Team Yak Fisher - Cod Classic Dec 2013

An annual event showcasing the mighty Murray Cod
Fletch
KFDU 500 Club
Local Fishing Region: Illawarra
Kayaks: Hobie Revo and Viking Nemo

Re: Team Yak Fisher - Cod Classic Dec 2013

#121 Post by Fletch » Mon Nov 25, 2013 6:55 pm

yak-gear wrote:Just over a week to go you all must be itching to get on the lake and chase cod and yellas...
Huge thanks to Pete who has gone well out of his way to make this as comfortable and enjoyable experience for you all..

Big thanks also to Pat who has helped co ordinate the shirts and litle bits and pieces with organisers and sponsors..

I have nominated Pete to be team captain and accept team prizes if we are lucky enough to get any this year..

Have a great time and stay safe on the water, keep an eye out for your mates and help out if needed..

Look forward to all the reports and pictures. .
An up front big thankyou to you Andrew for kicking this off in the first place, Shame you can't be there. Pete and Pat are also doing a great job sorting all the other stuff that goes on behind the scenes to help make these sort of events so memorable. Thankyou guys.
All I am dreaming about at the moments is greenfish and a lake that has more timber than I have seen before. I can not wait to get down there again. My plan is to arrive around midday Thursday. If there is anything needed to brimg along please let me know.
Fletch
Yak PB's, Dusky Flathead 95cm, Sand Flathead 51cm, Snapper 57cm, Yellowbelly 59cm, Murray Cod 75cm,Whiting 37cm, Australian Salmon 58.5cm, Redfin 41.2cm, Bonito 58cm, Tailor 38cm, Bass 30cm and one monster squid 107.5cm overall..... Watch ths space.

Member of the South Coast Kayak Fisho's and Wollongong Sportfishing Club.

BigPete68
KFDU Angler
Local Fishing Region: NE Vic / Southern NSW
Kayaks: Hobie Outback. "Down n Dirty"

#122 Post by BigPete68 » Wed Nov 27, 2013 5:44 pm

Hi guys,
In case anyone hasn't got the entry form for the Kayak section of the comp, we can enter this upon arrival at Mulwala. Tony from the event tells me the yak entry forms went out with the general entry forms but I for one never got one. Think maybe some others haven't got one either.
It's important that we enter the yak section and that we also enter per the team section under TEAM YAK FISHER.

Not long now guys :grin: . I am setting up the camper down at the park on Sunday morning but due to family commitments (I forgot it's my youngest daughters 13th birthday party :oops: ) will be heading home Sunday arvo and returning to camp Monday morning.

Just yell if anyone needs a hand with anything.
Cheers, Pete.
Yak Fishin Tragic and tortured father of teenage girls.
Member of -
Far South NSW Coast Kayak Fishing Club.
NSW Southern Highlands Kayak Fishos.

pat_o
KFDU Angler
Local Fishing Region: Canberra, all things native and snowy mountains trout
Kayaks: NWC Ultimate 12 / NWC Slayer 13 / Malibu X-13

#123 Post by pat_o » Wed Nov 27, 2013 10:53 pm

Hi Team,

Tony has sent me a a copy of the form, I have attached to make easy.

Looking forward to seeing you all there. :grin:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Pat 0402 167 265
p.oneill@aerocare.com.au
http://www.facebook.com/heroesonthewateraustralia
"Healing is a matter of time, but it is sometimes also a matter of opportunity."

Artie01
KFDU 500 Club
Local Fishing Region: Malua Bay, the Bidgee and the Lachlan when I can......
Kayaks: 2010 Revo 13 2105 Revo 13 Quest 11 and a couple of racing ski's.....

#124 Post by Artie01 » Fri Nov 29, 2013 9:36 am

Hi Team!

Just confirmation, Gretl and I will be arriving on Wednesday arfternoon, dropping off the camper trailer and the yaks and then heading on to Melbourne for work :cry: We cant get back til around 9 or 10am on Saturday morning so we will drop in and register before we hit camp.

Sadly we will miss those all important few hours but it cant be helped...

Hoping you all can keep an eye on the gear while we are away, the yaks will be tethered with a stainless steel cable and padlocks but I know that will only stop the honest thief :lol:

Ill talk to you before then Pete but can you bring my saddle bags along? If not Ill just HAVE to come to Albury and get them....with the revo.... its been a while since I chased trout... :cool:

Looking forward to catching up with some old mates and meeting some new ones, last year was a blast!!
....><))))*>....<*((((><....><))))*>....<*((((><....><))))*>....<*((((><.....
PB 75 cm Salmon, 76 cm Flathead, 55cm Yella, 80cm Cod, 42cm Whiting, 41cm Bream, 70cm Snap, 2m Mako..... yeah!

