Brands of video cameras

nqkayaktours
KFDU 2000 Club
Local Fishing Region: Townsville area, Charters Towers, Greenvale, Great Barrier Reef.
Kayaks: 8 x RTM K-Largos, and 6 x Australis Lynxx

Brands of video cameras

#1 Post by nqkayaktours » Sat Mar 29, 2014 1:16 am

Just seeing who has what brand of camera for 1- head mount, and 2- yak mounted. I have just found out about the Garmin Virb elite. (I didnt know about them). Thanks to Swabio from a different thread altogether. It looks good for a yak mounted camera, but a bit big for a head mounted camera. And it is only rated at Water resistant: IPX7 (1 m/30 min). But you can get the 50mtr dive case for extra. And maybe the Sony Action Cam – HDR-AS100V as a head cam. )Although side mounted). There are many brands out there for different prices. And some have remote which is a pretty big factor for some people. An idea i also like. But if you could afford a good setup for both 1- yak and 2- head mount, what would they be? Or if you could buy just one for either yak or head mount, what would it be? Bearing in mind you would like to put it underwater to get fish shots etc. Just curious.

Cheers and tight lines,
Ian
Take your rubbish out full, bring it back empty.

Barra 85c.m, Black Brim 43, Talapia 36, Jungle perch 24, Fresh water catfish 55, sleepy cod 49, Doggie mack 58, fingermark 46, blue nose salmon 44.

http://www.nqkayaktours.com.au
Follow us on Facebook. http://www.facebook.com/nqkayaktours

tonystott
KFDU 1000 Club
Local Fishing Region: Forster, nsw
Kayaks: 2012 Hobie Tandem Island "SIC EM"

Re: Brands of video cameras

#2 Post by tonystott » Sat Mar 29, 2014 2:45 am

I have a Drift 720HD on a Railblaza 600 boom located on one aka of my TI, plus a Kmart Audiosonic $50 730P little camera, and both wear dive cases. The latter lives in my PFD pocket, or on a bracket on one of the aka braces.
The top pic is a frame from video...
Last edited by tonystott on Sat Mar 29, 2014 10:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Tony Stott
2012 Hobie Tandem Island "SIC EM" with Hobie spinnaker

bingunna
KFDU Angler
Local Fishing Region: Fraser Coast QLD
Kayaks: Hobie Outfitter

#3 Post by bingunna » Sat Mar 29, 2014 10:20 am

The best Head mount by far with exceptional video and Audio quality and very inexpensive is the Mobius Actioncam.
Weighing only 40g this little camera punches well above its weight although not waterproof velcroed beneath the cap brim keeps it out of the weather.
It has a run time of around 80 min or you can swap out the battery (minor technical experience required) from the original 550mah to a 1000mah battery of the same dimensions or do what I do and carry an external battery pack in my pocket with usb lead runs the camera until memory card fills up.
This camera shoots equivalent video to the GoPro Hero 2 but only costs $80.

http://www.kfdu.com.au/forum/viewtopic.php?f=82&t=33289

Another option is the Pivot Head Hd sunglasses they are awesome but expensive and only have built in memory.

http://hdvideocamerasunglasses.com.au/p ... rple-haze/

mcnphoto
KFDU 1000 Club
Local Fishing Region: Mid North Coast (Old Bar)
Kayaks: Viking Tempo

#4 Post by mcnphoto » Sat Mar 29, 2014 1:52 pm

Yet to find sunglass type of cameras that hold a candle to any action cam. I run drifts but there are so many these days its crazy, drift, contour, sony, jvc and gopro are all good poseidon are a decent lower line probably in line with the garmin. We certainly have some wide and varied options now it was only a few short years ago that gopro had the market by the nuts with contour , sil graph and drifts being the only alternatives. Amazing advancements in this segment.
Cheers
Mark

http://www.markscustomfishing.com
Old Bar NSW

bingunna
KFDU Angler

#5 Post by bingunna » Sat Mar 29, 2014 2:02 pm

G'day mark, have you seen the video quality of the pivot head sunglasses?
Waaaaay better than the original sheleft 720P sunnies.

swabio
KFDU Angler
Local Fishing Region: Canberra / NSW South Coast.....and the local lakes!
Kayaks: Hobie Pro Angler old school PA14

