BLF SBS RD1 St Georges Basin - 08-09 Feb 2014

Basin Lure and Fly Anglers are holding the Southern Bream Series again in 2015
Yaktricity
2014 Saltwater Angler of the Year
Local Fishing Region: Shoalhaven
Kayaks: Hobie PA12, Quest 11 and Australis Bass

BLF SBS RD1 St Georges Basin - 08-09 Feb 2014

#1 Post by Yaktricity » Mon Feb 10, 2014 4:48 pm

Just a quick report from my perspective of my first Bream competition.

Arrived at Palm Beach about 0530 Saturday morning to a hive of activity, with quite a few yak fisho's already there and the boaties starting to arrive as well.

Said hello in the dark to a couple of other KFDU yakkers (Dek and Woodsy) quietly going about their business setting up their gear and started on getting my yak to the water.

Briefing was at 0640 and comp started at 0700, boaters going first, then the yakkers. All up there was 55 boats and 24 kayaks, so a good turnout for a 2 day competition.
Day 1 SBS.JPG
Conditions looked great at Palm Beach, but with predicted strong E to NE'ers this was not to last, and consistent strong winds were to be the theme of the weekend.

My tactic for day one was to head around to the areas that I usually fish, about a 3km pedal from the starting area. Once I arrived the wind was already making a nuisance of itself and I spent the morning flicking surface lures over and parallel to the weed banks along the drop offs fringing the flats, I also gave my trusty SP's a go on the 2lb FC setup, it was pretty slow going with lots of undersized bream and one 40CM Reddie (was hopeful for a large bream at first) but I managed 2 legal fish (both around the 28cm mark) in the live well, one on a surface lure (Bassday Sugapen 70mm - M816 and one on a Gulp 3" minnow grub - Pumpkin Seed) before I headed back to the start area.
1st comp bream.JPG
Sorry for the poor quality of this shot, I was rushing things :lol:

It was a slog on the way back as I was pedaling into at least a 20kph headwind. I had an hour to kill when I arrived before the days fishing was over so worked the shallows off Palm Beach with a Atomic Hardz Crank 38 Mid Diver - Ghost Green Shad when I picked up another 28cm Bream, so I was happy to have my 3 legals.
Weighed in at 1.010Kg, which put me in 11th place overall, not a huge bag, but a bag none-the-less :grin:

Didn't take that many pics on day 1, as I was a little too distracted by the whole comp thing and was more concerned with having a lure in the water than recording the action, something I wanted to change on day 2 and also to try and slow things down a little :?:
Headed for home checked and re-rigged lines where necessary and loaded the ute up again in preparation for another early start.

Back at Palm Beach around 0530 on Sunday, same routine in setting up the yak and was looking forward to another days fishing :grin:
It was another beautiful morning, but with even stronger winds predicted than yesterday that was not to last long...

First off again were the boaters;
Boaters.JPG
Then the yakkers;
Yakkers.JPG
Today I decided to fish much closer to the start area, the pedal back yesterday into the wind after 6 hours of fishing was not something I wanted to repeat, especially as 1 of my 3 fish had been taken no more than 200M from the start line :?:

The wind was up real early today, and as soon as you were out past the shelter of the small point at the eastern end of Palm Beach I found it necessary to throw out the drogue.
Started the day losing my Atomic Crank to a long tom on the very first cast :grr:
Winds Up Early.JPG
With the wind blowing 20kph by 0830 and predicted to be 30 by mid-morning I settled on a tactic of bombing SP's and blades out on a drift parallel to the shore line in water ranging from 5-7M.

