Social Flathead Challenge I (Results and Trip Reports)

If you like competing in a friendly, low pressure setting then this is a great place to check out our social competitions
Leper
KFDU Site Manager
Local Fishing Region: SE Queensland
Kayaks: Old Town Vapor 10 Angler, Mantra Noa, Viking Tempo and Eco Daintree

Social Flathead Challenge I (Results and Trip Reports)

#1 Post by Leper » Mon Jul 19, 2010 6:55 pm

Ok fellow yakkas the results are in. Thankyou to everyone who participated. I hope you all had a good time even if the flathead weren't participating. I have been very loose in regards to the photo entries as this was only a trial to help fine tune the rules for future Competitions. It gave me a lot of insights into potential problems which I will post at a later date for everyone to discuss and add their input.

Please post your trip reports here so that everyone can see your entries and hear about the challenges of the day. Again thank you for your support in getting this off the ground.

Congratulations to kreel who won the comp just from Physhopath on his second fish and to the Queenslanders who caught flathead with an average size of 348mm compared to NSW paltry 265mm. No I am not biased!! :tong:

Rank-----------------Name------------------STATE-------------------------Fish1---------------------Fish2---------------------Points
1---------------------kreel--------------------QLD---------------------------709mm...................485mm...................1194pts
2---------------------Physhopath-------------NSW---------------------------700mm...................400mm...................1100pts
3---------------------Leper--------------------QLD---------------------------570mm...................460mm...................1030pts
4---------------------Slim----------------------NSW---------------------------490mm...................470mm...................960pts
5---------------------billp----------------------QLD---------------------------490mm...................450mm....................940pts
6---------------------arpie---------------------NSW---------------------------500mm...................415mm...................915pts
7---------------------ifish1208----------------NSW---------------------------430mm...................420mm...................850pts
8---------------------tacklebox----------------QLD---------------------------450mm...................395mm...................845pts
9---------------------Keen-as-fisho-----------QLD---------------------------470mm...................370mm...................840pts
10---------------------WayneD-----------------QLD---------------------------403mm...................375mm..................778pts
11---------------------Old Salty----------------NSW---------------------------420mm.....................0mm..................420pts
12---------------------pelican_yak-------------QLD---------------------------410mm.....................0mm..................410pts
13---------------------Ray7---------------------QLD---------------------------240mm.....................0mm..................240pts
14---------------------OutbackYak-------------NSW-------------------------------0mm...................0mm.....................0pts
15---------------------dishley-------------------NSW-------------------------------0mm...................0mm.....................0pts
16---------------------nigel---------------------NSW-------------------------------0mm...................0mm.....................0pts
17---------------------mud---------------------QLD--------------------------------0mm...................0mm.....................0pts
18---------------------LesSimmo--------------NSW--------------------------------0mm...................0mm.....................0pts
19---------------------woodsy57---------------NSW--------------------------------0mm...................0mm.....................0pts
Last edited by Leper on Tue Jul 20, 2010 9:31 am, edited 5 times in total.
Brad

ImageImage

For other bass fishing adventures check out my blog at http://www.yakbassaustralia.com

pelican_yak
KFDU Angler
Local Fishing Region: Brisbane

Re: Social Flathead Challenge (Results and Trip Reports)

#2 Post by pelican_yak » Mon Jul 19, 2010 7:05 pm

Well done Kreel - keeping those QLD'ers on top !!! :)

Thanks again Leper. Personally I need to sort out a better measuring mat on a solid surface myself. Will do a report later on tonight.
Pelican Navigator 4.2m

CANOE PB's
Wild Bass - 36cm
Whiting - 26cm
Flathead - 35cm
Tailor - 30cm
Mackerel - 35cm

Physhopath
KFDU Angler
Local Fishing Region: Mid North Coast NSW

#3 Post by Physhopath » Mon Jul 19, 2010 7:22 pm

Ahh Bugger pipped at the post, :ts:
The big girl was too hard to get a good pic of, had nowhere to beach and wanted to get her back in the water!! :beat:
Anyway here's my big girl,
P7180496.JPG
Gave me some grief getting tangled in my other line, which I ended up cutting, during the fight,
( ever tried cutting braid with a knife with 1 hand ?? :bb: )
P7180497.JPG
Well Done Kreel, & also A BIG round of applause for Brad
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Species Yak caught,
Flathead, Bream, Tailor, Estuary Cod, Luderick, Whiting, Bonito, Amberjack, Flounder, Pike, Slimeys, Yakkas, Toads, Black Tip Reef Shark, Snapper, Mulloway, Sting Ray, Yellowfin Tuna, Striped Tuna, Mahi Mahi(dolphinfish) & Black Marlin.

