Byron bay for ny

Are you new to kayak fishing? Feel free to ask any questions here.
bop34
KFDU Angler
Local Fishing Region: Melbourne

Byron bay for ny

#1 Post by bop34 » Mon Dec 28, 2015 4:33 pm

Hi yakkers heading to byron bay to see in the new year. Going to stow away my travel Rods to hooefully get some land based fishing in. Never been up there so not sure where to start surf fishing for bream and tailor is what i have read on the net. Any intel will be much appreciated

rocky
Club Co-ordinator
Local Fishing Region: Australia, I could be anywhere or everywhere
Kayaks: Hobie Outback & SWMBO's SUP

Re: Byron bay for ny

#2 Post by rocky » Mon Dec 28, 2015 4:48 pm

bop34 wrote:Hi yakkers heading to byron bay to see in the new year. Going to stow away my travel Rods to hooefully get some land based fishing in. Never been up there so not sure where to start surf fishing for bream and tailor is what i have read on the net. Any intel will be much appreciated
Just be careful of the weed up there. :wink: :grin: :roll:
Ivory Dune Hobie Outback
Yak PB: Flathead 80cm, Bream 41cm, Whiting 43cm, Tailor 50cm, Tandanus tandanus 52cm, Mullet 40cm, Barramundi 73cm, Snapper 42cm, Barred Grunter (Javelin) 47cm, Mangrove Jack 44cm Murray Cod 63cm (more to come one day)
Member of. Member of

bop34
KFDU Angler

#3 Post by bop34 » Mon Dec 28, 2015 5:06 pm

And the surfers

sigs
KFDU Angler
Local Fishing Region: Tweed valley

#4 Post by sigs » Mon Dec 28, 2015 5:32 pm

Make sure you check out the sanctuary areas of the Cape Byron marine park, from what i can remember it is split up quite a bit with fish and no fish zones. Good luck it's a great spot to visit

Seeker
KFDU Angler
Local Fishing Region: gold coast

#5 Post by Seeker » Mon Dec 28, 2015 5:43 pm

dont forget ya nsw fishing licence.

bop34
KFDU Angler

#6 Post by bop34 » Mon Dec 28, 2015 6:11 pm

Always have licences fish the murray a fair bit .... cheers i have seen the map regarding these areas

xj33pm
KFDU Angler
Local Fishing Region: Ballina and Brunswick Heads area
Kayaks: Adventure Voyager Tandem and Assassin GT

#7 Post by xj33pm » Mon Dec 28, 2015 9:49 pm

Hi, I live near Byron but Im new to fishing and Kayaking so I cant offer much, plus Im in Adelaide at the moment so cant offer a guided tour.
Anyway, if you have transport check out Brunswick Heads, 10 mins north and good for fishing the Brunswick River Estuary walls or the banks of Simpsons Creek, its worth a visit even if you dont get the rods out. There is a small tackle shop in the town and the servos sell bait etc.
Tallows beach is a good walk south of Byron and popular for surf fishing, (Ive never done it), but not that popular for surfers so plenty of room for all.
Again if you have transport Ballina is 15 mins south and has good rivers creeks and Estuaries, and tackle shops for anything you might need.
There is also a camping shop next to Woollies in Byron that sells tackle.
As I said, Im new to all this but I can PM you some Estuary spots where Ive had limited success if you need them. I think others on here will know more than I but its a start..

Cheers
Phil

bop34
KFDU Angler

#8 Post by bop34 » Tue Dec 29, 2015 6:31 am

Thanks Phill im flying out this morning and will check it out. Once i get to my accomadation i will need tackle.
CHEERS

Return to “General Kayak and Fishing Questions”