I have cut a hole in my hull!

Want to work on your kayak yourself? Need some help or have any advice to offer?
andybear
KFDU Angler
Local Fishing Region: Scarborough
Kayaks: Stealth Evo465

I have cut a hole in my hull!

#1 Post by andybear » Fri Oct 11, 2019 4:50 pm

Hi all,
I expect the first question wil be, why would I do such a thing? And it's a fair point.
A few months ago, a lot of my stuff was either stolen or damaged during and event at home involving family. In short, my hummingbird fish finder (head unit only) got stolen. I have been unable to source another unit of the same type. My kayak, is a stealth Evo, and the transducer has been very very thoroughly bonded to the inside of the hull, where there is little space to do any repairs or alterations. The transducer had been shooting through the hull. Finding the removal of the transducer, and cleaning up impossible, I decided to cut it out through the bottom of the hull. The plan then involved making an inverted box to hold the new transducer in place, where it will be in contact with the water, within it's own cavity. I purchased a garmin striker unit, and fashioned a wooden plug (as a mould in fibreglass) to accommodate the quite long transducer.
my first mould was a failure, mainly due to not being able to find a suitable mould release agent, but I am at the point now, where I have the box almost ready to take the wiring, cable glands and so on, before being bonded to the hull.
I will post pictures later, I started this post earlier in the day and saved it as a draft.......but cannon't find it. I hope to have the setup working within a couple of weeks and will see if I can finally have a win

Cheers all Andybear :glad:

I have a bit of a picture here now, not very clear, but it shows a wooden plug (which is not the one that I am actually using, the one shown failed to release and the next plug I made with some taper in its shape. The plug is shown next to the hole in the hull. The other shot is of the unfinished (yet to be clean up) box to seal the hull and hold the transducer

Final picture is the rough glass box.The wooden plug that I did use is not shown.

I have just added another photo of the transducer well as seen from almost sideways, it does project very slightly from the hull, and the work is not very well faired off. I can perhaps smarten it up later.I have poured water into the well, and hope to see it is still there in the morning.

Cheers all Andybear :wink:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by andybear on Tue Oct 15, 2019 6:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.
When in trouble, delegate. When in doubt, mumble

Dodge
KFDU 2000 Club
Local Fishing Region: Gold Coast, Qld
Kayaks: Swing 400, and Pacer

Re: I have cut a hole in my hull!

#2 Post by Dodge » Mon Oct 14, 2019 10:19 am

A nice DIY project, and should work well when finished andy.
Cheers RICHO [the older one]
Team Member of... Old Farts.... GREEN GINGER.... GC/NRKFC .... Usually monitor UHF29
Perception Swing 400, lime/yellow .... homemade timber Anon lures
Accept some days you're the pidgeon, and on other days you're the statue

labrat
KFDU Angler
Local Fishing Region: Adelaide
Kayaks: Laker 13 S&G, Curlew SOF, cedar strip own design

#3 Post by labrat » Tue Oct 15, 2019 8:18 pm

It's an advantage having a glass hull in this situation - I suspect repairing this in a plastic one would be much more difficult.

Anyhow, was all of the water still there this morning?

andybear
KFDU Angler

#4 Post by andybear » Wed Oct 16, 2019 7:52 am

Hi mate,

I am very happy to say, not a drop of water lost overnight. The garmin is now installed registered and just about ready for me to take her to the water. Probably just for a paddle and see if the quick draw will draw the map as i go. There being no built in mapping for the striker 5cv.

Cheers Andybear

Ads22
KFDU 500 Club
Local Fishing Region: Rockhampton/Capricornia
Kayaks: Extreme Kayaks Fish Bandit; Viking Profish Reload

#5 Post by Ads22 » Wed Oct 16, 2019 12:08 pm

Looks like a top job andybear.

Is your unit the Striker Plus, and can you download Quickdraw maps for it from the Quickdraw community? If so, this would speed up the mapping process and you could just fill in the areas that haven't been mapped. If not, then bugger!
Yak PBs
Estuary Cod 50cm; Mangrove Jack 49cm; Barra 108cm; Flathead - dusky 62cm; Flathead - bartail 51cm; Flounder 28cm; Forktail Catfish 60cm; Bream 32cm, Sand whiting 30cm; Striped Butterfish/Scat 20cm; Barred Javelin 47cm; Bull Shark 80cm; Queenfish 103cm; Tarpon 60cm; Golden Perch 47cm; Estuary Perch 33cm; Saratoga 72cm; Leathery Grunter 43cm.

andybear
KFDU Angler

Re: I have cut a hole in my hull! Sinking slowly

#6 Post by andybear » Wed Oct 16, 2019 3:56 pm

Regret to say it looks as though I am unable to share with my model of striker. The power cord has an extra pair of wires one for send and one for receive, but (as far as I can tell) no way, even with the active captain app.

I hope I am wrong though! Perhaps I should take a closer look at this app, it is a striker plus 5cv

Cheers Andybear :grr:

Edit. Garmin state that this is not a chartplotter

Another edit. I did take out the yak for a paddle a couple of days ago. I thought things were going quite nicely, until I recovered the yak from the water, and found it to be very heavy. I seems I took on about 20 litres of water.
Subsequent examinations showed that the actual part that I made did not leak as tested. The problem was where the new well had been bonded to the yak,( which I had not proven) had been leaking quite badly. This was verified by using food colouring added to a quantity of water put in the hull, and examination with a small movie camera (As I could not get the yak into a position to see (yak being on a table) what was going on.

I have gone on to repair the problem, and will test for leaks tomorrow. Funny how you are not necessarily aware that you are slowly sinking!

Cheers all andybear :lek:

Return to “Do It Yourself”