortable and adjustable light weight paddle is just as important, and in some cases more so, as the yak itself. Personally, I have four blades. 2 wings (Vajda and Epic) and two Werners (one being a kickarse corryvrecken that can pull massive amounts of water). Three of them are full carbon and one has a carbon blade and fibreglass shaft. No... they are not cheap (probably $2,000 worth of paddles), but they work for me and enable me to comfortably paddle for extended periods. Put it this way, my body will give out long before my wrists, arms or shoulders do.

Adjustable is the way to go. Paddling in estuaries, rivers and bays I use a 60 degree right hand offset (being right handed - doh!) and 210cm shaft length. Offshore I adjust the offset to 65-70 degrees and drop the length down to 205cm. I use the high stroke and have a very narrow catch on my skis and racing kayaks. However the closer you can get to the boat at the catch, the more water you "pull" through your stroke and combined with a wide recovery you will be surprised at the improvement in your paddling technique. An improevement that will enable you to get out to your fishing ground comfortably and with energy to spare...to fish.... :wink:

Finally, as thommo1 says, hold the shaft above your head at 90 degrees. Adjust the shaft length to form a "H". That will be your standard/optimal length.

Hope this and all the other good advice helps.

Cheers,

Mick
PB (Yak) Bonito 60cm, Bream 37cm, Dusky Flathead 49cm, Sand Flathead 47Cm, Bass 35cm (1st time Bass fishing).

dru
KFDU 500 Club
Local Fishing Region: Balmain Sydney
Kayaks: Zegul 550 (SIK), Stealth Profisha 475, Carbonology Vault (Racing Ski)

#10 Post by dru » Mon Sep 07, 2015 7:17 pm

I seem to collect paddles. A good paddle definitely makes a difference as long as it fits you. But "more expensive" on its own just means less beer money. Good advice above.

My suggestion is avoid the high end stuff including carbon. Avoid the cheap shitty stuff Li ke aluminium shafts, two point locking systems, and hobie paddles.

Standard paddle I recommend when starting out is:
1. Glass shaft.
2. Blades can be glass too but plastic is fantastic.
3. 60 degree feather is about right.
4. Squarish non symmetrical blade shapes is my choice, but symmetrical long narrow blade shape is a must if your paddle is too long.
5. If you don't yet know how long is right start at 215 cm and get two piece adjustable for length.
6. Avoid wings.
7. Don't worry about weight until one day you look to upgrade.

The right length is tested this way: hold the paddle above your head horizontal to the ground. Look at your shadow, your elbows should slightly more than a right angle. Your hands are now in the right place. Now sit in the yak and take a stroke. Stop at the end of the stroke with your top hand at nipple height and midway between your nipples. Lower hand stops in front of your hip slightly above the yak gunnel. If the blade is fully immersed, but only just. Perfect length.

All things being equal too long means overpowering your body and risk of injury. Too short means safe and encourages better style without you even thinking about it.
If something is worth doing, do it to excess.

Kimall
KFDU Angler

#11 Post by Kimall » Mon Sep 07, 2015 7:28 pm

Thanks again everyone there is so much great info there I will have to reread it a few times and jot down some points.
I will have a look for some paddling clips to have a look at the right technique.
Cheers KIM

laneends
KFDU 500 Club
Local Fishing Region: Victoria
Kayaks: Hobies Ivory Revo 16, Ivory quest 11, Red quest 13

#12 Post by laneends » Mon Sep 07, 2015 8:26 pm

Study paddling techiniques to get the most out of it too. Many fishos don't focus enough on paddling technique, as more dedicated kayakers might do.

A good paddle pays for itself when you have a prolonged paddle into a headwind.

A huge blade in a lightweight yak might provide good power, but in a heavier yak a smaller blade is like dropping a gear, big blades can be tiring

Return to “General Kayak and Fishing Questions”