Using lure clips

Discuss fishing tackle related topics here.
seapig
KFDU Angler
Local Fishing Region: shell cove
Kayaks: Hobie Quest

Using lure clips

#1 Post by seapig » Sun Dec 30, 2018 2:53 pm

Does anyone use lure clips when using hard bodies. I have parkinsons and tying anything can be quite an adventure. Lost count of how many times i have hooked myself.
I picked up some Yakaminto lure clips but there is no wa i can use them way too small.
Any tips and advice will be much appreciated
Keith

Steve R
KFDU 1000 Club
Local Fishing Region: Eden and thereabouts
Kayaks: Hurricane Skimmer; Racing TK1 (Mr Tippy).

Re: Using lure clips

#2 Post by Steve R » Sun Dec 30, 2018 4:18 pm

The best 'clip' I know is a spinlink clip. The reason I use them is there is no faster way to swap a lure. The just slide on or off. A problem for you may be size. I mostly lure chase Salmon and they are less than fussy about the rig at the business end. The bad news is they are not generally available in Australia but need to be bought via an OS tackle store or eBay. Depending what size you need, search for 'mini link', 'speed link' or 'fast link'

Here's an image. Slip the eye on where the clip ends at an angle at the line-tied end, pull down, job done. Taking it off, you need to use a little pressure so it slips past the angled section at the other end but it is still relatively easy. I've probably lost many hundreds of Salmon to just about every reason in the book but never a failed clip.

EDIT: I remembered another alternative I considered but did not try. Carp fishing speed clips look like a lure would slide on easily. The slide off could be a little more difficult than the above style. However They are cheap as chips on eBay if you wanted to try (fifty 12mm clips for $6). The advert I read does not state breaking strain nor whether it is stainless steel. The design makes the connection look secure (need to straighten the wire it to lose a fish) but you should ask questions of the seller.

EDIT: Plus a loop knot you may find easier to tie. It may not be as strong as some other loops but you will it resembles a bowline and will be the equal of any other loop knot that resembles a bowline when tied no matter what someone decides to call it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BxH1ZCvctgE
Last edited by Steve R on Mon Dec 31, 2018 8:20 am, edited 3 times in total.
Cheers,
Steve
(Salmonaholic)
Many men go fishing all their lives without knowing its not fish they are after - Henry Thoreau

Paulioq
KFDU Angler
Local Fishing Region: Wynnum
Kayaks: pa14 profiha525

#3 Post by Paulioq » Sun Dec 30, 2018 6:15 pm

https://www.tacklewarehouse.com.au/term ... D%5B0%5D=1

couple of different styles there. from personal experience using clips does not make a difference for squid on egi jigs not sure on fish guess it depends what fish your after. whiting bream etc might not use clips but considering a flat head will eat a brick shaped like a fish with a hook in it don't think there so fussy

Ads22
KFDU 500 Club
Local Fishing Region: Rockhampton/Capricornia
Kayaks: Extreme Kayaks Fish Bandit; Viking Profish Reload

#4 Post by Ads22 » Sun Dec 30, 2018 11:13 pm

I use Mustad Fastach clips. They have a twist on connection like the TT weights for Snake Lockz etc.

I mostly use the 14kg size as the smaller ones are too small and fiddly. They have held up to Queenfish and Barra and I catch plenty of Bream, etc on them.
Yak PBs
Estuary Cod 50cm; Mangrove Jack 49cm; Barra 108cm; Flathead - dusky 62cm; Flathead - bartail 51cm; Flounder 28cm; Forktail Catfish 60cm; Bream 32cm, Sand whiting 30cm; Striped Butterfish/Scat 20cm; Barred Javelin 47cm; Bull Shark 80cm; Queenfish 103cm; Tarpon 60cm; Golden Perch 47cm; Estuary Perch 33cm; Saratoga 72cm; Leathery Grunter 43cm.

Paulioq
KFDU Angler
Local Fishing Region: Wynnum
Kayaks: pa14 profiha525

#5 Post by Paulioq » Mon Dec 31, 2018 7:14 am

Ads22 wrote:
Sun Dec 30, 2018 11:13 pm
catch plenty of Bream, etc on them.
hmm interesting I did a bit of experimenting last summer with mixed results not enough information to decide definitively if clips stop fish bitting. interesting to hear other peoples experiances using clips. I'm always concerned about my presentation but considering theres usually a bib half the size of the lure infront of it(tango shad50mm etc) I may be over thinking it that a clip will stop a bite.

