Railblaza CTug Trolley Strap & Buckle Mod

Want to work on your kayak yourself? Need some help or have any advice to offer?
Plakkyboat
KFDU 500 Club
Local Fishing Region: Burnett Coastal & Rivers
Kayaks: Wedded to "Glass" + a bit of "Plastic" on the side

Railblaza CTug Trolley Strap & Buckle Mod

#1 Post by Plakkyboat » Mon Jan 11, 2016 3:23 pm

Hi all,

Recently the plastic 'click' style buckle on my CTug trolley broke.
I emailed Railzblazla directly in New Zealand and the owner of the company kindly posted me a replacement plastic cam buckle.

There was no hesitation by Railblaza or cost to me even though I bought the Ctug trolley from BCF 18 months ago. To me this was very impressive after sales service.
Interestingly Railblaza apparently hasn't used the 'click' style of buckles for over 5 years and the owner was very puzzled about this other style of buckle being fitted to my Ctug trolley from new.

Whilst I appreciated the quick response and excellent support provided by Railblaza, unfortunately the replacement cam plastic buckle didn't securely lock on to the very thin CTug 38mm belt that came standard with the trolley.
It wouldn't hold it's position and the strap constantly slipped through the buckle once there was any pressure put on it.
As you can see by the pics below, I have even added some extra grip to the pad surfaces to help prevent slipping.

Because my 4.85 metre Kaskazi Dorado II ski has the trolley mounted close to the stern, the pressure to make the trolley slip and move off centre is fairly high and therefore requires a strong and easily adjustable strapping system.
Any further forward for the trolley location won't suit with my easy dismount and remount methods on my trailer (see older pic below).
Changing trolley positions each time is just too inconvenient and impractical as a solution.

Also there was no easy way to retention the belt tighter once the plastic cam buckle was locked on.

At least the older style of click buckle allowed me to adjust the tension once it the buckle was clicked together. However it wasn't tough enough to take the stress of re-tensioning.

So I went to Bunnings and bought a set of 2 x 2 Metre (much thicker) belts ($22) with adjustable alloy cam buckles.
I only needed the one belt an buckle. I cut the belt into two appropriate lengths (for each side) and used some cloth tape to secure the extra lengths on each side.

Now I can connect the straps via the buckle and then pull the strap and get quite a strong grip that was never possible with the unadjustable plastic cam buckle.
Problem solved.
Ctug 38mm Strap Mod.jpg
Ctug Alloy 40mm Cam Buckle.JPG
Trailer Dismount & Remount.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Cheers -- Paul
My first true love was the Sea. After threescore spins around the Sun...she's still there...as my mistress — Plakkyboat Image

StevenM
KFDU 1000 Club
Local Fishing Region: Anywhere there is water. Any fish in that pothole?

Re: Railblaza CTug Trolley Strap & Buckle Mod

#2 Post by StevenM » Tue Jan 12, 2016 4:44 pm

You send the other buckle back?

just wondering?

Marty75
KFDU 500 Club
Local Fishing Region: NSW Mid north coast
Kayaks: Stealth ProFisha 525, Tarpon 120, Hobie Quest 11

#3 Post by Marty75 » Tue Jan 12, 2016 5:48 pm

A cheap anti-slip mat in between the hull and strap also help to prevent sliding off the smooth glass.

Marty

Plakkyboat
KFDU 500 Club

#4 Post by Plakkyboat » Tue Jan 12, 2016 11:26 pm

StevenM wrote:You send the other buckle back?

just wondering?
Hi Steven,

No it's only worth $5 and the amount and quality of support the owner of Railblaza provided me for just this simple part (beyond the warranty period) was outstanding. The freight from NZ probably cost more than the buckle did.

He did his best but in the end after fitting it and testing the plastic buckle I decided that my chosen improvement was far more functional than the standard product generously supplied by him (Railblaza) at no cost with no hesitation to help.

I just wanted to put the mod up here for anyone else who may be experiencing similar issues with the strapping system and was looking for a practical, workable and economical solution.

Hope that answers your question adequately.
Cheers -- Paul
My first true love was the Sea. After threescore spins around the Sun...she's still there...as my mistress — Plakkyboat Image

Plakkyboat
KFDU 500 Club

#5 Post by Plakkyboat » Tue Jan 12, 2016 11:28 pm

Marty75 wrote:A cheap anti-slip mat in between the hull and strap also help to prevent sliding off the smooth glass.

