DIY pvc yabbie/bait pump

Want to work on your kayak yourself? Need some help or have any advice to offer?
Plakkyboat
KFDU 500 Club
Local Fishing Region: Burnett Coastal & Rivers
Kayaks: Wedded to "Glass" + a bit of "Plastic" on the side

DIY pvc yabbie/bait pump

#1 Post by Plakkyboat » Wed Dec 02, 2015 4:21 pm

Hi all,

Just finished my first (rough finish) version of a basic DIY yabbie pump made from mostly pvc parts.
There are several videos online that demonstrate ideas.
My design is similar but somewhat unique by comparison with the handle attachment method.

The main tube is 610mm of standard 50mm pvc plumbing pipe with a cap at one end and a 20mm hole in the cap for the pvc draw shaft.
No glue used means all parts are easily removed and/or replaced. No glue necessary.

Only tested in water so far but it manages to lift almost 2 litres in one pump.
Fingers crossed it will work okay in mud.

The rubber flange is not smooth because I removed the rough (scissor) cut edges with an orbital sander.
At this point I believe it doesn't need to be perfectly smooth to work properly.
However I am currently fiddling with the idea of making a 'cookie cutter' (pipe section) to more efficiently punch out neater smoother flanges from my flange material pad.

The flange material is similar to a rubber thong and is cut from a closed cellular foam board that was meant as a gardening kneeling pad (Bunnings product).
Also, the flange is also easily removed (onsite) if replacement is necessary.

The aluminium washers either side of the rubber flange are made from a piece of 40mm x 40mm aluminium angle (cut and shaped with a 4 inch grinder).
No need for these pressure plates to be perfectly rounded. They just need to be clear of the inside of the main pipe by approximately 5mm each side.

I used a nylon thread and 2 nylon locking wing nuts (old toilet seat parts) to squeeze the rubber flange between the aluminium plates and create a tight fit inside the pipe.

If the nylon thread fails, I'll redesign it and use a stainless steel cup head bolt (that locks up inside the 20mm cap)
On the other end there'll be a stainless wing nut to lock over a normal stainless nut on the thread.

Just one locknut would work better but it wouldn't be so easy to remove on loacation if the flange needs replacing for any reason.
A wing nut without a locking nut can work its way loose and get lost in the mud. That's why I prefer to use a locking nut underneath the wing nut (nylon or stainless).

Also I made a spare rubber flange to carry on board, just in case.

The side handle is attached via a 20mm pvc T piece that has been cut in half along the longest edge and flattened with a heat gun so it can be riveted with 3/16th aluminium rivets.
Both the draw handle and side handle are easily removed for storage purposes in or on my ski.

Hopefully the pics below will explain whatever I may have missed in my build method description above.
Yabbie Pump 01.JPG
Yabbie Pump 02.JPG
Yabbie Pump 03.JPG
Yabbie Pump 04.JPG
Yabbie Pump 05.JPG
Yabbie Pump 06.JPG
Yabbie Pump 07.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Cheers -- Paul
My first true love was the Sea. After threescore spins around the Sun...she's still there...as my mistress — Plakkyboat Image

Wombat280
KFDU Angler
Local Fishing Region: Mid North Coast NSW

Re: DIY pvc yabbie/bait pump

#2 Post by Wombat280 » Sun Dec 06, 2015 10:22 am

Just after WW2 and money was very tight in my home my dad had a yabbie pump that I recall was that was merely a discard 75mm cannon shell with two handles made of dowel with two small drilled holes in the top/ base . The operational method was while on your knees you pushed it into the sand/ mud down as far as could bend then stick your thumbs over the holes and pull it out and shake the sand / mud onto the sand to extract the yabbies/ worms , it was a dirt job but productive just the same . I now understand why I was so fit when I joined up in the service in the sixties .

I know this is a little off track but someone may recall the same type of bait pump
If you don't stand behind our troops feel free to stand in front

arpie
2011 Saltwater Angler of the Year
Local Fishing Region: mid north coast
Kayaks: Hobie Sport, Perception Minnow

#3 Post by arpie » Sun Dec 06, 2015 11:06 am

Well done, paul! Awesome job! I still have an old Alvey one somewhere ..... :wink: I remember my Dad had an old brass one - I think my brother has it now.

Yours would work just as well, I reckon, if not better!! :gu: See if you can get some video of it 'in action'! That would be neat! :wink:

cheers

Roberta
(Mark's) Prostaff Member: Ten20 Rods

Adventure before Dementia

Perception Minnow - "Squidgies" Hobie Sport - "Fisharoo"

Plakkyboat
KFDU 500 Club

#4 Post by Plakkyboat » Mon Dec 07, 2015 1:51 pm

Well done, paul! Awesome job! I still have an old Alvey one somewhere ..... :wink: I remember my Dad had an old brass one - I think my brother has it now.

Yours would work just as well, I reckon, if not better!! :gu: See if you can get some video of it 'in action'! That would be neat! :wink:

cheers Roberta
Thanks Roberta, my Dad had a brass yabbie pump too. In fact I came across it about 6 months ago.
I am pretty sure it also belonged to his Dad (my Grandfather) and therefore may have qualified as 'vintage'.
I thought I would never need to use it again so I added the brass pump to an overdue clean-up load for the local dump.

