Team Yak Fisher 2014.

An annual event showcasing the mighty Murray Cod
BigPete68
KFDU Angler
Local Fishing Region: NE Vic / Southern NSW
Kayaks: Hobie Outback. "Down n Dirty"

Re: Team Yak Fisher 2014.

#31 Post by BigPete68 » Sun Nov 16, 2014 9:06 pm

yakafat wrote:that all sounds good ,i will be camping not sure where ,either the park or reserve thanks Bazza
Welcome to the team. If you have any questions just yell.
Cheers, Pete.
Yak Fishin Tragic and tortured father of teenage girls.
Member of -
Far South NSW Coast Kayak Fishing Club.
NSW Southern Highlands Kayak Fishos.

BigPete68
KFDU Angler
Local Fishing Region: NE Vic / Southern NSW
Kayaks: Hobie Outback. "Down n Dirty"

#32 Post by BigPete68 » Mon Nov 17, 2014 7:38 am

yakafat wrote:that all sounds good ,i will be camping not sure where ,either the park or reserve thanks Bazza
On your entry form make sure you fill out the team name box TEAM YAK FISHER :wink:
Cheers, Pete.
Yak Fishin Tragic and tortured father of teenage girls.
Member of -
Far South NSW Coast Kayak Fishing Club.
NSW Southern Highlands Kayak Fishos.

yakafat
KFDU Angler
Local Fishing Region: Nth east victoria
Kayaks: Jackson cuda 12

#33 Post by yakafat » Thu Nov 20, 2014 1:09 pm

Registered and all paid up now the big part is to get organised with the yak ,I have discovered that its not easy fishing in such a confined space :?: so much can turn to crap in a short amount of time as you all would be aware of,big learning curb for us green sticks but hopefully I will have it all sorted for the comp ,what is the go ,lures or bait, i will bring both but prefer lures and will try and get to the Murry for a weekend before the comp to get a bit more experience in the yak with all my other utensils ,see you all soon Bazza

Fletch
KFDU 500 Club
Local Fishing Region: Illawarra
Kayaks: Hobie Revo and Viking Nemo

#34 Post by Fletch » Thu Nov 20, 2014 1:25 pm

yakafat wrote:Registered and all paid up now the big part is to get organised with the yak ,I have discovered that its not easy fishing in such a confined space :?: so much can turn to crap in a short amount of time as you all would be aware of,big learning curb for us green sticks but hopefully I will have it all sorted for the comp ,what is the go ,lures or bait, i will bring both but prefer lures and will try and get to the Murry for a weekend before the comp to get a bit more experience in the yak with all my other utensils ,see you all soon Bazza
I have only fished lures and the kayak section on the Sat is lure only. I will let others talk about Bait.
First trip, I got mine on lures with a yellow base. smaller oar gee plows and swagman kept the rod bent.
Last trip 4 fish on 2 lures. 2 on a green (Codger I think) and the other 2 including or a AC invader 120 in purple. I fished bigger lures on this trip and it seemed to work. Most of the lake is shallow about 2.5m deep with the deeper river bed (up to about 7m deep) Spent a bit of time casting larger spinnerbaits but have yet to catch on them. Others have.

Hope this helps a little.

At the classic venue there will be plenty of opportunity to buy lures with plenty of hardbody's and spinnerbaits available the past 2 years.

Fletch
Yak PB's, Dusky Flathead 95cm, Sand Flathead 51cm, Snapper 57cm, Yellowbelly 59cm, Murray Cod 75cm,Whiting 37cm, Australian Salmon 58.5cm, Redfin 41.2cm, Bonito 58cm, Tailor 38cm, Bass 30cm and one monster squid 107.5cm overall..... Watch ths space.

Member of the South Coast Kayak Fisho's and Wollongong Sportfishing Club.

yak-gear
HOTW Australia
Local Fishing Region: ppb - Williamstown, vic
Kayaks: wavedance kingfisher, aquayak snapper

#35 Post by yak-gear » Fri Nov 21, 2014 7:35 pm

Bait is not allowed to be used in the comps from Kayaks i don't think, check the registration paperwork..

The Prize for Team Yak Fisher best Fish is worth well over $250 and kindly donated by landbasedfishing.com.au who has been a great supporter from our inception 3 years ago ..

