An annual event showcasing the mighty Murray Cod
BigPete68
KFDU Angler
Local Fishing Region: NE Vic / Southern NSW
Kayaks: Hobie Outback. "Down n Dirty"

Re: Team Yak Fisher 2014.

#46 Post by BigPete68 » Thu Dec 04, 2014 7:14 pm

image.jpg
Game on. The first guys are already here enjoying the new digs.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Cheers, Pete.
Yak Fishin Tragic and tortured father of teenage girls.
Member of -
Far South NSW Coast Kayak Fishing Club.
NSW Southern Highlands Kayak Fishos.

Damo_Mc
KFDU Angler
Local Fishing Region: Canberra, Upper Murrumbidgee, Snowy Mountains
Kayaks: Hobie Oasis

#47 Post by Damo_Mc » Thu Dec 04, 2014 9:03 pm

Pete, Josh & I will have a latter eta than advised - expect us to pull in about 4 ish. We have a school assembly to attend in the morning as someone's sister is getting an award for being extra awesome ☺

BigPete68
KFDU Angler
Local Fishing Region: NE Vic / Southern NSW
Kayaks: Hobie Outback. "Down n Dirty"

#48 Post by BigPete68 » Thu Dec 04, 2014 9:36 pm

Damo_Mc wrote:Pete, Josh & I will have a latter eta than advised - expect us to pull in about 4 ish. We have a school assembly to attend in the morning as someone's sister is getting an award for being extra awesome ☺
No problem mate. We will be waiting. Cabin is awesome.
Cheers, Pete.
Yak Fishin Tragic and tortured father of teenage girls.
Member of -
Far South NSW Coast Kayak Fishing Club.
NSW Southern Highlands Kayak Fishos.

arpie
2011 Saltwater Angler of the Year
Local Fishing Region: mid north coast
Kayaks: Hobie Sport, Perception Minnow

#49 Post by arpie » Thu Dec 04, 2014 10:33 pm

Have a great weekend, guys ...... I hope you can get into some BIG COD ...... I noticed the last time I was there for the comp, that 'people in the know' were keeping close to shore, peppering the big fallen trees that line the shallows along the shore front - with quite LARGE diving lures! :wink: WE were out in the middle targetting the standing trees! Whilst not catching mega cod, I was pleased to at least catch some almost respectable ones tho, so I didn't 'donut' :gu:

Hopefully Next year, I'll be back to join you!!

cheerio

Roberta
(Mark's) Prostaff Member: Ten20 Rods

Adventure before Dementia

Perception Minnow - "Squidgies" Hobie Sport - "Fisharoo"

Gazzaguru
KFDU 3000 Club
Local Fishing Region: Illawarra NSW
Kayaks: Hobie Sport, Hobie Pro-Angler, Old Town Vapour

#50 Post by Gazzaguru » Fri Dec 05, 2014 7:44 pm

Good luck to everybody competing down there. Like arpie, I hope to be back next year. :wink: Just give Blackant a wide berth if he brings out the Wild Turkey American Honey LOL :egrin: Wish I was there. Have a great time. Gaz
PB,S from the yak - Amberjack 38cm, Bass 40cm, Bream 35cm, Bonito 36cm, Catfish 29cm, flathead 73cm, Redfin 35cm, EP 34cm, golden perch 55cm, murray cod 73cm, salmon 45cm silver trevally 43cm, tailor 39cm, whiting 40cm.
member of NSW South Coast Kayak Fishos.

Whoever invented these on call rosters for work needs a rocket fair up their clacka.

yak-gear
HOTW Australia
Local Fishing Region: ppb - Williamstown, vic
Kayaks: wavedance kingfisher, aquayak snapper

#51 Post by yak-gear » Mon Dec 08, 2014 11:53 am

A little update I received is Fletch placed 3rd in the national kayak cod championships, well done mate.

Team Yak Fisher placed 3rd in Best Represented Team.

Well done all, look forward to pics and stories..

Fletch
KFDU 500 Club
Local Fishing Region: Illawarra
Kayaks: Hobie Revo and Viking Nemo

