Social Bream Challenge (Results and Trip Reports)

If you like competing in a friendly, low pressure setting then this is a great place to check out our social competitions
Leper
KFDU Site Manager
Local Fishing Region: SE Queensland
Kayaks: Old Town Vapor 10 Angler, Mantra Noa, Viking Tempo and Eco Daintree

Social Bream Challenge (Results and Trip Reports)

#1 Post by Leper » Mon Aug 23, 2010 7:52 pm

Well it seemed to have been a tough days fishing for a lot of yakkers with the number of donuts on the results board. Congratulations to all those who did manage a bream or two! It again gave me a few new insights into how to improve the Social Bass Challenge coming up soon. I'll devote a separate post for us to discuss possible changes.

A reminder that the measured length was meant to be fork length and I have adjusted this to comply with the rules.

Please post your trip reports here so that everyone can see your entries and hear about the challenges of the day. Again thank you for your support in getting this off the ground.

Congratulations to ferguson who won absolutely detroyed the rest of us with some cracking bream and also to Slim and srmaas for their joint second place. I had to go over your entries to try and find a few mm to separate you but I couldn't so equal second it is. Please post your photos to let others compare.

So here are the results

Rank-----------------Name------------------STATE-------------------------Fish1---------------------Fish2---------------------Points
1---------------------ferguson----------------NSW---------------------------400mm...................340mm...................740pts
2---------------------Slim-------------........NSW---------------------------286mm...................234mm...................520pts
2---------------------srmaas------------------QLD---------------------------280mm...................240mm...................520pts
4---------------------Feral---------------------QLD---------------------------240mm...................225mm...................465pts
5---------------------rocketV------------------QLD---------------------------255mm...................205mm....................460pts
6---------------------billp----------------------QLD---------------------------220mm...................200mm...................420pts
7---------------------Keen-as-Fisho----------QLD---------------------------300mm......................0mm...................300pts
8---------------------ifish1208----------------NSW---------------------------280mm......................0mm...................280pts
9---------------------Enjoyfish1---------------QLD---------------------------247mm......................0mm...................247pts
10---------------------LesSimmo---------------NSW---------------------------230mm......................0mm..................230pts
11---------------------dishley---------------- NSW---------------------------220mm......................0mm..................220pts
12---------------------Kreel--------------------QLD---------------------------168mm......................0mm..................168pts
13---------------------saltydude---------------NSW-----------------------------0mm...................... 0mm.....................0pts
13---------------------Parko29-----------------NSW-----------------------------0mm......................0mm.......................0pts
13---------------------tacklebox---------------QLD------------------------------0mm...................0mm.......................0pts
13---------------------Leper--------------------QLD------------------------------0mm...................0mm.......................0pts
13---------------------Biggles-------------------QLD------------------------------0mm...................0mm.......................0pts
13---------------------JustOneMore------------QLD------------------------------0mm...................0mm.......................0pts
13---------------------crumpton794------------NSW------------------------------0mm...................0mm.......................0pts
13---------------------nigel----------------------NSW------------------------------0mm...................0mm.......................0pts
13---------------------arpie----------------------NSW------------------------------0mm...................0mm.....................0pts
13---------------------waterbaby1972----------NSW------------------------------ 0mm...................0mm.....................0pts
13---------------------livingthedream----------NSW-------------------------------0mm...................0mm.....................0pts
13---------------------kadan---------------------QLD--------------------------------0mm...................0mm.....................0pts
13---------------------Physhopath---------------NSW-------------------------------0mm...................0mm.....................0pts
13---------------------Bart70---------------------NSW-------------------------------0mm...................0mm.....................0pts
13---------------------fishingmik----------------NSW-------------------------------0mm...................0mm.....................0pts
13---------------------woodsy57-----------------NSW-------------------------------0mm...................0mm.....................0pts
13---------------------WayneD-------------------QLD--------------------------------0mm...................0mm.....................0pts

The team event results are as follows;

1. rocketV and Keen-as-Fisho 720pts
2. Slim and Biggles 520pts
2. srmaas and JustOneMore 520pts
4 Leper and Enjoyfish1 248pts
5. dishley and crumpton 220pts
6. Kreel and tacklebox 168pts
7. saltydude and Parko29 0pts

PS: I wil tidy the table up when I get a chance. Any errors please tell me!

