Crocs are cruisin'?

For Information on how to join please contact member Spanky via PM
nobillie
KFDU Angler
Local Fishing Region: ex-South Coast NSW but Townsville region now
Kayaks: Hobie 13 Revo OK 4.5 Prowler Elite Malibu Stealth(past) OK 4.1 Trident

Crocs are cruisin'?

#1 Post by nobillie » Wed Nov 15, 2017 6:52 am

Oh terrific...just about to take delivery of my new kayak, and 'Wally', whatever his name is decides to come out for an extended swim. :?:

Whisky
KFDU Angler
Local Fishing Region: Townsville
Kayaks: Stealth Duo, Dorado II, RTM Disco, Hobie Maui

Re: Crocs are cruisin'?

#2 Post by Whisky » Wed Nov 15, 2017 10:41 pm

He was in a can-be-seen mode so not the most dangerous unless you bump right up to him. what model are you getting?

LODO
KFDU 500 Club
Kayaks: Hobie Tandem Island beefcake.

#3 Post by LODO » Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:37 am

Crocs are always about, and as long as you're not dragging a chicken carcass behind your yak when you're anchored up ... generally speaking ... you're good.

JUST STAY OUT OF THE RIVERS.

I've been on the water for 8 years, and seen one croc, quite a few sharks, and stingers. As long as you're sensible, cover up from sun and stinger damage ... paddle with a buddy where possible and you're good to go.

A fair while ago, I used to frequent Ross River and Ross Creek without hesitation. Then, one day I was fishing from the river bank, and went to go and get some bait with the cast net. Walking along the mangrove, I came across a massive croc slide where one paw was one and a half hand widths wide, and I have large hands.

The next day, I advertised and sold my river kayak ... and decided it was out in the bay for me.

So, cover up. Stinger season is here, and even if it's overcast ... cover up ... it's not unheard of to bring a tentacle up on a paddle ... I haven't done it, but I have heard of plenty of people who have.

Greatest risk on the water is sun and dehydration :) and then not having enough fun!

nobillie
KFDU Angler

#4 Post by nobillie » Sat Nov 18, 2017 10:32 am

Whisky wrote:He was in a can-be-seen mode so not the most dangerous unless you bump right up to him. what model are you getting?
Ocean Kayak 4.1 Trident... I have owned a 4.5 Prowler, great kayak. And well-priced at Freddy's.

nobillie
KFDU Angler

#5 Post by nobillie » Sat Nov 18, 2017 10:39 am

LODO wrote:Crocs are always about, and as long as you're not dragging a chicken carcass behind your yak when you're anchored up ... generally speaking ... you're good.

JUST STAY OUT OF THE RIVERS.

I've been on the water for 8 years, and seen one croc, quite a few sharks, and stingers. As long as you're sensible, cover up from sun and stinger damage ... paddle with a buddy where possible and you're good to go.

A fair while ago, I used to frequent Ross River and Ross Creek without hesitation. Then, one day I was fishing from the river bank, and went to go and get some bait with the cast net. Walking along the mangrove, I came across a massive croc slide where one paw was one and a half hand widths wide, and I have large hands.

The next day, I advertised and sold my river kayak ... and decided it was out in the bay for me.

So, cover up. Stinger season is here, and even if it's overcast ... cover up ... it's not unheard of to bring a tentacle up on a paddle ... I haven't done it, but I have heard of plenty of people who have.

Greatest risk on the water is sun and dehydration :) and then not having enough fun!
...always been a proponent of buddy-kayak fishing, whenever off-shore or in risky areas...

Having lived in TSV, and Maggie ( a year or so ) I've learnt a lot about local hazards, ie. crocs, tigers, and stingers. Have heard a few near-contact stories with crocs in the creeks...you won't see me in any creeks with a kayak :lol:

fishing addict
KFDU Angler
Local Fishing Region: Dohles Rocks
Kayaks: 2.8m dragon kayak now replaced with a viking reload

#6 Post by fishing addict » Sat Nov 18, 2017 1:58 pm

Im spending a week at the Blue House on the inside of Maggie just after New years (Im actually gonna be in Townsville from 14th DEC) for the holidays and I'm bringing my viking profish reload. Anyone herd of crocs along the mangroves on the inland side of Maggie? I know they can get there but has anyone actually seen one? Also any Ideas on what to chase while I am there. I have the live bait pod and im loaded for lures but with Barra out of season, most Mackerel south for the summer what will people be chasing?

Cheers,
To see the difference between having input and being committed look no further than bacon and eggs. The chook has input but the pig is committed.