#52 Post by Fletch » Tue Dec 09, 2014 6:38 pm

Almost six hours behind the wheel a fishing buddy (Jobbo) and I pulled into the Morris Winery to sample some of the fine fortified’s that the Rutherglen region is world renound for. We had a few bottles each bottles rattling in the back after visiting a couple of other cellar doors on our way through to the much anticipated Mulwala Cod Classic. Since Andrew (Yakgear) assembled the first “Team Yak fisher” in 2012 I have had this event on my must do calendar each year. Jobbo who is also a well-rounded fisher that has mastered just about every species that swims, has been hearing of this comp and had to see it for himself…. I just need to get him converted to yak fishing… When we arrived at the caravan park and shown or home for the next few days we were blown away by the location which was right at the boat ramp and some 50m from the water’s edge. Catching up with Michael, Pat and Graham and then Pete, Terry and Greg as they arrived. Looking at the water Jobbo and myself were off to have a look and see if we could find a cod. The cod didn’t respond to our spinnerbaits or the surface lures that we were casting around but we did manage to find quite a few submerged logs on the electric. Back at the cabin it was time for a sherbet or 2 and then a few ports before we hit the sack. A fairly leisurely start to Friday morning we hit the water around 8.30am after bacon and egg rolls on the water’s edge, tough life. Jobbo connected to a couple of 56cm Cod on the spinnerbaits and I had 1 around the same size swipe at the Spinnerbait boatside but that was it for the morning.
Later that afternoon Damian, Josh and Ray joined the rest of us and it was off to the presentation area to have a look at all the stalls and register. The briefing and the talk by Rod Mackenzie is always worth a listen because you can get a few clues in what is said. The forecast was for 40mm rain on Saturday but everyone’s spirits were high for the first day of the comp.
Saturday morning the Yaks hit the water and scattered in all directions and I made my way to an area that had produced for me last year and lost sight of the fleet. After a few hours the first Cod smacked a 70mm Oargee and I was on the board with a 60cm fish. An hour or so later on the same lure a nice little Yellowbelly that punched well above his size tried to stitch me up but was out muscled and netted. Hooks removed I put him on my lip grips and hung him over the side to clear the deck and ready the measure when I touched the handle of the net with the lip grips and he was gone. I think everyone on the lake heard some choice words about then…. you shouldn’t lose a fish that way.... Inexcusable. About this time everything went still, storm clouds were building and lightening started flashing in the distance. I made my way over to a nice looking lay down snag that I could see a hundred or so metres away. Before I could reach the snag I boated 2 more cod a smaller 53cm fish that was quickly on his way back to a snag and then a 55.5cm cod that was measured and photographed and also on his way. 2 fish within 8 minutes and I was thinking this is getting good. That is when the wind hit and it was time to high tail it back to camp. The trip through 3km of a million snags that cannot be seen in the dark and windy conditions made a nervous trip back. About 150m from camp and the yak came to a sudden stop and the mirage drive was out of service and it was paddle time.
The rain came and as I was getting out Pat and Pete were launching and I was thinking “really”…..
Sunday morning we were on the water again by 6.30am and by 10.30am (end of fishing) I had not added anything to my tally and the fishing was over for me for the weekend. For the largest Cod caught by team yak fisher I was awarded a great rod and reel that was donated by land based fishing. com.
At the presentation my Cod was enough to put me into third place with second being a 67cm Cod and Allan Parish won the Canoe and Kayak section with a 73.5cm cod. A very nice fish and well done.
The weekend was spent with many great fishers and the company was fantastic. Thank you all. For anyone looking for a great comp I recommend to travel to Mulwala and fish the Cod Classic.
FYI, the largest overall Cod was a 104.5cm beast and the largest Golden Perch was 57cm.
I will let others tell their tales and enjoy the pictures. See you all there next year
Fletch
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Yak PB's, Dusky Flathead 95cm, Sand Flathead 51cm, Snapper 57cm, Yellowbelly 59cm, Murray Cod 75cm,Whiting 37cm, Australian Salmon 58.5cm, Redfin 41.2cm, Bonito 58cm, Tailor 38cm, Bass 30cm and one monster squid 107.5cm overall..... Watch ths space.

Member of the South Coast Kayak Fisho's and Wollongong Sportfishing Club.

yak-gear
HOTW Australia
Local Fishing Region: ppb - Williamstown, vic
Kayaks: wavedance kingfisher, aquayak snapper

#53 Post by yak-gear » Tue Dec 09, 2014 6:51 pm

Well done mate.

arpie
2011 Saltwater Angler of the Year
Local Fishing Region: mid north coast
Kayaks: Hobie Sport, Perception Minnow

#54 Post by arpie » Wed Dec 10, 2014 9:31 pm

Great report, Fletch - shame about the loss near the yak! :cry: Always hurts! :?: Always a challenging arena to fish, eh?

Well done & congrats on your 3rd placing!
Roberta
(Mark's) Prostaff Member: Ten20 Rods

Adventure before Dementia

Perception Minnow - "Squidgies" Hobie Sport - "Fisharoo"

cammo
KFDU Angler
Local Fishing Region: Albury and surrounds
Kayaks: Hobie Quest

#55 Post by cammo » Wed Dec 10, 2014 10:20 pm

That 60 is a healthy looking cod Fletch, nice work. Congrats also on the placing.

Return to “Annual Cod Classic - Lake Mulwala”