Cheers
Last edited by Leper on Tue Aug 24, 2010 8:32 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Brad

ImageImage

For other bass fishing adventures check out my blog at http://www.yakbassaustralia.com

slim
KFDU 2000 Club
Local Fishing Region: From Coffs to Monduran
Kayaks: Hobie Quest, Outback, Revo and malibu sierra10

Re: Social Bream Challenge (Results and Trip Reports)

#2 Post by slim » Mon Aug 23, 2010 8:23 pm

Well I can start with a big thanks yet again to Brad for organising this great event. Congrats to Ferguson, a 400mm bream is a horse mate well done.

As for me it was a pretty poor morning. Went first to Browns rocks for not a single touch so left there after 20min and headed into the Iluka Marina where I managed 3 bream on sx40 cast tight to the trawlers after 25 minutes. Sadly for me there was a bream comp on so I got surrounded by bream boats, so I headed to Shark bay to try for a bream in the whitewash, but met up with Josh who said there was nothing but Sambos, so I gave it a miss. Good to see my bloody partner did his best :tong: OHHH and good to see the new south welshmen coming out on top
bream1.jpg
bream2.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Kayaks are Pandoras Braclets for men.

srmaas
KFDU Angler
Local Fishing Region: Gold Coast/SE QLD
Kayaks: Hobie outback + Pro Angler

#3 Post by srmaas » Mon Aug 23, 2010 8:56 pm

Congratulations firstly to ferguson and for his cracker 400mm Bream.
A tough day on the Gold coast! Headed to Crab island in the Broadwater Normally alot of Bream on the flats.
I got two 240mm rats early
002.JPG
Found a few smaller ones mixed in with the standard pike and flatties.
Scored one a bit bigger , but as the tide changed and water glassed off couldn't raise a bite
003.JPG
Thanks Brad for sorting out a fun day!

Cheers Steve.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Keen-as-fisho
KFDU Angler
Local Fishing Region: SEQLD
Kayaks: Hobie Outback & Pro Angler, Viking Ozzie

#4 Post by Keen-as-fisho » Mon Aug 23, 2010 8:57 pm

:ll: RocketV and I, no1, awesome, well done Rod. And 7th for individual, pretty good, if only I knew about entering undersize fish (I knew just didn't think about photographing them :bb: )

rocketV
2012 SFC Champion
Local Fishing Region: Brisbane
Kayaks: Hobie Revo 11, Malibu Sierra 10, Pacer