Marty
You're right on the money there Marty. :wink:
However it still slips if the strap isn't tight enough.
Cheers -- Paul

shayneh2006
KFDU 500 Club
Local Fishing Region: Sydney Region, Sussex Inlet
Kayaks: OK Prowler Torque, OK Scrambler 11, OK Mysto

#6 Post by shayneh2006 » Mon May 23, 2016 8:23 pm

Yes, unfortunatly, the plastic clamp buckle on the C-tug is on the weak side, and tends to let go under load.

This is easy overcome by simply re-routing the loose tag end through the small gap between the main strap and where it connects to the plastic clamp buckle, then coming back on itself back through the buckle.

This reduces the dirrect load on the buckle by half, and have never seen it fail ever since i have been doing this. Works well even on my biggest kayak.

Shayne
Member of Southern Highlands Kayak Fisho's
Member of Bass Sydney

The feeling ya get from fishing oughta be the feeling ya get without fishing...........

arpie
2011 Saltwater Angler of the Year
Local Fishing Region: mid north coast
Kayaks: Hobie Sport, Perception Minnow

#7 Post by arpie » Mon May 23, 2016 9:00 pm

Railbaza CTug's after sales service is exemplary .... Even tho they are in NZ and we are over here!

The inner tube of mine busted within months and they sent 2 over as replacements ....

The leg lost it's 'stop ability' and just spun, so they sent the upgraded designed one over ....

With arthritis in my hands, I found it hard to do up and undo the cam lock strap buckle that came with it ..... So I swapped it for a 'click clack' one (literally a luggage strap that I cut in half .....) and it has worked perfectly ever since! :wink:
image.jpg
YAY for Railblaza!!!

Cheers. Roberta
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
(Mark's) Prostaff Member: Ten20 Rods

Adventure before Dementia

Perception Minnow - "Squidgies" Hobie Sport - "Fisharoo"

Plakkyboat
KFDU 500 Club

#8 Post by Plakkyboat » Sun Jun 12, 2016 11:38 pm

arpie wrote:Railbaza CTug's after sales service is exemplary .... Even tho they are in NZ and we are over here!

The inner tube of mine busted within months and they sent 2 over as replacements ....

The leg lost it's 'stop ability' and just spun, so they sent the upgraded designed one over ....

With arthritis in my hands, I found it hard to do up and undo the cam lock strap buckle that came with it ..... So I swapped it for a 'click clack' one (literally a luggage strap that I cut in half .....) and it has worked perfectly ever since! :wink:

YAY for Railblaza!!!

Cheers. Roberta
Glad to hear you sorted your buckle/clip situation Roberta. That arthritis can be a real bugger at times.

I can believe Railblaza replaced your trolley with a new one. They are excellent on support and service.
I managed to deal directly with the company's owner in NZ. Very polite and professional.

I found that releasing the strap was pretty easy with Railblaza's plastic cam lock buckle.
If you pull backwards towards the buckle via the excess strap it should have opened the buckle automatically. No need to get your fingers under the buckle flap.

In fact it was too easy to release and I was concerned that it may accidently realase under certain circumstances (e.g. when overturned in the water).
That would have been a real issue as I always carry my Ctug trolley on top of my ski (behind my seat) whilst on the water.

Railblaza replaced my original (broken) click-clack style buckle with their updated plastic cam lock buckle for free from NZ via the post.
Unfortunately their plastic cam buckle wouldn't grip strongly enough on Railblaza's standard thin strap and the trolly kept coming loose on the underside of my ski.
Also sufficiently tightening the strap with that plastic cam buckle was a hopeless task.

That's why I changed to the (Bunnings) thicker strap and corrosion free spring-loaded self-locking alloy buckle on my Ctug trolley.
To date I haven't regretted doing so. No more slipping trolley issues and the thicker straps are much easier to grip and pull tight.
To release the strap, I only need to press down on the spring loaded flap.

I use the same type of straps and buckles to hold my ski on my trailer racks. They are quick and easy to use and have never let me down.
Ctug new straps.JPG
Cheers -- Paul

arpie
2011 Saltwater Angler of the Year
Local Fishing Region: mid north coast
Kayaks: Hobie Sport, Perception Minnow

#9 Post by arpie » Mon Jun 13, 2016 1:31 pm

That strap setup should last you forever, Paul!! Tho I must admit, for travelling distances, I use the locking steel cable straps for security on our trailer.