PB Bass 51cm, Taylor 53cm, bream 51cm, Jewfish 83cm, Flathead 72cm

NorthSIKer
KFDU 1000 Club
Local Fishing Region: North Queensland
Kayaks: Mirage 582, Kaskazi Skua

#7 Post by NorthSIKer » Sat Nov 18, 2017 8:09 pm

Nice spot you have picked.

The fly fisherman love that spot as the flats are right in front of the house and it is protected from the winds in most conditions. Walk out on the low tide and fish the first of the run in with lots of trevally (goldens, tealeaf and small GT) but also permit on the first run in.

Crocs are occasionally seen at various parts around Maggie but are not resident. I fish the inside of the island quite regularly and feel safe there. Plenty of other kayaks do to. It is North Queensland, they could be there but I have never heard anything to suggest that is a territory for them.

For what to chase some ideas:
- Low tide and first half of incoming troll around the contour where the deep water starts inside the island. Lots of Trevally will be moving up into the flats on the first of the run in. Also, trolling unweighted plastics, flys (white is go to) or very shallow running hardbodies in the shallows in the inside of the island as the tide starts to come in. By shallows I mean down to 50cm of water - there will still be trevally to 2-3kg no problem in that shallow. Lots of weed and rock so anything that touches bottom is liable to snag. On the map below I like to troll the contour from a bit past the pipes back up to about Cockle Bay. Will also be some good gold spot cod caught the same way and very occasionally a trout. On the top of the tide these fish are quite spread out and hard to find, on the run-out to bottom they often shut down (though sometimes the trevally chase the bait coming out the drains).
- Grunter are a likely option, especially on bait but they also take soft plastics (and love gulps). Like a bigger tide and more towards the top but when they are there they are there regardless of conditions or tide. A bit deeper water (at least 2-3m) but I have caught them right up against the mangroves inside the island on a high tide. Spots would be Middle Reef (the pylon north west of where i have marked 'trout' on the map), and the pipes (has been a good spot for me).
- Cockle Bay Inlet on the map back down to the other inlet towards the pipes has lots of little bommies and weed. Lots of mainly smaller stuff hide in amongst the structure - trout, spanglies, various cod, tuskies - but some good fish in there as well. Weedless plastics into the weed would be perfect.
- Out the front of Picnic Bay Jetty there are shoals that can be productive for mixed reef stuff at times - I think it is best for first few hours after sunrise and last before sunset so I don't fish it much.
- If you can get down to West Point it can be good for grunter just off the beach. When the tide is running in or out I find Queenfish right about the corner on the troll sometimes. Sometimes there are small tuna out not too wide of the point, towards bay rock or out further past where I have marked 'rubble 1, rubble 2' on the map.
- Grey mackerel may still be about but more around the points on the sides of the island than out the back where you will be. I have also seen a good school in close in Horseshoe Bay if you get to there. Otherwise if you are keen and it is calm paddle around from West Point to Five Beaches bay (Check the local maps) and the last kilometre or two before the green zone starts is good. Also queenfish and trout there - all fairly close to the rocks. You are right that other mackerel are likely gone south or offshore though the odd spaniard is caught inshore until the wet season starts.
- Fingermark are a possibility at all the grunter spots - i have no skill in targeting them but they are the premium inshore fish of summer for fighting ability, chewability and also requiring some skill to target especially in the day.
Maggie.JPG
Also, be sure to cover up for stingers (and sun).
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

fishing addict
KFDU Angler
Local Fishing Region: Dohles Rocks
Kayaks: 2.8m dragon kayak now replaced with a viking reload

#8 Post by fishing addict » Sat Nov 18, 2017 9:03 pm

Thanks for the great reply. Will also have a car on the island so I was thinking about launching at alma bay and trying the shipping channel, how strong is the current there? I have no dramas with a 20km paddle and the old man is taking a boat out if I have too much drama but if it is a lot of work just to stay near the markers I may reconsider
To see the difference between having input and being committed look no further than bacon and eggs. The chook has input but the pig is committed.

PB Bass 51cm, Taylor 53cm, bream 51cm, Jewfish 83cm, Flathead 72cm

NorthSIKer
KFDU 1000 Club

#9 Post by NorthSIKer » Sun Nov 19, 2017 2:16 pm

Current isn't much an issue paddling wise, but it certainly will be strong enough to keep you drifting past the pylon. You'll just need to paddle up, fish, drift and paddle back again if that is your plan.

The pylons can fish great and would be a great spot for a chance of grey macks that time of year. But they can be hit and miss (like a lot of NQ fishing). The stinkboaters quickly run from one to another checking for bait on the sounder, if none, they move to the next one. If they find no pylons with bait they will often move to another spot altogether. That would be a long day in the kayak. If the old man is out in the boat he might be able to sound up the pylons first and let you know if they are worth paddling to.