#5 Post by rocketV » Mon Aug 23, 2010 10:01 pm

Congratulation to all the competitors who managed a fish or two, and a big thanks to Leper for all the hard work organising. :smi:
As has been said, it was a tuff day to chase bream.
My plan was to hit up the marina in Cabbage Tree Creek early to attempt extraction of a few resident breambos. I have had some success there in the past, the biggest challenge seems to be getting your SP past the hordes of ravenous toadfish, and evading the toothy pike that flash through the bait schools in the area.
My first cast of the morning (4lb braid/4lb flurocarbon) gets snagged on a mooring rope :bb: great start.
I snapped it off, went in and rescued my jighead/SP (and the boat owners hands :ts: ) and retied my little 40mm squidgy wriggler that had been liberally coated in X-Factor. Confidence low, I flicked in a cast beside the pontoon and remembered the advice in the squidgy catalogue that arrived with my fishing magazine during the week...fish it slow!
A few slow cranks and a tap, one more slow crank and I'm on...be a bream, be a bream, be a bream...yes it's a bream :ha:
Safely on board I then wrestle with the problematic task of single handed yak fish photography.
At 25.5FL I was stoked to be on the board so early and pleased that my plan had come good.
I tried the same tactics for the next hour, but the tide started pushing out too hard, sweeping the lure out of the strike zone before even the toadies could get it.
I then trolled my way to another loction but didn't get a touch. Even at the top of the tide, when the water is normally quite dirty and thick with flotsam, everything was crystal clear. Perhaps this accounted for the spooky fish and lack of action?
I got to my next spot (where I got a good tailor and flatty the previous week), and re-rigged with some SP's for some more casting.
This time I went with a cut down version of the Berkley Gulp! Turtle Back Worm. I find that if I use the whole worm the fish attracting curly tail gets nipped off leaving an un-appealing target, so I normally take to it with the scissors and use the last 50mm on a small jig head. I reckon this gives me a better chance of a hookup and a better hook/lure ratio.
First cast I lobbed into the shallows near a drop off and the slow crank action earned me another hit that came up solid.
Hopeful of another bream I was excited to see the familiar silver of a bream but dissapointed that it was only a juvenile.
Having read the rules and not seeing anything about fish needing to be legal to qualify, even this little fella was welcome.
Oh well, a bream is a bream and 2 fish gave me a full bag, so another dodgy pic is on the memory stick and the little fella goes back to grow some more.
Was having trouble getting a good drift and finding a balance between jighead size V current. Too much and I was getting snagged, too little and the tide was pushing it past the area I wanted to target.
Why is it, regardless of how much gear you have / take, you always need the size you don't have? :doubt:
No more bream came to play and the toadies found me again, so went back to HBs and trolled my way to some more structure. More of the same there, so back to plan A at spot A.
The beautiful conditions were bringing out the crowds, with all manner of craft and land based anglers competing for water and fish alike.
The pontoons gave me nothing but more sacrificed SPs , so I changed tack, put on the trolling lures and went for a Pedal.
I figured that if the bream were not were the bream should be, then perhaps the bream are over with the flathead having a bit of sunday session on the flats.
Nobody loved my lures on the troll with the tide, so I turned back into the tide and peddled hard to get back to the pontoons.
Pushing my lures to their limit, I was just waiting for one of them to pop out of the water and go turtle when the drag starting make that lovely noise that all fisherpeoples just love.
Be a bream, be a bream, be a bream...bloody flathead :sad1: any other day I'd have been overjoyed with a 50cm lizzard on the working end of my halco laser pro, but today he felt very unloved.
He went back to party with his bream mates, and I was pestered by more pike on the way back to the ramp.
Home I went, happy that I had a full bag, but fully expecting that almost everyone would have got bigger and better.
Now after the fact, I read the results and am thankful that I got anything to show for my morning on the water with CEDRIC (my beloved steed) :smi:
Thanks for reading my very long and detailed report, and congrats to my team mate Keen-as-fisho on our win in the teams event. What a team :snic:

rocket
bream social kfdu 008.jpg
bream social kfdu 002.jpg
bream social kfdu 005.jpg
Last edited by rocketV on Mon Aug 23, 2010 10:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fresh is best, but I don't mind some salt every now and then!

For the fresh: Mailbu Sierra 10 & Koastal Pacer
For the Salt: Hobie Revo - 11

tacklebox
KFDU Angler
Local Fishing Region: Brisbane
Kayaks: Hobie Revolution

#6 Post by tacklebox » Mon Aug 23, 2010 10:04 pm

13th! woohoo! :tong:

Congrats to Ferguson on taking out the comp, and to RocketV and Keen-as-fisho on the team win. Glad I'm not the only one who had it tough yesterday. Only caught a flathead and a pike for the morning, until just before stumps when I thought I finally had one of the target species but it was pink.

Well done Brad for organising the comp. Great fun, bring on the next one!

Biggles
KFDU Site Manager
Kayaks: Hobie Quest 11, Hobie Pro Angler 12

#7 Post by Biggles » Mon Aug 23, 2010 10:07 pm

slim wrote:Good to see my bloody partner did his best :tong:
:sad1: Sorry fella, hit the water with Gillian and was doing ok for the first 30mins or so with 3 just under barnacle munchers on board. The boss nailed a nice flatty and was just starting to show off when she got snagged up. I went to help being the nice bloke that I am, unfortunately for me I grabbed the braid in the wrong spot and sliced open my bloody index finger. That was it for me, dusted on the misses line :beat: Here is a pic of happier times about 5 mins before the INCIDENT :md:

Al
P8220002.JPG

ifish1208
KFDU 500 Club
Local Fishing Region: Sydney
Kayaks: Hobie Pro Angler

#8 Post by ifish1208 » Mon Aug 23, 2010 10:14 pm

Caught up with Salty,Crumpton, buj, yakyakker and others sorry if i forgot anyone.
Met them in Port Hacking early start 6:30 we hit the water and made our way up the river as we all competing in the Bream Comp. We made our way up the river till we got the fresh water. I caught a few whiting on the blade and sx40 but still no bream then I caught one of those big tooth pike . Starting to give up I trolled a sx40 and blade and got half down the river when my rod with the sx40 bent over and line started screening out of my new $69 BCF combo i fought the fish and yes it was a bream and a good one too and then at the last minute pulled the hooks on it. Everyone went back to the launching area where i throught I would keep going as the comp isnt over yet. Headed down river and got to the first pontoon and wharf and cast a sx40 and soon as it hit the water it got nailed by nice bream I faught and finally landed my first bream in the comp. i continued all afternoon a total of 9 hrs on the water but only managed the one. had a great day and cant wait to get back to Hacking this weekend try again.

