Another Anchor Trolley Question

Want to work on your kayak yourself? Need some help or have any advice to offer?
Mjaydee
KFDU Angler
Local Fishing Region: Gosford / Brisbane Water
Kayaks: Cobra Navigator, Q Kayaks Penguin

Another Anchor Trolley Question

#1 Post by Mjaydee » Mon May 22, 2017 8:05 pm

Hi there, I've just bought one of those ebay Anchor Trolley Kits & am ready to install, I was just wondering if it's necessary to secure the trolley rope to the cleat once the anchor is deployed? I've searched through the forum & have seen some use the cleats for the anchor only & some use for the trolley only (with the anchor connected straight to the trolley "O" ring) & some use a combination. Just trying to workout the best way to go.

I like the idea of having a quick release anchor incase of emergency (see attached pic) but thought it may involve a bit of a messy rope situation on deck as well as maybe being a little tricky to manage if both the anchor line & trolley rope are through the cleat.

Cheers guys, love the forum!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Kayak PB's - 40cm+ Flatty, 30cm Bream

Dodge
KFDU 2000 Club
Local Fishing Region: Gold Coast, Qld
Kayaks: Swing 400, and Pacer

Re: Another Anchor Trolley Question

#2 Post by Dodge » Mon May 22, 2017 9:41 pm

Mjaydee wrote:
I like the idea of having a quick release anchor incase of emergency (see attached pic) but thought it may involve a bit of a messy rope situation on deck as well as maybe being a little tricky to manage if both the anchor line & trolley rope are through the cleat.
When at anchor, use the same rig as your drawing, although my float is part of my rope spool and lays on board rather than floating.
Cheers RICHO [the older one]
Team Member of... Old Farts.... GREEN GINGER.... GC/NRKFC .... Usually monitor UHF29
Perception Swing 400, lime/yellow .... homemade timber Anon lures
Accept some days you're the pidgeon, and on other days you're the statue

laneends
KFDU 500 Club
Local Fishing Region: Victoria
Kayaks: Hobies Ivory Revo 16, Ivory quest 11, Red quest 13

#3 Post by laneends » Mon May 22, 2017 10:34 pm

In the arrangement you have the trolley and anchor ropes would have seperate cleats. To quick release you just uncleat the anchor rope and it will run out through ring. The only thing to be careful of is that nothing gets caught in the loop of anchor rope (eg leashes hanging down etc). Takes a bit of practice forming the loop and feeding through ring.

In my case the float is in the middle of my spool of rope(a standardard handline reel) which i keep behind seat then just toss into water if I want to jettison. Dont like reels and floats next to the yak as thy are a tangle obstacle when landing fish. In reality I rarely jettison.

Instead of ring and loop arrangement you can have a clip. You deploy anchor, clip trolley to rope, run to back and cleat anchor rope (no loop required). To quick release you have to pull the trolley within reach and unclip. This is easy as trolley is not taking pull of anchor as would be the case if you connected directly to trolley (not adviseable).

It is advisable to have some kind of inline cleat for trolley itself to stop it moving

Mjaydee
KFDU Angler

#4 Post by Mjaydee » Tue May 23, 2017 5:03 pm

Great, thanks for the ideas, I'm fitting the trolley tomorrow so I'll see how I go, I've seen people use the same cleat for the trolley & the anchor line, I guess it's a little bit of trial & error to see what suits my style & capability. As you've said, it's rare to have to jettison ur anchor line, but ya never know when you might have to go on a quick hat recovery mission lol

laneends
KFDU 500 Club

#5 Post by laneends » Tue May 23, 2017 5:29 pm

Something like this is handy for stopping trolley from moving, just install on outside edge of hull so its out of way
https://www.ronstan.com/marine/product. ... dNo=RF5105
Anchor cleat needs to be a bit more secure,zig zag, or cam cleats are often used

Mjaydee
KFDU Angler

#6 Post by Mjaydee » Tue May 23, 2017 8:07 pm

laneends wrote:Something like this is handy for stopping trolley from moving, just install on outside edge of hull so its out of way
https://www.ronstan.com/marine/product. ... dNo=RF5105
Anchor cleat needs to be a bit more secure,zig zag, or cam cleats are often used
That's a great idea, The trolley kit came with a zig zag cleat so I was gonna install that, but I may incorporate one of those into the system, looks simple & effective. thanks!