#6 Post by swabio » Sat Mar 29, 2014 8:22 pm

nqkayaktours wrote:Just seeing who has what brand of camera for 1- head mount, and 2- yak mounted. I have just found out about the Garmin Virb elite. (I didnt know about them). Thanks to Swabio from a different thread altogether. It looks good for a yak mounted camera, but a bit big for a head mounted camera. And it is only rated at Water resistant: IPX7 (1 m/30 min). But you can get the 50mtr dive case for extra. And maybe the Sony Action Cam – HDR-AS100V as a head cam. )Although side mounted). There are many brands out there for different prices. And some have remote which is a pretty big factor for some people. An idea i also like. But if you could afford a good setup for both 1- yak and 2- head mount, what would they be? Or if you could buy just one for either yak or head mount, what would it be? Bearing in mind you would like to put it underwater to get fish shots etc. Just curious.

Cheers and tight lines,
Ian
Hey Ian, the sony with no case is splashproof, but it comes in the box with the SPK-AS2 which is waterproof to 5m.... then there are the other two optional cases the dive case (MPK-AS3) and the other waterproof case (SPK-AS1) both of which are rated to 60m..... but the dive one has the flat lens for better underwater performance. Honestly I reckon I'd go the sony with the AS1 for bot head and yak mounted.... and get one of them as the VR pack with the remote..... Sony always do well with battery life, which is another of my gripes with the GoPro.....
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Serenity!

Gareth6210
KFDU Angler
Local Fishing Region: SE Queensland
Kayaks: Scorpio Terrapin XL

#7 Post by Gareth6210 » Sat Mar 29, 2014 8:48 pm

I use a gopro hero 2 for yak mount(zip tied to old rod base at the front), and hero 3 black for the headmount. To me its perfect, for others it isnt. Bit pricey, but to me nothing else compares to them. My dad uses the Sony action cam, and with it having to be mounted on the side of the head it becomes troublesome getting the best position, but im sure it will be fine yak mounted, decent little cam.
Tight lines,
Gareth.
https://www.facebook.com/GarethEadiePhotography?ref=hl
Ytube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyy9mI ... VCDhcUkPYA
Instagram: gareth6210

PB's!!
Bass:45cm (wild) Bull Shark:1.34m Whiting:36cm
Bream:36cm Mangrove Jack:60cm Murray Cod:52cm
Flathead:67cm Snapper:73cm Mulloway:60cm
Est Cod:58cm Mullet:65cm
Tilapia:40cm Grunter:68cm

swabio
KFDU Angler

#8 Post by swabio » Sun Mar 30, 2014 6:11 pm

Gareth6210 wrote:I use a gopro hero 2 for yak mount(zip tied to old rod base at the front), and hero 3 black for the headmount. To me its perfect, for others it isnt. Bit pricey, but to me nothing else compares to them. My dad uses the Sony action cam, and with it having to be mounted on the side of the head it becomes troublesome getting the best position, but im sure it will be fine yak mounted, decent little cam.
I have the same cams as you, I am a bit dissapointed with the 3 Black, although the 3+ looks to have a bit of a better resolution....checking out some of the comparisons between the GP and the other relative newcomers to the Action cam scene.... I wish the Sony and garmin was on offer when I bought the GPs..... I personally think GoPro are a decent product but the alternatives are certainly as good!
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Serenity!

tommo1
KFDU 1000 Club
Local Fishing Region: Coffs harbour

#9 Post by tommo1 » Sun Mar 30, 2014 10:11 pm

I use GoPro and the only problem I ever had was the GP 3 black. Once I exchanged it for the GP silver no more problems

Once I've committed to GP no point in changing. A lot one can do with the GP
Time lapse etc.

Also the mounting system for the GP is good.

The new GP3+ is really good

I know they are pricy but the video quality is great

Cheers

bingunna
KFDU Angler

#10 Post by bingunna » Sun Mar 30, 2014 11:04 pm

tommo1 wrote:

Cheers
Why didn't they just put a 1/4 inch thread in them then any tripod mounting system would work?
GoPro is good quality but way over priced.