Member of -

BigPete68
KFDU Angler

#125 Post by BigPete68 » Fri Nov 29, 2013 10:36 am

Artie01 wrote:Hi Team!

Just confirmation, Gretl and I will be arriving on Wednesday arfternoon, dropping off the camper trailer and the yaks and then heading on to Melbourne for work :cry: We cant get back til around 9 or 10am on Saturday morning so we will drop in and register before we hit camp.

Sadly we will miss those all important few hours but it cant be helped...

Hoping you all can keep an eye on the gear while we are away, the yaks will be tethered with a stainless steel cable and padlocks but I know that will only stop the honest thief :lol:

Ill talk to you before then Pete but can you bring my saddle bags along? If not Ill just HAVE to come to Albury and get them....with the revo.... its been a while since I chased trout... :cool:

Looking forward to catching up with some old mates and meeting some new ones, last year was a blast!!
Mate,
I will be on-site with camper trailer. Heaps of room. I will watch over your gear. As for Yaks, leave them next to my trailer and we will lock them to my trailer. Oh and the bags.... my missus has grown very attached to them and only just last night reminded me to not forget them :blah:
As for trout.... 75cm Brown caught this week as well as a 1m or so Cod. Both in Lake Hume. Pics are circulating. The Cod was caught by Russ Mason who own the Complete Angler here in town. :grin: so it must be true as tackle shop owners never lie :roll:
Cheers, Pete.
Member of -

Chevvy
KFDU Angler
Local Fishing Region: Westernport bay

#126 Post by Chevvy » Sat Nov 30, 2013 3:50 pm

Didn't even know there was a yak section, I have already sent all my paperwork through to enter the comp so I will fill out the yak form an bring it up with me. I can't get there until Friday lunchtime though

BigPete68
KFDU Angler

#127 Post by BigPete68 » Sat Nov 30, 2013 4:17 pm

That will work. I am doing all mine Friday as well.
Cheers, Pete.
Member of -

Damo_Mc
KFDU Angler
Local Fishing Region: Canberra, Upper Murrumbidgee, Snowy Mountains
Kayaks: Hobie Oasis

#128 Post by Damo_Mc » Sat Nov 30, 2013 4:39 pm

Take care on the roads guys - I got back from Deni last night (the Edward-Wakool system is awesome) and there are lots of grain trucks (semi's) on the regional roads due to the harvest being in full swing.

Cheers, Damo

woodsy
KFDU 1000 Club
Local Fishing Region: illawarra/south coast
Kayaks: PRO ANGLER 12

#129 Post by woodsy » Sat Nov 30, 2013 5:43 pm

Thanks damo for the heads up
Cheers Bill

12 PA12
Kayak PBs
Bream 36.5cm,Black Bream 43cm,Bass 43cm,Bass 34cm (fly ) Cod 60cm Flathead 73cm,Whiting 37cm,Tailor 62cm,EP 35cm,Travelly 51cm,Jew 55cm,Snapper 46.5cm,Blackfish 36cm
New PB's Murry Cod 60cm
Member of nsw south coast kayak fisho's
Member of Southern Highlands Kayak Fisho's

BigPete68
KFDU Angler

#130 Post by BigPete68 » Sat Nov 30, 2013 8:29 pm

Ripper wrote:Take care on the roads guys - I got back from Deni last night (the Edward-Wakool system is awesome) and there are lots of grain trucks (semi's) on the regional roads due to the harvest being in full swing.

Cheers, Damo
Well talk a out those creeks over the weekend :wink:
Cheers, Pete.
Member of -

Fletch
KFDU 500 Club
Kayaks: Hobie Revo and Viking Nemo

#131 Post by Fletch » Mon Dec 02, 2013 7:52 am

Do I have enough? :wink: I can't wait to get down there.
Fletch
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Yak PB's, Dusky Flathead 95cm, Sand Flathead 51cm, Snapper 57cm, Yellowbelly 59cm, Murray Cod 75cm,Whiting 37cm, Australian Salmon 58.5cm, Redfin 41.2cm, Bonito 58cm, Tailor 38cm, Bass 30cm and one monster squid 107.5cm overall..... Watch ths space.

Member of the South Coast Kayak Fisho's and Wollongong Sportfishing Club.

BigPete68
KFDU Angler

#132 Post by BigPete68 » Mon Dec 02, 2013 8:01 am

Always opertunity for improvement :lol:
Cheers, Pete.
Member of -

BigPete68
KFDU Angler

#133 Post by BigPete68 » Mon Dec 02, 2013 5:11 pm

Stole this of Artie (Rob). Posted on last years forum post. Still very good advice. :wink:

Morning all we cant leave until Friday afternoon so we should arrive before dark on Friday night and looking forward to putting faces to the names.