Soon enough I was onto a decent bream, very happy with that as my first fish of the day :grin:
37cm Bream.JPG
I was getting harassed by tailor who were often nipping of the tails of the SP's before I could even hit bottom, but there were Bream about (and quite a few flatties) when you could get your lure to the bottom.
A lot of the bream were "tailing" the SP's, you think you have them hooked, and they will often hold on for a fair while before letting go, really do have to look into fitting stingers to my SP presentations, but over the morning I managed 5-6 more bream, no more in the mid to high 30's but managed to upgrade my other 2 keepers to a couple of 33's.
All of these fish fell to a 3" minnow grub, pumpkinseed and watermelon being the colours of choice. Due to the wind I was fishing a 1/12 jighead on the 2lb FC straight thru rig.
3 Keepers.JPG
By now the wind was definitely up , must have been a steady 30kmh out of the NE...
Windy.JPG
Headed in and was very happy with a bag of 2.085kg for the day, with the 37cm going for 0.940kg's :grin:

Took a while for the results to be tallied up but there was a fair crowd on hand for the presentations and there was generous applause given to all of the winners across boats and kayaks.

Special congratulations goes to the winners of Kayak section, not sure if they are members here but I am sure some of you guys and girls will know them.

Name Day 1 Day 2 Total
1 Carl Dubois 3 1.190 3 2.820 6 4.010
2 Andrew Death 3 1.020 3 2.540 6 3.560
3 Simon Morley 2 1.805 3 1.730 5 3.535

I was very happy with my efforts and although they had me 4th on the list on the website I know that another yak fisher by the name of Brian Hunt should have been 4th as they seemed to have not entered his result for day 2, so I would have finished in 5th spot.

5 Shane Taylor 3 1.010 3 2.085 6 3.095

So in closing I had a great time fishing my first Bream competition, it was on my local fishery so that certainly helped :grin:

It was pretty tough conditions due to the wind, and it certainly is true that comp fishing makes you fish in conditions you may normally avoid, I know that I would not have been out there with those winds predicted had it not been for the comp. I fully intend to fish as much of this series as I can, and I am looking forward to trying to some new fisheries and can only recommend to anyone who is thinking of getting into the comp side of things to give it a go, it was a lot of fun.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Cheers,

Shane

Yak PB's
Bream 43cm Flathead 91cm Snapper 68cm Tailor 49cm Whiting 39cm Luderick 36cm EP 37cm FL Bass 53cm FL

"There is only one reason in the world to go fishing: to enjoy yourself. Anything that detracts from enjoying yourself is to be avoided."

Jamie D
2015 Saltwater Angler of the Year
Local Fishing Region: South East Queensland and Northern New South Wales
Kayaks: Vortex VTX 560

Re: BLF SBS RD1 St Georges Basin - 08-09 Feb 2014

#2 Post by Jamie D » Mon Feb 10, 2014 4:58 pm

Respectable show Shane

YakTTMax
KFDU 1000 Club
Local Fishing Region: Illawarra & South Coast
Kayaks: Australis Pelagic, 2015 Hobie Tandem Island

#3 Post by YakTTMax » Mon Feb 10, 2014 5:12 pm

That's a fantastic result for a debut into competition fishing, congrats.
All the best, Rob..:bye:
PB.. Flathead 50cm, Bream 37cm FL, Snapper 64cm, Bonito 43cm, Trevally 44cm, Australian Salmon 55cm, Tailor 38cm, Barracuda 100cm, Rainbow Trout 55cm, Bass 42cm FL..

ifish1208
KFDU 500 Club
Local Fishing Region: Sydney
Kayaks: Hobie Pro Angler

#4 Post by ifish1208 » Mon Feb 10, 2014 5:33 pm

Well done on getting a good result. Nice to meet you and might see you at next one

woodsy
KFDU 1000 Club
Local Fishing Region: illawarra/south coast
Kayaks: PRO ANGLER 12

#5 Post by woodsy » Mon Feb 10, 2014 7:24 pm

Well done Shane great result for you first comp the SBS is a well run comp
Cheers Bill

12 PA12
Kayak PBs
Bream 36.5cm,Black Bream 43cm,Bass 43cm,Bass 34cm (fly ) Cod 60cm Flathead 73cm,Whiting 37cm,Tailor 62cm,EP 35cm,Travelly 51cm,Jew 55cm,Snapper 46.5cm,Blackfish 36cm
New PB's Murry Cod 60cm
Member of nsw south coast kayak fisho's
Member of Southern Highlands Kayak Fisho's

