Just to prove someone is still fishing the north:

https://www.kfdu.com.au/forum/viewtopic ... 71&t=51878

caustic
KFDU Angler
Local Fishing Region: Townsville
Kayaks: RTM K Largo

Re: 2018

#2 Post by caustic » Sun Dec 30, 2018 5:25 pm

I get out when I can. Usually manage a few trevally at least :grin: you can keep the Sharks.

NorthSIKer
KFDU 1000 Club
Local Fishing Region: North Queensland
Kayaks: Mirage 582, Kaskazi Skua

#3 Post by NorthSIKer » Tue Jan 01, 2019 7:58 pm

Glad others are still getting out.

I'll happily trade you my sharks for your trevally :grin:

Whisky
KFDU Angler
Kayaks: Dorado II, RTM Disco, Hobie Maui

#4 Post by Whisky » Fri Jan 18, 2019 9:01 pm

I really enjoy watching it. Well done
It provides incentive to fix the rudder of my Dorado which was broken couple of months ago.

Also, what made you switch to a Greenland pole?

NorthSIKer
KFDU 1000 Club

#5 Post by NorthSIKer » Sat Jan 19, 2019 2:29 pm

Thanks Whisky,

Yeah, you definitely need to get the rudder fixed on the Dorado. Prime paddling season is not far away. Have you still got the double you use to go out with your son in?

With the Greenland Paddle (GP) i had been toying with getting one for a few years now - as a spare paddle. GPs are so good in really bad conditions on the water - the wind doesn't effect them much, they are very predictable to brace with any which way, they are easiest to roll with as you always know which way the paddle is oriented. I never considered one for a main paddle due to the lack of power (didn't want to be slow on my long trips - well didn't want a slow paddle anyway :lol: ).

A had a play with a wooden GP at rolling practice and borrowed it for a paddle to the island and back. Whilst the paddle felt pretty weird for the entire paddle (in the end it took me multiple trips to re-wire my brain to paddle with a GP over the Euro) I was surprised that my times were as good as with my Euro.

So I ordered the long-planned spare paddle from Gearlab and used it a few times to get the hang of it. Still found my times were as good or better than with the Euro plus I was enjoying the feel of the paddling experience more - it is to me more engaging or like I said in the video, more connected to the water. I worked hard from the onset on getting the canted paddling technique installed into my head and when you get that the grip (and power) of the little GP is much more than you would expect. After a few more months of paddling with no apparent disadvantages to the GP over the Euro and all the advantages I sold my Euro. Now my Euro was a carbon Werner Cyprus - top of the line paddle (you would do well to get one into Australia for much less than $1,000) that is lovely to use but I didn't see any use for it going forward.

Don't get me wrong, I am not religious to any particular style of paddle (good paddlers can make anything work) but for me at this stage I can't see any reason to use anything else but the GP.

Whisky
KFDU Angler
Kayaks: Dorado II, RTM Disco, Hobie Maui

#6 Post by Whisky » Sat Jan 19, 2019 11:16 pm

Yep, still got the Duo but son is too busy at the moment.

Thank you for very helpful info about GP. I am seriously considering one for my wife because she does not need to unlearn Euro paddling. It serves well as a spare paddle because it should be easily fitted inside the hatch if it can come in as a 2 piece one.

NorthSIKer
KFDU 1000 Club

#7 Post by NorthSIKer » Sun Jan 20, 2019 12:58 pm

Whisky wrote:
Sat Jan 19, 2019 11:16 pm
I am seriously considering one for my wife because she does not need to unlearn Euro paddling.
Cool, I have a spare so let me know if you want to borrow the GP to try out. All mine are two pieces.

Return to “Townsville Kayak Fishing CLub”