Leper
KFDU Site Manager

#9 Post by Leper » Mon Aug 23, 2010 11:03 pm

Got up early at 4.30AM and met up at Manly Marina with Enjoyfish1. Plan was to hit the weed beds early with the rising tide and head up Lota or Tingalpa Creek later. Arrived to a beautiful sunrise to start the day but the low winds that were promised were not as low as we wanted and the water was like crystal.
Meet up with Rob who had posted two impressive tallies from the weekend before and he gave us a few tips how to fish the area.

IMG_0053 (Medium).jpg
Initially drifted along the outer wall waiting for the tide to rise up a bit higher over the seagrass. Then drifted over the weed beds with Enjoyfish1 and Rob (n4sa316) and another yakker. With one small bream being caught by the yakker with Rob but very little fish being seen in the crystal clear water. We headed into Lota and I cast around some old jetties for nothing and Enjoyfish 1 casting amongst the mangroves. He had a few follows with no hookups and I joined him for no result again. The donut began looming at this point. I found a few schools of fish up Tingalpa on the Sounder and drifted with a few SP's and got a few small bumps again with no luck. Drifting up the channel I continued to get numerous taps but no hookups. Enjoyfish managed a small flathead but the breambos continued to elude us.

We headed back to the weed beds and continued our lack of form and decided to pull up the yaks and head to the canals around Hope Island to try a new location.
IMG_0054 (Medium).jpg
We arrived at a little creek that lead to some canals around the Coomera river and launched the yaks.
IMG_0057 (Medium).jpg
We cast at numerous pontoons and million dollar boats in the canals. Headed out into Coomera River and cast at Rocky outcrops and dodged bloody stinkboats and crazy Jetskis. The Coomera seemed to have more traffic than the Pacific Highway!!! :mad1: I had a few follows but no joy and Enjoyfish1 picked up another small flathead. On the way back I managed an average flathead and on a snag.
IMG_0056 (Medium).jpg
We headed to a new location and I managed a few good follows but couldn't get the bream to hit the lure. They would buzz it then turn around and buzz it again without striking :shout1: Enjoyfish finally managed a bream to get a few points but overall it was a very tough day!!
Brad

ImageImage

For other bass fishing adventures check out my blog at http://www.yakbassaustralia.com

Feral
KFDU 2000 Club
Local Fishing Region: Caboolture

#10 Post by Feral » Mon Aug 23, 2010 11:12 pm

Ha whopped ya but rocket!

Leper, I forgive you for not knowing how to legally measure a fish :tong:

Al, what can I say, the teaspoon and the cement are in the mail. Besides dont you know you catch more fish in yellow yaks? Slim did! :snic:

I got 3 bream all up, but pickins were slim, biggest was only just just legal, next just under (although some dodgy tail bending might have got it over the line on dark night ) All mine caught on the tiniest lure I had, a little river to sea baby crank 30.
P8220004.jpg
P8220006.jpg
P8220009.jpg
As per my report on my "exotic bream" bycatch for the day kept me amused, with a good flattie on my favourite micro mullet and some whiting and pike on the baby crank. They go alright whiting and pike on the 1 kilo rod! Lost my favourite Micro Mullet to a snag after being to lazy to check my leader after a missed hit. Last half of the morning was fighting quite a stiff breeze running against the tide, was a bit sore and tired last night after a 6 hour session. I'm getting soft!

Leper
KFDU Site Manager

#11 Post by Leper » Mon Aug 23, 2010 11:30 pm

Feral fork length is just a bit easier to measure in photos especially with the variety of measuring devices used such as simple tape measures! :ll:
Brad

ImageImage

grumpy2
KFDU Angler
Local Fishing Region: north coast nsw

#12 Post by grumpy2 » Mon Aug 23, 2010 11:46 pm

why is it that we have all these brilliant photos of beautiful areas and mangroves with shots of bream and flathead and yet no photos of mudcrabs.

