Replacing Bail Arm spring

Discuss fishing tackle related topics here.
kkw
KFDU Angler
Local Fishing Region: Port Hacking/Botany Bay, New South Wales

Replacing Bail Arm spring

#1 Post by kkw » Wed Nov 27, 2019 3:18 pm

I have a Daiwa D Shock 2500 reel and the bail arm spring is broken. The tackle shop checked it out and gave me the broken spring, so that I could try and get one in Sydney. Had one sent out to me and it is identical (except the old one is snapped) but I cannot for the life of me work out how to fit it back in. Can anyone help? A diagram, or better still a photo of the spring in place on a reel, would be terrific. If not, it's off to the tackle shop, if I can find one which actually does reel repairs. Thanks in advance.

Steve R
KFDU 1000 Club
Local Fishing Region: Eden and thereabouts
Kayaks: Hurricane Skimmer; Racing TK1 (Mr Tippy).

Re: Replacing Bail Arm spring

#2 Post by Steve R » Thu Nov 28, 2019 4:34 pm

A search of YouTube may help. You may not find the same model. All you need is one that works the same way.

Maybe this? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x7mwrlN2xd0

You should be able to find the schematic on the Daiwa website. Search for your model number
https://www.daiwa.com/us/service/manuals/index.html
Cheers,
Steve
(Salmonaholic)
Many men go fishing all their lives without knowing its not fish they are after - Henry Thoreau

kkw
KFDU Angler

#3 Post by kkw » Fri Nov 29, 2019 6:40 am

Thanks Steve. Yes I have seen the youtube clip and many others as well. My reel is a lot newer and has a different spring arrangement. None of the Daiwa schematics are for my reel I have spoken with Daiwa and they sent me a schematic but it hasn't helped me. Off to Tackleworld today to get them to fit it for me.

kkw
KFDU Angler

#4 Post by kkw » Tue Dec 03, 2019 7:37 am

OK, reel fixed. Took it to Fergos at Caringbah. He said replacing the spring is as easy as tying shoelaces, but until you have been shown how to do it, it is hit and miss. The actual placement of the spring was not at all like the schematic which Daiwa sent me. :roll:

Return to “Tackle Talk”