Leper
KFDU Site Manager
Kayaks: Old Town Vapor 10 Angler, Mantra Noa, Viking Tempo and Eco Daintree

#4 Post by Leper » Mon Jul 19, 2010 7:35 pm

My trip started at 6.30AM to a beautiful morning even though it was a bit chilly and the water looked sensational for a mornings kayaking.
IMG_3485 (Medium).jpg
IMG_3487 (Medium).jpg

The tide was dropping and so i drifted along the gently sloping banks of the creek casting a 70mm Squidgie fish (Gary Glitter) with a 3.5g 2/0 jighead. I got a few small hits and runs from small flathead that couldn't take the hook but were happy to run with the lure for short distances. I drifted a long distance with no result and pictured a donut for the first KFDU social comp (even if it was only a trial).

I turned around to travel back up the creek and finally picked up a small flathead that went 33cm.
IMG_3489 (Medium).jpg
A few casts later and I was on again to a good fish that had me smiling as I had a good bag to work with. :ll: I reached for the landing net and accidentally raised my rod tip. The flathead came up to the surface shook its open mouth like a barra and shook the lure. I was not happy! :shout1:

I missed another small fish after this and this seemed to be the pattern for the morning. I fished all my usual flathead holding spots for nothing and sights like this just keep teasing me! :beat:
IMG_3493 (Medium).jpg
I continued up the creek and ventured into new parts of the creek that I rarely fished targeting the inside bends of creek where sand had built up and the incoming tide formed eddies. I have caught numerous fish doing this and was lucky enough to manage another small fish of 39.5cm which had me with a complete bag even if it was a small one :ll:
IMG_3497 (Medium).jpg
I continued up the creek a little further with no result and decided to head back downstream and try again on a few bends I had tried earlier at low tide. I peppered the first bend with no result and headed to the second. After a few casts I had a good hit and loaded up on a nice fish. The drag peeled off a few times and the fish sought its freedom and I was a little nervous about a long distance release :tong: but eventually the flattie was netted and I was a happy yakker :fg:

She went 57cm and I had to head to the bank to measure her.
IMG_3501 (Medium).jpg
IMG_3499 (Medium).jpg
I was much happier with my catch but decided to head further downstream and drift back with the tide in the hope of picking up another. I was rewarded with another fish that went 460mm to finish the day and add to my tally.
IMG_3503 (Medium).jpg
Overall it was a really tough days fishing and my seat for my tempo had one of the straps to the seat snap which was a killer on my back!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Leper on Mon Jul 19, 2010 8:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Brad

ImageImage

For other bass fishing adventures check out my blog at http://www.yakbassaustralia.com

Kreel
KFDU Angler

#5 Post by Kreel » Mon Jul 19, 2010 7:47 pm

Flathead Comp - Ningi Creek
P1000299.jpg
Tacklebox and I were to meet up with Keen-as-fisho and Robtarr at the Imbul ramp at 7:30am. However due to my lengthy beauty regime we weren't on the water till 8.

I had only replaced my hull a couple of days earlier and didn't have any of my usual creature comforts (rod holders, Fish Finder) and had lost more of my gear in a recent tumble in the surf at Moreton but I wasn't about to let that hamper the christening of "Mao II" my yellow Revolution.

We fished with the tide all day which meant the morning took us to the mouth of Ningi which saw Robtarr and Keen-as haul in fish after fish while tBox and I were biding our time, waiting to explode at our spot Xs. Robb had to leave us at the mouth of Ningi for more pressing family commitments which is about when we last 3 decided to head up-river.

It was looking like a Flatty donut for me until we hit the spot I had most hope in, and not to disappoint this is where my favourite flatty gal lay. I am missing my landing net and didn't relish the thought of hauling this 71cm gal over the side into my lap - so I decided to land her on a handy bit of beach. Well it looked like beach and with one step I could see how wrong I could be with mud up to my knees.

Long story longer - I got the first one in and was fertively looking around for a second to make up my entry when the line went taut and number 2 was on board - 34 cm. There had to be a better fish out there and within minutes I had my upgrade and a 48.5cm beauty hopped on board.

I will only speak for my catch but it was a cracker of a day and I landed a total of 10 fish - 3 Flathead, 3 Pike, 2 Bream and 2 Rays. The second ray was caught at the same spot I caught my large flatty and during the battle I had convinced myself that this would be my metre+ flattie - more-fool-me. All fish were caught on sx48 or 60 lures, the big gal was caught on an sx48 which later in the day became lip jewelry for the ray.