Tips from my backyard coming up, sorry its long winded, but I really want our team to be successful. Ive lived in this area my entire life, fished Mulwala countless times and all the rivers around the area...

Dont forget that this comp is also aimed at yella's, so dont exclude them. Ill have a rig for each on the yak at all times... rods will be fairly heavy, lightest will be a 4kg stick and heaviest will be an 8kg.

10kg main line (braid) in all cases and then on the cod rig 10kg flouro and 5kg for yella. Drags will be TIGHT, dont give these guys and inch, they are expert at wrapping you up in timber! Yes this means you may have a pulled hook at times but it also means you dont get bricked, catch 22, I know which way I go...

For those who havent caught a Cod yet, they are STRONG, very strong, but short winded. This means expect short brutal runs mainly headed towards cover, if you can keep them out of the sticks they will quickly tire and give up and then its like lifting a (moving) log up to the surface.... but they arent done yet...... when they see the hull they will start all over again. Dont try and net them too early, make sure they are done otherwise it can end in tears. BUT, do please get em in as quickly and as stressless as possible, many Cod die after release and light-line sport fishing isnt good for them, go heavy and fast.

If you are lucky enough to bring in the big mother, please dont lift it up by the mouth, larger fish are easy to damage in the gill and throat region by their own weight, a hand under the belly, or better still, leave them in the net and get to a weigh station supported by the water.

Cod are an ambush predator. This means they hide in the sticks and wait for food to traipse by (think flathead). They dart out, open their huge mouths and suck in 17.4 gallons of water (with dinner).... therefore I come back to the sticks, they wont be far away, so beware....

A Cod bite isnt subtle, it hits and then heads back home, expect a sudden hit and then a steady pull.... before it realises its all not well and panics... then just hang on for the ride (literally). With bait, a Cod may inhale your offering without you being aware, and then when you go to check it, all hell can break loose.

Yellas are much more subtle (at times) and will suck or hit but then have a characteristic fast 'shake' or 'pull pull pull', even their take can be 'hit hit hit'..... these guys punch above their weight, that 'huge' fish you are playing may well be only 200mm long, they can go harder than you would expect.

This isnt a fish per minute style of fishing, its a time and patience game. You will need to spend long hours on the water, we'll be wearing long sleeves and light trousers as sun block just wont be up to it. Hopping into the water every 30 mins or so (beware of sticks) to cool off (and practise re-entry), or take a bucket and swill water over yourself.

The bigger Cod lures (Stumpjumpers in large size etc) can be cast, but are really designed to be trolled and thats not always easy in a yak for hour after hour. So maybe have a selection of easily cast lures. Ill mainly be jigging vertically with SP's and spinnerbaits etc around the base of timber or structure as per the sounder as well as sudden edges or drop offs.

As I have said Cod like to hide, and usually in fallen timber on the bottom, so you need your lure to occasionally touch bottom to be in the strike zone, Cod dont like to move far (normally), so if you get a tentative hit, turn around and go back over and over, often they need to be annoyed into striking. You will need your tackleback, often, and thats a pain, but the price you pay.

Yella's are bottom to topwater feeders and also like cover, so think trees again, but not always on the bottom. Yellas tend to school and if you catch one, you may ctach many.

Finally, early morning, late evening Cod WILL wander about away from cover and even take surface lures, so open country in the morning can be productive and late in the day away from timber and in the shallows. Our camp spot is known for this activity. Ill fish close to camp in the morning and move into the timber during the day....

You cant teach Cod fishing by text, only experience, and when you feel that terrifyingly brutal first take on a lure by a big Cod, you will be incurably hooked yourself (and seriously rattled).... its a terminal disease which will see you suffer every time Cod season closes, but strangely excited when opening approaches... (like now).

All I can say is 'tight lines', the very best of luck and I look forward to meeting you all at Mulwala, and hear your stories at the camp that night, particularly the first timers..
Rob

-2m Mako-75 cm Salmon-70cm Snapper-63 cm Flathead-42cm Whiting-29cm Bream-
Cheers, Pete.
Member of -

justmagic
KFDU Angler
Kayaks: Hobie Outback, Mirage 580, Perception Arcadia, Stealth Evo

#134 Post by justmagic » Fri Dec 06, 2013 9:59 pm

Hey bigpete, nice advice. What's the biggest cod you've pulled out of the lake? I noticed you don't have it listed at the bottom of your posts...

BigPete68
KFDU Angler

#135 Post by BigPete68 » Sat Dec 07, 2013 12:58 pm

I haven't pulled a legal cod out of Mulwala lake. Closest to legal about 45cm.
But I have pulled a lot of nice fish out of the Ovens and Murray Rivers just above the lake. Best from Yak about 85cm or so.
Cheers, Pete.
Member of -

Return to “Annual Cod Classic - Lake Mulwala”