BLASPHEMY

Its a disgrace. :yum:

T.J
KFDU 500 Club
Local Fishing Region: Here and there

#13 Post by T.J » Tue Aug 24, 2010 12:29 am

grumpy2 wrote:why is it that we have all these brilliant photos of beautiful areas and mangroves with shots of bream and flathead and yet no photos of mudcrabs.

BLASPHEMY

Its a disgrace. :yum:
Probably because Mud Crabs and these sort of critters http://www.kfdu.com.au/forum/viewtopic. ... &t=525&p== are not your usual by catch when Bream fishing :re:
Regards,
T.J

ferguson
KFDU 500 Club
Local Fishing Region: sydney or anywhere really

#14 Post by ferguson » Tue Aug 24, 2010 1:42 am

Jorgen Jorgensen :snic: :snic:

Well firstly a big thanks to Leper again for organising the whole event, another big thanks to all the congratulators, and a well done to all the other competitors.

I wasn’t planning on entering the event until the other half of ‘Team Unpopular’(Dishley) said he was looking for a partner. Unfortunately we weren’t able to submit our entries as a team due to some other commitments that The Dish had, that would possibly see him unable to compete. In the end we were able to fish the fading light of Sunday evening together which was pretty cool.

I decided to fish two stretches of water in search of a decent fish, but only if the first location didn’t produce. I launched at 6.15 at the first destination, and was off the water by about 11am with only four average Bream to add to the tally. I launched at the second location around 12.30pm, and paddled off in search of something a little larger. I ended up with about another 8-10 Bream from this stretch, the largest coming aboard at about 3pm. So as most of us discovered on the day, things were a bit slow and there was a lot of time and effort spent for some modest numbers.

I was extremely lucky to land either of my entries, because as you could imagine, the big beasties ran me around every piece of crap they could find to try and secure their escape. I lost count of how many times i had to tie on a new leader.

Also, as you will notice in the first picture (which isn't an entry), i had my ‘measuring device’ all sorted and was hoping to see many fish slide across it. Alas, as you will notice in the second picture, i had to resort to a back up system when i realised all too late that in my haste to get back in the water, i had left the bloody thing on the top of my car back at the carpark! :ops: I left it up to Leper to decide whether or not this method was acceptable, and i was pretty glad to see there was a reasonable difference between my entries and the next closest, so there wouldn’t be any potential problems. Ultimately i would have happily handed the lead over to the next closest if there was...or still is.

Anyway, back to the shadows with me...

Once again, well done to all involved.

Oh... and yes, check out the big hunk of meat i was able to ‘vibe’ off the bottom while i was waiting for Dishly to arrive... nice bycatch :smi:

(Q. Would you like a few tips on how to catch big Bream? A. Sell your Hobie and buy a Prowler! :snic: :snic: :snic: )
Last edited by ferguson on Tue Aug 24, 2010 5:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OK PROWLER 13

LesSimmo
KFDU Angler
Local Fishing Region: Sydney

#15 Post by LesSimmo » Tue Aug 24, 2010 6:13 am

I met Nigel at Rozelle Bay on Sydney Harbour at 5:30am and we were both keen for a relaxed social day on the water. It was my first time fishing here. We were just about to launch at about 6:30am and Nigel said have you got your ruler. My answerer was no, so had to go back to the car. Thanks Nigel!

We probed around the abundant structure for a few enquiries as Nigel called them and then I landed the one fish of the day at 230mm fork on a Gulp 2" Shrimp in Banana Prawn. Later I had a significant enquiry and I hooked a decent bream who promptly ran me around an oyster coated pylon and that was the end of that encounter.

We continued on around the bay past Jamie Packer's and Frank Lowey's boats and then across to the Fish Markets in Blackwattle Bay, no action there, so we fished around the old Glebe Island Bridge dodging boat and ferry traffic. More enquiries, but no hookups. We headed back the the original structure, fished for a while and landed about 12noon.

Hard work for one bream, but a very enjoyable day on the water.
IMGP0537-a.jpg
IMGP0541-a.jpg
IMGP0541-b.jpg
IMGP0552-a.jpg
IMGP0573-a.jpg
Last edited by LesSimmo on Tue Aug 24, 2010 3:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Les

09 Hobie Outback

If it isn't fun it ain't worth doing.

Return to “KFDU Social Fishing Competitions”