Seeing you have a car, you will also be able to access the more northern and eastern parts of the island if not too rough. The various points and headlands may hold good fish, maybe grey macks too, but like the pylons can be hit and miss as to if they are there. Horseshoe Bay is usually the most protected bay on the island and can have good fish in various parts (they move about). You may get some north-easterlies with the wet season flow starting so Horseshoe is not as good then, though the eastern part of the Bay will almost always still be fairly protected. The usual trade winds are south-easterly.

Sometimes there are good pelagics around Nelly Bay too. I have been just to the north of the Nelly Bay harbour and having my lure snipped off on every drop. However I don't fish these parts of the island much as if I am there I am generally on a circumnavigation from the mainland so keep moving (though often troll).

If you have a car with a bit of clearance you can also take the very potholled road into Radical Bay. The rocks out to the north east of there have good ledges and deep water that are said to fish well at times. Again, I very rarely fish there. It is the most exposed part of the island so only go there if you have a calm day.

Hopefully the weather and fish play ball for your trip. You certainly have a lot better access by kayak to good fishing spots from Magnetic Island then from the mainland. And seeing you have a car, you will always be able to find a corner of the island that is fairly protected from the wind and swell.

nqkayaktours
KFDU 2000 Club
Local Fishing Region: Townsville area, Charters Towers, Greenvale, Great Barrier Reef.
Kayaks: 8 x RTM K-Largos, and 6 x Australis Lynxx

#10 Post by nqkayaktours » Tue Nov 21, 2017 11:15 pm

fishing addict wrote:Anyone herd of crocs along the mangroves on the inland side of Maggie? I know they can get there but has anyone actually seen one?
Yes they caught "Charlie" a 3.75mtr croc in the creek there. It died a week later from eating a plastic shopping bag. You are in croc country, be croc wise. Simple.
Whisky wrote:e was in a can-be-seen mode so not the most dangerous unless you bump right up to him.
Sorry old mate, thats a load of shit your telling people. Straight up. Dont know where you get that bullsxxt information from, but that is very pizz poor information about crocs to pass on. :grr: :grr:

Northsiker has given you some very good information here. And good grunter can be caught just off West Point in the gutters. And behind west point coral trout, fingermark, nannigy, etc. Just off the rock faces. From 5-15mtrs out. Can be finnicky but. Heaps on the sounder but not keen to bite. Enjoy your stay.

Cheers and tight lines
Ian.

Oh yeah - if you like oysters, take a screw driver and hit the Picnic Bay jetty up on low tide. :grin:
Take your rubbish out full, bring it back empty.

Barra 85c.m, Black Brim 43, Talapia 36, Jungle perch 24, Fresh water catfish 55, sleepy cod 49, Doggie mack 58, fingermark 46, blue nose salmon 44.

http://www.nqkayaktours.com.au
Follow us on Facebook. http://www.facebook.com/nqkayaktours

NorthSIKer
KFDU 1000 Club

#11 Post by NorthSIKer » Thu Nov 23, 2017 7:08 pm

nqkayaktours wrote:Sorry old mate, thats a load of shit your telling people. Straight up. Dont know where you get that bullsxxt information from, but that is very pizz poor information about crocs to pass on. :grr: :grr:
Actually, with all due respect, my understanding is that Whisky probably knows more about crocodile behaviour than you and I combined.

I suspect what Whisky is getting at (correct me if wrong) was:
1. That croc is not in an area where it will establish a territory. It appears most attacks on kayaks by crocs are territorial (why you definitely do not want to be in their rivers).
2. It was swimming around having a look. Crocs are very careful hunters - careful not to expand unnecessary energy and careful not to be at risk of getting hurt. Hence they tend to be very stealthy and sit and wait to strike. So by its behaviour it was not looking for a feed either.

Of course you would be nuts to jump in with the croc or paddle up to it even with the above (as Whisky points out) as you would possibly make yourself too good of an opportunity for the croc to pass up.

But your advice that you are in croc country, be croc wise is fair. Can't totally avoid the risk full stop. But the risks reduce significantly outside of the rivers and estuaries and reduce further still one you get offshore a bit.

LODO
KFDU 500 Club
Kayaks: Hobie Tandem Island beefcake.

#12 Post by LODO » Fri Nov 24, 2017 8:37 am

I second that NorthSiker :)

Whisky is very knowledgeable in this area.

Anyone for a paddle up the Bohle I hear the Jacks are great up there :egrin: :egrin:

Whisky
KFDU Angler
Kayaks: Stealth Duo, Dorado II, RTM Disco, Hobie Maui

#13 Post by Whisky » Fri Nov 24, 2017 10:52 am

Not that knowledgeable actually. Just like to push the limit to fish more.
When dealing with croc, it is always better to err on the safe side but life is too short for giving up kayak fishing up here.
A floating croc is not the most dangerous but still dangerous. My point is by no means it is safe when you see one, say, within 200m. But at least you have a chance to react.

