Treble Hooks

Discuss fishing tackle related topics here.
mowzeh
KFDU Angler
Local Fishing Region: Sydney

Treble Hooks

#1 Post by mowzeh » Fri Aug 19, 2016 7:26 am

So after changing the trebles on my lures (I used owner and decoy hooks), I went out for a couple of hours on Tuesday. It was a great day to be out in Sydney and the fishing proved worthwhile. After my day ended I made sure to rinse my lures in freshwater but that didn't stop the rust. The next day the hooks on the lures I'd used were rusted. At $10+ for a pack of 8 trebles I'd go broke replacing hooks all the time.

So I had a look on eBay and I found an ad for the masterpro brand of trebles, ~$15 for a pack of 60, in a range of sizes. Does anyone have any experience with this brand or any other brand of trebles on eBay? Are they as sharp as name brand hooks and is your hookup rate the same? At that price I'm not too worried about rust.

Cheers.

Dodge
KFDU 2000 Club
Local Fishing Region: Gold Coast, Qld
Kayaks: Swing 400, and Pacer

Re: Treble Hooks

#2 Post by Dodge » Fri Aug 19, 2016 9:23 am

mowzeh wrote:After my day ended I made sure to rinse my lures in freshwater but that didn't stop the rust.
Mate try this tip seen on a forum some years ago, as feel it helps.

Take a small jar of freshwater along when fishing, immediately you remove the lure from the line drop it into the water and leave it there until you get home, no air seems to slow/stop the rusting.

My lures get this treatment when fishing salt, and on getting home just air dry them, and all is good after many outings .... they get no other treatment to stop rust.
Cheers RICHO [the older one]
Team Member of... Old Farts.... GREEN GINGER.... GC/NRKFC .... Usually monitor UHF29
Perception Swing 400, lime/yellow .... homemade timber Anon lures
Accept some days you're the pidgeon, and on other days you're the statue

TJofTheBay
KFDU Angler
Local Fishing Region: North Brisbane
Kayaks: Viking Profish 45

#3 Post by TJofTheBay » Fri Aug 19, 2016 1:42 pm

I get hooks from scizz tackle , good price and quality hooks .

When I get home from fishing I drop lures into a bowl of warm water , dry them of with a paper towel then give the hooks a squirt with lanoline . No rust and doesn't affect the bite at all .
I read the tip here I think , tried it and haven't looked back .

Green Hornet
KFDU Angler
Local Fishing Region: NSW South Coast Estuaries and Lakes
Kayaks: Outback

#4 Post by Green Hornet » Fri Aug 19, 2016 4:52 pm

I've used Decoys for years and never had a rusting issue.
I throw my lures in a bucket of fresh water when I get home and let them soak while I wash the kayak and other stuff.
Take them out, let them dry and then spray the hooks with tuna oil (the stuff they add to berley mixes) in a squirty bottle.
The stuff dries and leaves a film on the hooks, leaving them in perfect condition for the next session.
Plus it solves any doubts about weather oils or whatever you use put the fish off.

manno
KFDU Angler
Local Fishing Region: Melb

#5 Post by manno » Sun Aug 21, 2016 6:41 pm

I only use decoys. Lures rinsed in warm fresh water then hung up to dry completely before going back into their trays wont rust.

pavo
KFDU 3000 Club
Local Fishing Region: Coffs coast
Kayaks: Stealth Fisfa 500. Hobie PA 14 ,Oldtown loon 111 in cammo

#6 Post by pavo » Mon Aug 22, 2016 8:19 pm

VMC all the way.
A good tip with the plyers you use to grab yout hooks with to dehook, put some heat shrink on the tips to prevent scratching the coating off the hooks

mowzeh
KFDU Angler
Local Fishing Region: Sydney

#7 Post by mowzeh » Wed Aug 24, 2016 11:25 am

I like to keep a pair of split ring pliers with me all the time, will the heat shrink affect its ability to remove split rings?

Return to “Tackle Talk”