DRUSKI
KFDU Angler
Local Fishing Region: Basin View / surrounding areas
Kayaks: Hobie Pro Angler

#6 Post by DRUSKI » Mon Feb 10, 2014 8:21 pm

Great effort Shane. I went down there on Saturday morning for a squizz, and had a chat to Chris (the local hobie dealer) while you all set off. Looked like a well run comp, and if the pa is set up by the Clyde river comp, i'll hope to see you there. once again top effort. :cool: :cool: :cool:
Cheers DRUSKI

Hobie PA

butts
Club Co-ordinator
Local Fishing Region: Illawarra

#7 Post by butts » Tue Feb 11, 2014 11:23 am

Well done Shane

Great result for your first comp. Not a bad bag at all.

I can see this comp growing in size like is did in years gone past.
Spewin I couldn't make it but there wasn't a chance in hell of me making the briefing.

Butts...
Member of NSW South Coast Kayak Fisho's

Quote:
"Respect their choice"

YakNBass
KFDU Angler
Local Fishing Region: Shoalhaven River, Tallowa Dam, Any fresh water inland rivers or dams
Kayaks: Pro Angler 14, Preception Synchro, Australis Bass

#8 Post by YakNBass » Tue Feb 11, 2014 12:41 pm

Well done Shane. Only just missing out on third place. Not bad for your first comp :lek:
Kayak PB's: River Bass f/l 47cm, Dam Bass f/l 43cm, Bass(FLY) f/l 40.5cm, Estuary Perch f/l 38cm, Dusky Flat head 58cm, Redfin f/l 37cm, Sand Mullet 42cm, Bream f/l 35cm, Tailor f/l 42cm, Murray Cod 94cm, Trevally f/l 39cm, Silver Perch 41cm, Yellow-belly 56cm, Whiting 35cm

SHKFC - NSW

Yaktricity
2014 Saltwater Angler of the Year
Local Fishing Region: Shoalhaven
Kayaks: Hobie PA12, Quest 11 and Australis Bass

#9 Post by Yaktricity » Tue Feb 11, 2014 8:43 pm

Thanks guys, really enjoyed the experience, will be doing more of it for sure.
Cheers,

Shane

Yak PB's
Bream 43cm Flathead 91cm Snapper 68cm Tailor 49cm Whiting 39cm Luderick 36cm EP 37cm FL Bass 53cm FL

"There is only one reason in the world to go fishing: to enjoy yourself. Anything that detracts from enjoying yourself is to be avoided."

FishinPedro
KFDU Angler
Local Fishing Region: Illawarra, Shoalhaven, SGB
Kayaks: Hobie Outback

#10 Post by FishinPedro » Tue Feb 11, 2014 9:09 pm

Great work from the Yak mate, very tough conditions out there. I was in my mates boat, we have previously done the Gama rounds last year, however I want to do a few comps this year in the Yak. I had a quick chat to a couple of the Yak guys on the first morning to suss out set ups and thought about you guys when that wind picked up. The west side of the Basin was hard going, that 28cm you got must have been from a big school as that is what we caught plenty on that side.
Cheers,
Pete

rocket439
KFDU Angler
Local Fishing Region: Wollongong
Kayaks: Hobie PA 12

#11 Post by rocket439 » Thu Feb 27, 2014 10:34 am

Nice work Shane. Pretty good result for a first timer. :cool:

Hopefully get to do my first comp sometime this year as well! :wink:
Tight lines and calm waters,

Rocket.

PB: Blonde 165cm (62kg) - Brunette 175cm (68kg) - Redhead 161cm (55kg) - Asian 166cm (61kg)

Member of: NSW South Coast Kayak Fisho's

Fishing is not a matter of life or death... It's much more important than that!

Return to “BLF Southern Bream Series”