Thankyou to the good folk at KFDU and especially Brad the leper for organising a fun comp - I look forward to more in the future.
Flathead-011-Kreel.jpg
Flathead-021-Kreel.jpg

aus_bass
KFDU 500 Club
Local Fishing Region: Northern Rivers NSW and SE QLD
Kayaks: n/a

#6 Post by aus_bass » Mon Jul 19, 2010 8:09 pm

Thanks for understanding my PM Brad, so dissapointed about not being ble to fish damn uni!
:shout1:

Sounds like a few people had some fun! Congrats kreel on some good fish there and Physopaths arent to be scoffed at either :snic:

Thankyou to Brad for organising the event which Im sure ran successfully behind the scencs as it did in full view on the forum.
:ha:
aus_bass AKA James

2015 Papaya Hobie Quest 11 (x2)

Northern NSW Fishing
http://ausbass.blogspot.com/

Member of Northern NSW and Gold Coast/Northern Rivers Kayak Fishing Clubs

Keen-as-fisho
KFDU Angler
Local Fishing Region: SEQLD
Kayaks: Hobie Outback & Pro Angler, Viking Ozzie

#7 Post by Keen-as-fisho » Mon Jul 19, 2010 8:10 pm

I knew you had it in ya Kreel, good stuff :snic: I had an average day with only 5 flatties caught and a few small bream. I had a goal first up, a flatty on a popper. Any size just wanted it. Anyway didn't happen had one have a solid strike, but couldn't get one of the six hooks to penatrate :ang:
So as Kreel mentioned we headed for the mouth where I caught three flatties ranging between 34cm and 38cm all caught on 3 inch gulp shrimps, in nuck chook and natural. Then we set course for upstream where I caught my onl legal of 47cm :sad1: on a pink micro mullet and my fifth at 39.5cm (which I did not photograph).
Thanks brad for your organisation of the event, muchly appreciated :bye:

rocketV
2012 SFC Champion
Kayaks: Hobie Revo 11, Malibu Sierra 10, Pacer

#8 Post by rocketV » Mon Jul 19, 2010 8:31 pm

well done Kreel and all the other competitors, enjoyed reading the reports and the friendly rivalry the event encourages.
hope to be able to be involved in the next one.
rocket
Fresh is best, but I don't mind some salt every now and then!

For the fresh: Mailbu Sierra 10 & Koastal Pacer
For the Salt: Hobie Revo - 11

Biggles
KFDU Site Manager
Kayaks: Hobie Quest 11, Hobie Pro Angler 12

#9 Post by Biggles » Mon Jul 19, 2010 9:12 pm

Well done everyone, what a great turnout for a bit of fun. While you were all out fishing I was busy packing the house ready for our move this weekend coming, BUT, I did think of you all on Friday when I headed out with Rob to do some product testing. I'm in for the next round for sure, top behind the scenes work Leper.

Al
flathead55cmalan.jpg

arpie
2011 Saltwater Angler of the Year
Local Fishing Region: mid north coast
Kayaks: Hobie Sport, Perception Minnow

#10 Post by arpie » Mon Jul 19, 2010 9:29 pm

Congratulations to Keel, Physhopath & Leper on their fine competitive efforts in taking out the top 3!!! I snuck into top 10!! YAY!! So much better than my Pirtek experience! :ts: Mind you, I hooked a whopper then, but it got off! :sad1:

I headed over to Tuncurry to work some of my favourite racks & reasonably early on, caught about 3 tiddlers!! I didn't even bother taking their photo, as I figured if they weren't legal, they didn't really count! Then a little later, I eventually latched onto the nicer 50cm one ..... and was very happy that it chose to swim out into the open water, rather than go further into the maze of racks! :ha:
IMGP4448.jpg
I found another couple of small ones then finally, caught my 2nd legal flattie - a tad over 41cm.
IMGP4449.jpg
Well done to all fishos who caught - and bad luck to those who couldn't find any! :ts: A special HUGE thankyou to Leper/Brad, for all the hard work he put into refining the concept of the competition that will work equally as well on bass & bream as well as whiting & any other fish!! And then to collate all the results as well - a champion effort there, Brad!