Here are the links to the prize..

https://landbasedfishing.com.au/compone ... 6?Itemid=0

https://landbasedfishing.com.au/compone ... 0?Itemid=0

https://landbasedfishing.com.au/compone ... 7?Itemid=0

Good luck everyone and hopefully we take out the top prizes like last year..

good Luck

Andrew

yakafat
KFDU Angler

#36 Post by yakafat » Fri Nov 21, 2014 8:30 pm

Thanks for that advice Fletch,you must have a good collection in that tackle box,mines a bit light on at the moment , Yak gear im glad I asked about bait,that could have been a bit embarrassing also i don't have to worry about chasing it up all good thanks guys cheers Bazza

Fletch
KFDU 500 Club

#37 Post by Fletch » Tue Nov 25, 2014 9:07 am

Here is a little peek at what lies under the surface. :lek: From Google earth.
Fletch
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Yak PB's, Dusky Flathead 95cm, Sand Flathead 51cm, Snapper 57cm, Yellowbelly 59cm, Murray Cod 75cm,Whiting 37cm, Australian Salmon 58.5cm, Redfin 41.2cm, Bonito 58cm, Tailor 38cm, Bass 30cm and one monster squid 107.5cm overall..... Watch ths space.

yakafat
KFDU Angler

#38 Post by yakafat » Wed Nov 26, 2014 5:57 pm

Great maps Fletch,I will over lay them on google earth and mark all the channels and holes and put them on my GPS ,that will save me /us time looking for the deeper water, :roll: works for me when prospecting for gold so might work to put a fish on the lure, cheers Bazza

Fletch
KFDU 500 Club

#39 Post by Fletch » Wed Nov 26, 2014 9:19 pm

yakafat wrote:Great maps Fletch,I will over lay them on google earth and mark all the channels and holes and put them on my GPS ,that will save me /us time looking for the deeper water, :roll: works for me when prospecting for gold so might work to put a fish on the lure, cheers Bazza
How close does the GPS get from google earth? Always ondered...
Fletch

yakafat
KFDU Angler

#40 Post by yakafat » Fri Nov 28, 2014 8:36 pm

Hi Fletch the best way to learn how to do it is go to u tube and look for gps custom maps,depending on which gps you have and that google earth reconize it you should be good to go,i have a garmin hand held and it loads with out a hitch,with these maps of the lake will be a bit harder to overlay because there is only land marks on one side of the map to line up but it will be pretty close I have highlited the holes so it shows up better on the small screen due to glare being out in the open,this is done in paint and you could name points .also you can track yourself which is great to see when you download it back on google ,hope this helps Bazza
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Fletch
KFDU 500 Club

#41 Post by Fletch » Sun Nov 30, 2014 4:02 pm

Just about packed. New leaders tied. A few more restless nights sleep before we get there.
Fletch

Damo_Mc
KFDU Angler
Local Fishing Region: Canberra, Upper Murrumbidgee, Snowy Mountains
Kayaks: Hobie Oasis

#42 Post by Damo_Mc » Mon Dec 01, 2014 7:49 pm

Happy cod opening everyone - hope you have a brilliant year chasing greenfish.

We'll be pulling into accom around mid arvo on Friday all going. See you soon. Pete - will PM my mobile number to you in case you need to give us a call

Cheers, Damo & Josh

Damo_Mc
KFDU Angler
Local Fishing Region: Canberra, Upper Murrumbidgee, Snowy Mountains
Kayaks: Hobie Oasis

#43 Post by Damo_Mc » Tue Dec 02, 2014 10:21 pm

Don't forget to pack a camera and get a NSW fisheries ruler on your paddle. Just in case you are required to photograph & catch&release any cod over 75cm on the spot. We'll need to check if the 75cm & over fish do or do not get taken to marshalls.

Fletch
KFDU 500 Club

#44 Post by Fletch » Wed Dec 03, 2014 8:09 am

The NSW fisheries sticker may not be long enough!!! I think they are only 1 metre. LOL :lol: :lol:
Fletch

yakafat
KFDU Angler

#45 Post by yakafat » Wed Dec 03, 2014 7:49 pm

ARE we there YET ,hope to be there tomorrow arvo ,where do we all catch up for plan of attack and pre fish drinks :lek: weather is looking a bit suss just hope the wind keeps down ,safe travels to the team yak fishers see you there Bazza

Return to “Annual Cod Classic - Lake Mulwala”