Braid line chinese copies

Discuss fishing tackle related topics here.
revolt
KFDU Angler
Local Fishing Region: adelaide

Braid line chinese copies

#1 Post by revolt » Sun Jul 08, 2018 2:56 am

Looking on ebay and on utube. Seems that there's a lot of dodgy Chinese cheap braid out there with just about identical packaging and labelling to good recognised brands. Eg Castaway braid is made by a company called Sunline and is a good product. Ebay have braid labelled Castaway,it looks identical to Sunline packaging but its fake. Mind you for $10 for 300mts of 10lb braid what do you expect. There' fake Spiderwire, Powerpro.and others.Anyone using this.

Edstar
KFDU Angler
Local Fishing Region: Brissy goldy
Kayaks: Stealth splash, hobie outback, Eric's tunny

Re: Braid line chinese copies

#2 Post by Edstar » Sun Jul 08, 2018 9:57 am

I’ve used a bunch. Some are better than other. All have been better than Aldi braid. So I think if ur using it on a light weight sp rod I prefer the real stuff. It casts better. If it the heavier stuff for bottom bashing or trolling I go Ebay every time and I have no problem recommending it to friends. 1/10 of the price. And hasn’t let me down. Some reviews says it breaks frays or bleeds colour. But I personally never had a problem. Got at least 4 rods with Chinese braid on them. From 25lb to 60lb no probs.
I’ve used a lot of spectra braid. But yrs ago maybe close to 10yrs. there wasn’t much in variety of brands back then. Now there’s so many with similar names I can remember which one i ordered last time.
Give it a go. It’s so cheap anyways. I recently bought 30lb 1000m for $18.
Edstar

revolt
KFDU Angler

#3 Post by revolt » Sun Jul 08, 2018 10:31 am

Have ordered some Kastking10lb 130mts for $5 from Kastking on ebay also some 10lb 300mt labelled as Castaway for $10 this is obviously fake they cant spell the word line. ( is spelt lime)
Oh well give it a go not much to lose?

laneends
KFDU 500 Club
Local Fishing Region: Victoria
Kayaks: Hobies Ivory Revo 16, Ivory quest 11, Red quest 13

#4 Post by laneends » Sun Jul 08, 2018 3:55 pm

Good for general run of the mill bait fishing, had some on my reels that have lasted a few years without any unexpected failures. Tend to be thicker and not as smooth as quality stuff so you will get less on a reel and casting wont be as smooth/distance/accurate so if you are a precision lure fisho then better to stick to known quality. Probably best to stay away from the lighter ones which could misbehave more. Mine are generally 12lb-30lb. I have tried 10lb but seem to get a lot of tangles.

laneends
KFDU 500 Club

#5 Post by laneends » Sun Jul 08, 2018 3:58 pm

revolt wrote:Have ordered some Kastking10lb 130mts for $5 from Kastking on ebay also some 10lb 300mt labelled as Castaway for $10 this is obviously fake they cant spell the word line. ( is spelt lime)
Oh well give it a go not much to lose?
Give away on the fake ones is they will most likely have the same product number regardless of which size you get. Be careful of Ebay sellers who buy the cheap stuff from china and then resell locally at a higher price tempting you to think you are getting the real McCoy.

revolt
KFDU Angler

#6 Post by revolt » Wed Jul 25, 2018 10:50 pm

I joined up two lengths of braid. Berkly Fireline and Chinese Castaway line. Both same breaking strain. I pulled the line until it snapped. Every time the Berkley line snapped. I tried the Chinese line only to test its knot strength. It did not snap at the knots which was a surprise. I also took delivery of KastKing 10lb braid. It is very thin only 0.09 mm compared to other brands which are on average 0.12mm. Seems to be good quality line.

nobrandbali
KFDU Angler
Local Fishing Region: Wamberal, central coast, NSW
Kayaks: Evo 495

#7 Post by nobrandbali » Fri Jul 27, 2018 11:08 am

kastking is good brand and also cheap too. I use mostly 30lb to 50lb for live baiting or jigging

backlash
KFDU Angler
Local Fishing Region: sydney northern beaches

#8 Post by backlash » Sat Jul 28, 2018 8:55 pm

been using fishingsir godline and sea lion for approx 6 years , kayak and spinning the rocks , great stuff, cheap,
thin , good knots and smooth.

Ebenezer
KFDU Angler
Local Fishing Region: Mid state N.S.W Waterways

#9 Post by Ebenezer » Tue Feb 12, 2019 5:27 pm

I bought what I thought was 100 metres of 10 pound braid from Big W. It looked good on the spool instore, but when I placed it on the spool, it was only 25 metres. Ok so I was disappointed to say the least but in true Big W tradition they didn't believe me! We have two stores in our town that sells fishing gear, that's Big W, but no more from there. And there's Camping World which is known in these parts as Diamond Traders. You need to mortgage your house to pay for a fishing licence. So I won't be using braid anytime soon!

laneends
KFDU 500 Club

#10 Post by laneends » Wed Feb 13, 2019 12:02 am

Ebenezer wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 5:27 pm
I bought what I thought was 100 metres of 10 pound braid from Big W. It looked good on the spool instore, but when I placed it on the spool, it was only 25 metres. Ok so I was disappointed to say the least but in true Big W tradition they didn't believe me! We have two stores in our town that sells fishing gear, that's Big W, but no more from there. And there's Camping World which is known in these parts as Diamond Traders. You need to mortgage your house to pay for a fishing licence. So I won't be using braid anytime soon!
Buy on line

Return to “Tackle Talk”