Would love to be able to check this out

http://www.chinavasion.com/china/wholes ... 5_Degrees/

Troopy67
2013 Freshwater Angler of the Year
Local Fishing Region: NSW
Kayaks: Hobie PA12, WS Aspire 100

#11 Post by Troopy67 » Sun Mar 30, 2014 11:23 pm

[/quote]

Why didn't they just put a 1/4 inch thread in them then any tripod mounting system would work?
GoPro is good quality but way over priced. [/quote]

Simple. It makes people buy Gopro accessories. This can be easily overcome with the purchase of a small adapter. I bought one for mine and it is great as it allows you to fit it to most options you can with just about any other cam. Camzilla sells them.

Agree with your second comment. Also rubbish customer service if you happen to get a lemon and it's just out of warranty. They don't have a repair facility or anywhere else you can send it for service so if it stuffs up once the warranty has passed, the best they will do is offer you a 20% discount on buying a new one. Hi5

swabio
KFDU Angler

#12 Post by swabio » Mon Mar 31, 2014 4:11 pm

tommo1 wrote:I use GoPro and the only problem I ever had was the GP 3 black. Once I exchanged it for the GP silver no more problems

Once I've committed to GP no point in changing. A lot one can do with the GP
Time lapse etc.

The new GP3+ is really good

I know they are pricy but the video quality is great

Cheers
I am not a fan of the mount..... two smooth surfaces relying in brute force to stop it moving..... I also find that there is a little too much flex in the mounts on my MTB... so am probably going to get a K-Edge mount for the bike... I think the mounts would be better with a non smote surface on each of the mating surfaces to 'grip' it a bit better....

I do think they are a decent set up...... but am by no means buying into the marketing that they are the greatest thing since sliced bread.... i own two....but will prob look to upgrade to something new in the next 6 months or so.... although I will prob wait until the GP4 is released.... and compare it with what is on offer at the time......

Serenity!

Occy
KFDU 1000 Club
Local Fishing Region: Sydney harbour and offshore, various inland waterways
Kayaks: Skimmer 128, Calypso

#13 Post by Occy » Mon Mar 31, 2014 9:29 pm

Just got the latest Big W catalogue which lists their own brand 3SIXt FHD action camera with 1080P@30fps, Wi-Fi, remote, 50 metre housing (surely that can't be right) and two mounts, all for a lousy $98.

With so many cutting edge features in a sub $100 action camera if Go Pro aren't nervous they should be.
Last edited by Occy on Mon Mar 31, 2014 10:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cheers Paul
Kayak fishing isn't a sport. It's much more serious than that.

RUG
KFDU 2000 Club
Local Fishing Region: NSW-Illawarra/South Coast
Kayaks: Hobie Outback, Wilderness Aspire 105

#14 Post by RUG » Mon Mar 31, 2014 9:55 pm

Saw that one to Occy. Wonder how it'll hold up after a few saltwater trips though?
Yak PBs: Bass(Wild)44cm F/L, Bream 37cm F/L, Flathead 78cm, Snapper 50cm, Yellowbelly 54cm
"The best fisherman in the world is the one having the most fun."

Occy
KFDU 1000 Club
Local Fishing Region: Sydney harbour and offshore, various inland waterways
Kayaks: Skimmer 128, Calypso

#15 Post by Occy » Mon Mar 31, 2014 10:29 pm

I should say up front that I have absolutely no idea how good this unit is, but if it's anywhere near as good as my recent Audiosonic $59 FHD cheapy it has to be the bargain of the decade. I note Jaycar are selling one which looks very similar (except it doesn't have the remote and it's only rated to 30M) for double the price http://www.jaycar.com.au/productView.asp?ID=QC8021

I thought I had a great deal but if I had waited a couple of weeks I could have added Wi-Fi, remote, and an extra 40 metres of waterproof rating for a lousy $39 extra. If this thing is as good as it looks on paper (and that 50 metre rating is correct) it should shit all over the rest of the competition.

Interestingly I note it's not yet in their on line catalogue for some strange reason. Now for a rant if you will indulge me for a moment. How hopeless are these big retailers? The internet and e-Commerce has been around for a while now, so get your bloody act together will you Big W. :oops:
Cheers Paul
Kayak fishing isn't a sport. It's much more serious than that.

Return to “Cameras & Mobile Phones on the Yak”