It's not that I regret parting with it. I figure a pvc pump is more suited to a kayak or glass ski like mine.
Having said that, there are many chrerished childhood memories attached to that brass yabbie pump and those I will never throw out. :wink:

The pvc pump is able to be stored onboard without the handles attached if necessary and all parts can be easily and economically replaced by me.

Up until now, I have always gone kayak fishing alone and don't have a body or stake attachment for my point and shoot waterproof Nikon camera.
Perhaps when I'm using it on the mud flats I'll come across an obliging boatie who'll record me pumping some yabbies with the pvc pump.
I'll see what I can do and add some 'action' video to this post if I manage to get something worth showing.
Cheers -- Paul
My first true love was the Sea. After threescore spins around the Sun...she's still there...as my mistress — Plakkyboat Image

inspiredbyfishing
KFDU Angler
Local Fishing Region: sunshine to gold coast
Kayaks: FeelFree Moken 10 Lite

#5 Post by inspiredbyfishing » Wed Dec 09, 2015 8:46 pm

this is fantastic, I might give It a try.
Time has no meaning when you're free.

Plakkyboat
KFDU 500 Club

#6 Post by Plakkyboat » Mon Dec 28, 2015 11:37 pm

arpie wrote:Well done, paul! Awesome job! I still have an old Alvey one somewhere ..... :wink: I remember my Dad had an old brass one - I think my brother has it now.
cheers Roberta
Hi Roberta,

Here's a couple of pics of the pump after putting it to work last Sunday.
I also made a short video of the pump in action and will post it soon...soon as I remember how to do so.... :?:
Main thing is that it works..... :wink:
DIY Yabbie Pump Works.JPG
Yabbies up close.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Cheers -- Paul

Plakkyboat
KFDU 500 Club

#7 Post by Plakkyboat » Tue Dec 29, 2015 12:44 am

Okay here's the video...Enjoy !

Cheers -- Paul

arpie
2011 Saltwater Angler of the Year
Local Fishing Region: mid north coast
Kayaks: Hobie Sport, Perception Minnow

#8 Post by arpie » Tue Dec 29, 2015 4:21 pm

Woohoo!! Proof is in the pudding!! Well done, Paul - there'll be no stopping you now!! :wink:

Roberta
(Mark's) Prostaff Member: Ten20 Rods

Adventure before Dementia

Perception Minnow - "Squidgies" Hobie Sport - "Fisharoo"

Wombat280
KFDU Angler
Local Fishing Region: Mid North Coast NSW

#9 Post by Wombat280 » Wed Dec 30, 2015 3:05 pm

Great works well I assume it's lighter than the conventional brass ,cooper or stainless units.

Note you where working alone pumping and picking up. Stating the obvious I use a garden sieve to blow the sand into then drag it through the water to reveal my catch when I don't have a helper. Nice work with the PVC .
If you don't stand behind our troops feel free to stand in front

Plakkyboat
KFDU 500 Club

#10 Post by Plakkyboat » Wed Dec 30, 2015 3:47 pm

Wombat280 wrote:Great works well I assume it's lighter than the conventional brass ,cooper or stainless units.

Note you where working alone pumping and picking up. Stating the obvious I use a garden sieve to blow the sand into then drag it through the water to reveal my catch when I don't have a helper. Nice work with the PVC .
Yep, incredibly lighter than metal versions. No scratching on or inside the hull either.

It also fits inside the storage compartment (on my Kaskazi Dorado 2) that extends from the rectangular hatch between my legs to the bow
Even better it fits through the the front round hatch (that the Stealths unfortunately don't have as a standard fitting).

That means not having to pull out anything stored at the rear of this long storage compartment via the rectangular hatch opening between my legs. Win-Win !
See the pic below to understand what I mean.

Good idea to use a garden sieve.

Because I only require a minimal number of yabbies for my needs, it means I don't need to pump very many for one trip.
If I do pump more yabbies than I actually use on the day, I'll find another fisherman who wants them so they don't go to waste. What goes around....

Thanks for your great comments "W".
2 hatch openings at front.JPG
Cheers -- Paul

billp
KFDU Angler
Local Fishing Region: South East QLD
Kayaks: Ultra 4.3

#11 Post by billp » Sat Jan 02, 2016 8:40 pm

Nice job. I also made my own. Best thing I have found is they float. Perfect for the yak.

Plakkyboat
KFDU 500 Club

#12 Post by Plakkyboat » Sat Jan 09, 2016 3:55 pm

billp wrote:Nice job. I also made my own. Best thing I have found is they float. Perfect for the yak.
You're absolutely right Billp. After this relatively easy DIY job, I'd never go back to owning a metal yabbie pump, kayak friendly or not. :wink:

Cheap and simple to make, cheap and easy to self-service or repair if necessary, floats, compacts into smaller spaces if necessary via removable handles.
Let's not forget the satisfaction of making your own yabbie pump that works as well as a 'bought' one..... What's not to like ? :grin:
Cheers -- Paul

Return to “Do It Yourself”