My leg support started spinning again, so I just drilled a couple of holes & now have 4 Zip Tie cables going thru & holding it all in the right place. Happy enough with that, cos it was my fault (I forgot to pack the trolley onto the ute & backed over it & amazingly, only the leg support 'gave' by twisting - didn't even break!! :beye:

I've dealt directly with the NZ mob whenever I've had an issue & they've been amazing in bending over backward to 'right it'. Even sent me a video on how to fit the 'new leg' when it came over - as it was totally different from the original leg!

Top product - and with the wider sand wheels available now - probably the best trolley on the market, in my humble opinion. I have a set of the 'old' sand wheels & the pneumatic one (one on each of my 2 trolleys.) I think the sand bits can attach onto the old sand wheels ..... cos that is why I never launch from a beach .... I HATE PULLING THE YAK ACROSS THE SAND!! :blah:

cheers

RP
(Mark's) Prostaff Member: Ten20 Rods

Adventure before Dementia

Perception Minnow - "Squidgies" Hobie Sport - "Fisharoo"

nigel
KFDU 2000 Club
Local Fishing Region: sydney & surrounding areas
Kayaks: dag midway,DD3 max ski,stellar S18S ski ozflyte ski cheeps plastic

#10 Post by nigel » Wed Jun 15, 2016 4:35 pm

They have a new sand wheel now that works great I'll post a link when I get home

- https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php? ... 7038340787
ImageImage

Plakkyboat
KFDU 500 Club

#11 Post by Plakkyboat » Thu Jun 16, 2016 6:47 pm

arpie wrote:That strap setup should last you forever, Paul!! cheers RP
Hi Roberta,

Yes I am so confident of the strength and reliability of the new stronger straps and buckles that I mount the ski on the trailer and leave it there whilst travelling on the road.
It saves time on launching and remounting for the home trip.

I use another (same type) of strap to hold the Ctug on the back of my ski whilst on the water.
That's because I had to buy a twin pack of these straps at Bunnings and therefore the second strap is the one I use for that pupose.
Cheers -- Paul

Plakkyboat
KFDU 500 Club

#12 Post by Plakkyboat » Thu Jun 16, 2016 6:59 pm

nigel wrote:They have a new sand wheel now that works great I'll post a link when I get home

Thanks for the info and link Nigel. Not sure I can see much difference in the update design of the Ctug sand wheels that would make a pracitcal difference.
Have you had the opportunity to test the difference in designs and if so what do you think?

I find that my wheels only bog a bit whilst under water in the sand. Once mobile the older Ctug design has worked fine for me, so far.

A turn sideways witht the ski to release one wheel first does the trick to get going and let me get my beast out of the water and on to dryer or more supportive sand surfaces.

That's an old trick I learned with retrieving from the surf with my 15 foot tinnie using a rope to the trailer (without a 4WD) when I lived near Aldinga Beach S.A. back in the early 80's.
Cheers -- Paul

nigel
KFDU 2000 Club
Local Fishing Region: sydney & surrounding areas
Kayaks: dag midway,DD3 max ski,stellar S18S ski ozflyte ski cheeps plastic

#13 Post by nigel » Sat Jun 18, 2016 10:13 am

Plakkyboat wrote:
nigel wrote:They have a new sand wheel now that works great I'll post a link when I get home

Thanks for the info and link Nigel. Not sure I can see much difference in the update design of the Ctug sand wheels that would make a pracitcal difference.

well paul not too sure HOW they work different but they do somehow seem to roll over the sand instead of digging in/clogging up with only one good leg it makes a big difference for me carting the gear back up the beach

Nigel
ImageImage

squidslayer
KFDU Angler
Local Fishing Region: South Australia
Kayaks: Native Slayer Propel 13' Blue Lagoon

#14 Post by squidslayer » Mon Oct 10, 2016 1:21 pm

I purchased the C-tug with sand wheels the other day, I was in the yak shop and they had one on display with the sandtrakz wheels fitted which is how I wanted to purchase the unit, not with standard wheels and then buy the sandtrackz wheels extra. Much happiness and rejoicing...
I have a slayer 13' and i knew that the C-tug wouldn't fit without some basic mods.
I had a couple of odd lengths of 40mm PVC and couple of 50mm odd lengths. As it worked out the 50mm was the go and this now holds the trolley central against the keel. (more rejoicing...)
All I need to do now is fit two even lengths of PVC to neaten the job up.
It appears that Railbalza listen and have put a decent strap and clasp on the trolleys so it is working a treat.
DSCN2805.jpg
DSCN2800.jpg
DSCN2811.jpg
DSCN2806.jpg

Return to “Do It Yourself”