Dodge
KFDU 2000 Club
Local Fishing Region: Gold Coast, Qld
Kayaks: Swing 400, and Pacer

#7 Post by Dodge » Tue May 23, 2017 8:55 pm

Mjaydee wrote: I've seen people use the same cleat for the trolley & the anchor line,
Have never cleated the trolley line.

The majority of times the trolley line is pulled to bow or stern, and tension from the anchor line [or drogue] generally holds it in position.

Anchor line is always cleated.
Cheers RICHO [the older one]
Team Member of... Old Farts.... GREEN GINGER.... GC/NRKFC .... Usually monitor UHF29
Perception Swing 400, lime/yellow .... homemade timber Anon lures
Accept some days you're the pidgeon, and on other days you're the statue

laneends
KFDU 500 Club

#8 Post by laneends » Tue May 23, 2017 11:06 pm

When you want to haul the anchor up either from front or back, especially in tide flow or strong wind if the trolley is not cleated it doesn't stay put and you can get side on.

Theres many ways to skin a cat when it comes to anchoring. The important thing is to make sure you dont get side on in strong wind or tide, or it goes pair shaped very quickly.

Mjaydee
KFDU Angler

#9 Post by Mjaydee » Wed May 24, 2017 3:29 pm

image2.jpg
All done, ready to test out on the water. Overall it was a pretty straight forward install, however I had to file down some of the existing moulded decking runners cause they were damaged & would get in the way.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

laneends
KFDU 500 Club

#10 Post by laneends » Wed May 24, 2017 9:37 pm

Neat job.

Trolleys are also good for drift chutes and you can move it to alter the angle of kayak while drifting

Mjaydee
KFDU Angler

#11 Post by Mjaydee » Thu May 25, 2017 6:46 pm

laneends wrote:Neat job.

Trolleys are also good for drift chutes and you can move it to alter the angle of kayak while drifting
Thanks! I've never used a drift style anchor, I'm keen to give it a go now that i've got the trolley on. Cheers :grin:

Dreadfish
KFDU Angler
Local Fishing Region: wellington
Kayaks: Stealth EVO 495, OK Prowler Elite 4.5, OK Scupper Pro

#12 Post by Dreadfish » Thu Jun 01, 2017 8:19 am

just a thought

given the anchor trolley doesnt go all the way forward i would be a bit careful about using it to anchor forward in any sort of inclemant weather.
mind you i never anchor forward so i have made mine a half length trolley.

laneends
KFDU 500 Club

#13 Post by laneends » Thu Jun 01, 2017 12:24 pm

Dreadfish wrote:just a thought

given the anchor trolley doesnt go all the way forward i would be a bit careful about using it to anchor forward in any sort of inclemant weather.
Not advisable anyway as you will tangle your lines with anchor rope. Running to front is mainly for retreiving in a strong tide/wind. You can haul on the rope better facing into waves. Default is if a stuck anchor suddenly releases you fall into seat back rather than overboard..

Mjaydee
KFDU Angler

#14 Post by Mjaydee » Thu Jun 01, 2017 4:15 pm

Dreadfish wrote:just a thought

Thanks for the reply, I probably should have made it go all the way to the front, but that was an after thought sadly. I'm still yet to try it out & I'm aiming to avoid any inclement weather :grin:
I'll just see how it goes & what suits, like Laneends said, there's a good chance of getting caught up in the anchor line anyhow if its at the front.

Return to “Do It Yourself”