Cheerio

Roberta
(Mark's) Prostaff Member: Ten20 Rods

Adventure before Dementia

Perception Minnow - "Squidgies" Hobie Sport - "Fisharoo"

ifish1208
KFDU 500 Club
Local Fishing Region: Sydney
Kayaks: Hobie Pro Angler

#11 Post by ifish1208 » Mon Jul 19, 2010 9:49 pm

hi guys here is my trip report
My partner wanted to go shopping in Woolongong and throught Windang would be suitable for this comp.
Slept in didn't arrive till 9am being holidays there were heaps of stink boats. I moved to my first spot where I have caught 50+ flatty before nothing moved around everywhere for nothing. Come 2pm I was getting worried so down had some lunch and checked google maps on the iphone and I then proceeded to head out into the lake and into about 10 ft of water and started throwing around squidgy fish and second cast I was on for my first 42cm. Then the wind picked up and was starting to drift so as it made it in the PA I stood up and I could see flathead getting spooked everywhere so changed to a Ecogear blade and was on to my second fish at 43cm. Thinking it was going to get better the tailor moved and couldn't even get the lure on the bottom before the tailor smashed any way wished to sunset 5pm had a lot of fun as my first comp and looking forward to competing in the flathead comp in WoyWoy in October

LesSimmo
KFDU Angler
Local Fishing Region: Sydney

#12 Post by LesSimmo » Tue Jul 20, 2010 7:29 am

Brad,

Many thanks for organising a great social fishing day. I hope the trial worked out and it will be on again in the future. The way it was organised could be applied to any type of fish spread around the coast.

Dishley, Nigel, Old Salty and I headed to Narrabeen Lake, but other than one for Old Salty the flathead didn't play ball. Even so it was a great day on the water.
IMGP0517-a.jpg
IMGP0519-a.jpg
IMGP0522-a.jpg
IMGP0524-a.jpg
IMGP0526-a.jpg
IMGP0530-a.jpg
Brad, once again, thanks for organising a relaxed and great social comp.
Les

09 Hobie Outback

If it isn't fun it ain't worth doing.

billp
KFDU Angler
Local Fishing Region: South East QLD
Kayaks: Ultra 4.3

#13 Post by billp » Tue Jul 20, 2010 7:56 am

First off, thanks Brad, this was a a great little comp you organised. It gave me, someone who has never fished a comp before a chance to see what I needed to do to improve.

Things I have realised, I need a good camera, need a better measuring device as you will see from the photos, and I need more time on the water :ha: .

For the fishing I headed to Jacobs Well to fish the edges of the channels, it was more exploring that I did then fishing, and what a day it was, apart from the boats it was perfect.
Managed an hour or so of actual fishing and caught 10 flathead between 49 and 40cm, one of the locals tells me it was quiet compared to a few weeks ago :re: .
It was a case of what could have been as I lost two good fish that would have been around the 70cm mark near the yak. I have now learned my lesson of fishing 4lb line with no leader :bb: .
Damaged was all caused with the trusty 100mm squiggy wriggler in blood red colour.

Next time I will have a better camera and take a few more happy snaps. Thanks again Brad.
016.jpg
017.jpg
018.jpg
020.jpg

Feral
KFDU 2000 Club
Local Fishing Region: Caboolture

#14 Post by Feral » Tue Jul 20, 2010 8:21 am

Well done Kreel, now I Know why it was quiet at Ningi yesterday, you had been in there the day before thrashing lures all over the joint scaring the fish! I didn't get out on the day, so yesterday was my consolation fish, and IO only managed one little tacker.

Is Keen As Fisho's first fish length a typo Leper?

woodsy
KFDU 1000 Club
Local Fishing Region: illawarra/south coast
Kayaks: PRO ANGLER 12

#15 Post by woodsy » Tue Jul 20, 2010 8:56 am

Hi everyone
Well my day in the flathead challenge was one to forget.It started out foggy and no wind after launching at Broughton creek i fished my way to the Shaolhaven river for not even a touch then the wind picked up the out going tide and a south westerly wind had me drifting to fast it was more like trolling for tuna the speed i was going i thought that when the tide turned it would be better but the wind was stronger than the tide i was still going down river against the tide so i headed back into Broughton creek and fished my way back up to the launch place for 2 touches but no fish.
P7180034.JPG
Congrats to the winners you have done well.To the ones that didn't get a fish like me there is always next time which i hope is not far away.

PS a big thanks to Leper for the work done it is a great idea for comps it spreads the load out over the coast.
Last edited by woodsy on Tue Jul 20, 2010 11:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cheers Bill

12 PA12
Kayak PBs
Bream 36.5cm,Black Bream 43cm,Bass 43cm,Bass 34cm (fly ) Cod 60cm Flathead 73cm,Whiting 37cm,Tailor 62cm,EP 35cm,Travelly 51cm,Jew 55cm,Snapper 46.5cm,Blackfish 36cm
New PB's Murry Cod 60cm
Member of nsw south coast kayak fisho's
Member of Southern Highlands Kayak Fisho's

Return to “KFDU Social Fishing Competitions”