Mackayak
KFDU 1000 Club
Local Fishing Region: Far North Coast NSW, Ballina
Kayaks: Revolution 13 Revolution 11

#6 Post by Mackayak » Mon Dec 31, 2018 7:56 am

I have all ways used clips with hard bodies the ones I use are speed clips https://www.bcf.com.au/p/bill-norman-ma ... 24323.html have also found them at my local shop. Found them good the only problem with my fingers and eye sight normal use pliers to open them. :glad:
PB's From yak:
Fresh Water: Saratoga 51cm YES; Barra 110cm; Murray Cod 78cm; Golden Perch 45cm; Bass 44cm;EP 38cm
Salt Water: Snapper 62cm; Jew 83cm; Flathead 71cm; Mangrove Jack 37cm; Whiting 35cm; Bream 37cm; Trevally 38cm; Tailor 34cm;

Ramjet
KFDU Angler
Local Fishing Region: NSW Hunter Valley

#7 Post by Ramjet » Mon Dec 31, 2018 8:07 pm

Thanks for this post and the replies. As a newbie to kayaks and lure fishing, I find myself changing lures regularly to try find the "right" lure. Mostly chasing bass ATM.

Dodge
KFDU 2000 Club
Local Fishing Region: Gold Coast, Qld
Kayaks: Swing 400, and Pacer

#8 Post by Dodge » Mon Dec 31, 2018 9:46 pm

seapig wrote:
Sun Dec 30, 2018 2:53 pm
I have parkinsons and tying anything can be quite an adventure. Lost count of how many times i have hooked myself.
I picked up some Yakaminto lure clips but there is no wa i can use them way too small.
Keith
Keith with your health issue reckon you could not fault Gemini Snood Clips

First saw them on post by Nicho who used them on his lures, tried them and never lost a fish or had one fail.
Nicho Clip.JPG
They just slide into place, and unless the omega clip on the bib need a split ring to keep the clip in place I remove the ring and slide the snood clip directly onto the bibs omega clip as it also pivots like a split ring when in place. Note in the picture above the snood clip is on the split ring

Slide the clip on is easy, but a little more effort required to remove from the lure, generally all fingers and no pliers required

https://www.veals.co.uk/acatalog/gemini ... 0-507.html
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Cheers RICHO [the older one]
Team Member of... Old Farts.... GREEN GINGER.... GC/NRKFC .... Usually monitor UHF29
Perception Swing 400, lime/yellow .... homemade timber Anon lures
Accept some days you're the pidgeon, and on other days you're the statue

NorthSIKer
KFDU 1000 Club
Local Fishing Region: North Queensland
Kayaks: Mirage 582, Kaskazi Skua

#9 Post by NorthSIKer » Tue Jan 01, 2019 7:55 pm

Steve R wrote:
Sun Dec 30, 2018 4:18 pm
The best 'clip' I know is a spinlink clip.
Got to agree. I did a post up about them (There are other brands) a while ago here: https://www.kfdu.com.au/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=50388

arpie
2011 Saltwater Angler of the Year
Local Fishing Region: mid north coast
Kayaks: Hobie Sport, Perception Minnow

#10 Post by arpie » Thu Jan 03, 2019 7:31 pm

For my lighter fishing I like the Decoy Spiral Snaps (no moving parts!) They are incredibly strong & only give trouble if you somehow 'straighten them' by forcing them onto a a hook/lure that is too thick for it! To get around this - just put a split ring on the lure/hook & THEN the Decoy Spiral

I've been using them for 10 years now & the biggest fish landed is my PB flattie at about 90cm .... so it can take pressure.
Decoy Spiral 2.png
There are smaller ones too
Decoy Spiral 1.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
(Mark's) Prostaff Member: Ten20 Rods

Adventure before Dementia

Perception Minnow - "Squidgies" Hobie Sport - "Fisharoo"

clutch
KFDU Angler
Local Fishing Region: Port Hacking, Cowan Creek (Tailor Salmon Flathead) Upper Nepean (Bass)
Kayaks: Old Town Loon 111 sit in

#11 Post by clutch » Fri Jan 04, 2019 2:36 pm

Like some others I have developed a tremor with age, and this makes retying a lure difficult out in the dark kayak fishing for bass. (And no FG knots) I use a duolock snap, size 3. I used to use a smaller size, 2, but I find this size easier to use and doesn't seem to put fish off.
YAK PBs... Flathead 75 cm, Silver Trevally 55 cm, Tailor 50 cm, Australian Salmon 50 cm, Wild Bass 44 cm, Bream 32 cm, Estuary Perch 32 cm, one squid, one pike

clutch
KFDU Angler
Local Fishing Region: Port Hacking, Cowan Creek (Tailor Salmon Flathead) Upper Nepean (Bass)
Kayaks: Old Town Loon 111 sit in

#12 Post by clutch » Fri Jan 04, 2019 2:36 pm

Like some others I have developed a tremor with age, and this makes retying a lure difficult out in the dark kayak fishing for bass. (And no FG knots) I use a duolock snap, size 3. I used to use a smaller size, 2, but I find this size easier to use and doesn't seem to put fish off.
YAK PBs... Flathead 75 cm, Silver Trevally 55 cm, Tailor 50 cm, Australian Salmon 50 cm, Wild Bass 44 cm, Bream 32 cm, Estuary Perch 32 cm, one squid, one pike

Return to “Tackle Talk”