Replacing mesh on vantage seat

Want to work on your kayak yourself? Need some help or have any advice to offer?
flattyakker
KFDU 1000 Club
Local Fishing Region: Sydney South

Replacing mesh on vantage seat

#1 Post by flattyakker » Mon Nov 26, 2018 9:49 pm

Had an issue with fraying mesh (backrest) on my 2015 Outback Vantage seat, read up on a few forums to find Hobie US had honoured a few claims but within a two year warranty period.
Faulty mesh on seat (2).jpg
I wrote to Hobie Australasia but was told that my 2015 Outback was well out of warranty. A Life Aquatic offered a replacement at cost but it was still around $600 so I wrote to Hobie US and then Hobie Australasia offered a replacement mesh for around $45 and sent the part to Sydney. While I was having a large rudder and new sounder wiring fitted at Life Aquatic, Simon (Manager) gave me the replacement mesh :wink: A few beers and a 30 minute youtube study saw me attempt to replace the frayed mesh. It took a while and was very fiddly but I pulled it off in about 40 minutes.
Beats a $600 replacement :grin:
New mesh fitted (4).jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Cheers,

Rob

Hobie 2015 Mirage Outback with sunroof[dune]

Jewfish 1.11m & 1.08m, Flathead 97cm &96cm x 2, Bream 43cm, Luderick 36cm, Trevally 45cm, Whiting 43cm, Long Tom 80cm, Kingfish 65cm, calamari 35cm (hood).

arpie
2011 Saltwater Angler of the Year
Local Fishing Region: mid north coast
Kayaks: Hobie Sport, Perception Minnow

Re: Replacing mesh on vantage seat

#2 Post by arpie » Tue Nov 27, 2018 7:26 am

Well done, Rob! A little whinge will often reap rewards!! It has happened to a few people, from what I've heard - and it is not as if you are on the 'big side' or overweight, putting more pressure on it!!

Yep - go to head office USA if the locals don't come to the party ......

cheers

Roberta
(Mark's) Prostaff Member: Ten20 Rods

Adventure before Dementia

Perception Minnow - "Squidgies" Hobie Sport - "Fisharoo"

laneends
KFDU 500 Club
Local Fishing Region: Victoria
Kayaks: Hobies Ivory Revo 16, Ivory quest 11, Red quest 13

#3 Post by laneends » Wed Nov 28, 2018 8:14 pm

Thats the going rate for a replacement mesh panel anyway, not sure they were doing anything special for you.

My seat bottom is starting to tear after 2 1/2 years and up for much same cost for mesh panel alone

flattyakker
KFDU 1000 Club
Local Fishing Region: Sydney South

#4 Post by flattyakker » Sun Dec 02, 2018 8:34 pm

Laneends

I hope the bottom mesh isn't too much more fiddly. Lucky I escaped the cost of the mesh!
Cheers,

Rob

Hobie 2015 Mirage Outback with sunroof[dune]

Jewfish 1.11m & 1.08m, Flathead 97cm &96cm x 2, Bream 43cm, Luderick 36cm, Trevally 45cm, Whiting 43cm, Long Tom 80cm, Kingfish 65cm, calamari 35cm (hood).

Return to “Do It Yourself”