I have been thinking about the jacks in the Bohle. I have a Roscoe sitting in the shed. This is the last time I took it out (Shelly Beach).
WP_20141122_07_03_35_Pro.jpg
The next project will be fitting an outrigger (inspired by Dave) and a new deep cycle battery or perhaps a small solar panel canopy. Up the Bohle? Well, maybe in one of the below 8 degree early mornings in the middle of Winter.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

nobillie
KFDU Angler

#14 Post by nobillie » Sat Nov 25, 2017 8:43 pm

nqkayaktours wrote:
fishing addict wrote:Anyone herd of crocs along the mangroves on the inland side of Maggie? I know they can get there but has anyone actually seen one?
Yes they caught "Charlie" a 3.75mtr croc in the creek there. It died a week later from eating a plastic shopping bag. You are in croc country, be croc wise. Simple.
Whisky wrote:e was in a can-be-seen mode so not the most dangerous unless you bump right up to him.
Sorry old mate, thats a load of shit your telling people. Straight up. Dont know where you get that bullsxxt information from, but that is very pizz poor information about crocs to pass on. :grr: :grr:

Northsiker has given you some very good information here. And good grunter can be caught just off West Point in the gutters. And behind west point coral trout, fingermark, nannigy, etc. Just off the rock faces. From 5-15mtrs out. Can be finnicky but. Heaps on the sounder but not keen to bite. Enjoy your stay.

Cheers and tight lines
Ian.

Oh yeah - if you like oysters, take a screw driver and hit the Picnic Bay jetty up on low tide. :grin:
Bloody plastic bags...I think it's a bloody disgrace, even for a croc, to be suffocated by plastic. :?: Yep. Plastic bags...time for them to go.

nqkayaktours
KFDU 2000 Club
Local Fishing Region: Townsville area, Charters Towers, Greenvale, Great Barrier Reef.
Kayaks: 8 x RTM K-Largos, and 6 x Australis Lynxx

#15 Post by nqkayaktours » Sun Nov 26, 2017 12:01 pm

NorthSIKer wrote:nqkayaktours wrote:
Sorry old mate, thats a load of shit your telling people. Straight up. Dont know where you get that bullsxxt information from, but that is very pizz poor information about crocs to pass on.

Actually, with all due respect, my understanding is that Whisky probably knows more about crocodile behaviour than you and I combined.

I suspect what Whisky is getting at (correct me if wrong) was:
1. That croc is not in an area where it will establish a territory. It appears most attacks on kayaks by crocs are territorial (why you definitely do not want to be in their rivers).
2. It was swimming around having a look. Crocs are very careful hunters - careful not to expand unnecessary energy and careful not to be at risk of getting hurt. Hence they tend to be very stealthy and sit and wait to strike. So by its behaviour it was not looking for a feed either.
Just speak for yourself. I do know a bit about crocs and behaviour. Probably best you get to know them a lot more than you do. All you have written above is wrong. Apart from going into the rivers and creeks. Good call. And yes crocs are careful hunters, but also opportunistic.
LODO wrote:I second that NorthSiker :)
:roll: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Whisky wrote:Not that knowledgeable actually.
:?: :cool:

For a bit of info for you. One of your crocs "just passing through" at Pallarenda.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GEcpNLLAJ9g

And another
http://www.townsvillebulletin.com.au/ne ... b2e8ec5170

Another where croc attacks kayak.
http://www.themorningbulletin.com.au/ne ... c/3073426/

And even an attack by croc on a reef.
http://www.sunshinecoastdaily.com.au/ne ... e/2864503/

A kayaker was followed all the way back to the beach at Pallarenda not long back by a croc. He was alerted to it by people yelling from the beach to him. It actually changed its direction and headed straight for him. (I think it could have even been Micky T on his 525. If so, he could confirm more on this).

The last kayaker (so to speak) taken was from out of the back of a canoe on the Herbert River about 5yrs ago. He was in his 60's and his wife was in the front of the canoe. Cant find anything atm, but will look further.

Cheers and tight lines,
Ian
Take your rubbish out full, bring it back empty.

Barra 85c.m, Black Brim 43, Talapia 36, Jungle perch 24, Fresh water catfish 55, sleepy cod 49, Doggie mack 58, fingermark 46, blue nose salmon 44.

http://www.nqkayaktours.com.au
Follow us on Facebook. http://www.facebook.com/nqkayaktours

Return to “Townsville Kayak Fishing CLub”