Social Bream Challenge (Results and Trip Reports)

If you like competing in a friendly, low pressure setting then this is a great place to check out our social competitions
billp
KFDU Angler
Local Fishing Region: South East QLD
Kayaks: Ultra 4.3

Re: Social Bream Challenge (Results and Trip Reports)

#16 Post by billp » Tue Aug 24, 2010 7:41 am

Thanks for another great excuss to get out of the house and do some fishing Brad. SWMBO can never say no when it is a social thing :snic: .

To the fishing, I was the one that was out with Rob, getting some local knowledge about the weed beds and other things. Found Rob to be a top block with a hell of a lot of knowledge for the area.
As Brad said the fishing was very slow, I managed 3 bream in the end with the top two of 22cm and 20cm, (will need more practise before the KFT :ops: ). The weather and tide both conspired against us, but that's why they call it fishing and not catching.

I can see me spending a few more hours in the coming month around there honing my skills, and taking some more photos.
001[1].JPG
002[2].JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

dishley

#17 Post by dishley » Tue Aug 24, 2010 12:49 pm

First of all a big UP YOURS to Ferguson for fishing MY FAVORITE JETTY AND PULLING A 40CM!!! :mad1: :snic:

I was out clearing Lantana all morning and didn't get onto the water until 4pm. I was covered in ticks (pulled 14 off the following day) and feeling really woozy but managed to pick up one little fella before dark. I have no lights for my kayak and the wind was picking up so an hour and a half fishing was all I could manage unfortunately.
P8220869.JPG
I'd had a call from Fergo to meet up with him when I could make it so as I paddled over to him I saw his rod start to bend over. I'd already been told about his thumper bream so when I saw him onto another ripper I knew my chances of beating him were over.....

HA HA that's no bream! Only a measly 5kg flattie. :snic: Chances are improving!! (very slightly)! :ha: Now I only have 74cm's to beat!! :sad1:
All jokes aside well done Fergo, 2 pb's in one day is a great effort mate. You certainly deserve the win, you sure put in the effort.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

rocketV
2012 SFC Champion
Local Fishing Region: Brisbane
Kayaks: Hobie Revo 11, Malibu Sierra 10, Pacer

#18 Post by rocketV » Tue Aug 24, 2010 12:53 pm

Just as well it wasn't a two species comp cause that lizzard is a rippa.
there's an idea....one bream + one flathead biggest total length wins.
rod
Fresh is best, but I don't mind some salt every now and then!

For the fresh: Mailbu Sierra 10 & Koastal Pacer
For the Salt: Hobie Revo - 11

brez

#19 Post by brez » Tue Aug 24, 2010 5:00 pm

sounds like a really tough days fishing for most people looking at the scoreboard . well done to everyone who got to have a go , but congratulations most of all to the bream professor . well done FERGO on the win and restoring some NSW pride too . cheers

Brez

nigel
KFDU 2000 Club
Local Fishing Region: sydney & surrounding areas
Kayaks: dag midway,DD3 max ski,stellar S18S ski ozflyte ski cheeps plastic

#20 Post by nigel » Tue Aug 24, 2010 5:27 pm

Im yet to catch a fish on a Leper social challenge (no lizard last time no bream on sunday )but no worries a nice day nothing to add to Les,s report & similar photo,s so will post one only up close & personal with a Sydney Harbour Ferry (or 2 actually one moored behind the other) are well maybe next time whats the species for the next challenge leper & by the way I dont care if I dont catch just good getting out on the water.

Pommy Nigel :ll:
ImageImage

dishley

#21 Post by dishley » Tue Aug 24, 2010 6:22 pm

Next one is bass Nigel, you're welcome to borrow a skinny water yak and come for a flick. I'll even choose somewhere with minimal portages for you :)

waterbaby1972
KFDU 500 Club
Local Fishing Region: Eden, NSW and surrounds
Kayaks: Hobie Sport

#22 Post by waterbaby1972 » Tue Aug 24, 2010 7:35 pm

WOW, what an amazing photo Nigel!!
Have to say thanks to Brad for the effort he put in... your effort putting all this together and an inspiring challenge meant that I got up with my hangover :tire: and went fishing for six hours..

hit the kiah river at a reasonable hour of around 8.30am and hit the water which was magic.
Kiah1.JPG
kiah3.JPG
every time I hit a spot i thought might be a good breambo spot, next thing i see is all the bream charging off in all directions. saw a monster flatty take off too... at least a 90cm...

a few more bends and a lot of bream sightings and fudged attempts later (water was crystal clear) saw a massive school of salmon... slowed down to go with the drift and next thing they were swimming around me just taking the mickey :shout1:
kiah5-salmon.JPG
not interested in anything i threw at them, and lucky i'm not a cheater because by the end of the day i would have resorted to my trusty prawn just to see if that would work.

headed up to the mouth end of the river and again, a massive school of salmon decided to play with my head and not my bait. Add injury to that, tinny cruises passed to let me know there's another school further up and they'd got their dinner :shout1: and were going home....

the wind picked up and I started to get chilly so headed back up river... stopped again at another spot known to have mulloway pulled out of it but
-------crickets------- even had a snack with my line out to see if i could tempt it via murphy's law but ------ crickets-------

the highlight of the day was going over to the bank to investigate what these critters were.... haven't seen them at the edge on the river before...
kiah6-crabswatersedge.JPG
kiah6-crabsonthemove.JPG
kiah6-crabscloseup.JPG
(hope that helps with the mudcrab issue :snic: - not as big though :snic: )

so 6 hours later i dragged myself and the yak out of the water and headed home and submitted my report to Brad -----

retired injured - fishing ego beaten :bb:

thanks again Brad... and it was great to read all your reports..... i just wish I'd had a little interest shown by the fish!

at least i stayed afloat second trip out :snic: that's gotta be a positive

:bye:

RUG
KFDU 2000 Club
Local Fishing Region: NSW-Illawarra/South Coast
Kayaks: Hobie Outback, Wilderness Aspire 105

#23 Post by RUG » Tue Aug 24, 2010 7:52 pm

Nigel don't you know that Bream HATE Parramatta colours? :snic: :snic: :snic:
Yak PBs: Bass(Wild)44cm F/L, Bream 37cm F/L, Flathead 78cm, Snapper 50cm, Yellowbelly 54cm
"The best fisherman in the world is the one having the most fun."

brez

#24 Post by brez » Tue Aug 24, 2010 7:54 pm

waterbaby1972 wrote::

the highlight of the day was going over to the bank to investigate what these critters were.... haven't seen them at the edge on the river before...
kiah6-crabscloseup.JPG
at least i stayed afloat second trip out :snic: that's gotta be a positive

:bye:
thats a big session with a hangover Jodie . those little critters are soldier crabs and they make excellent bream bait , though you probably would have liked to kmow that before the comp day . used to get heaps of bream on them up at Burrill lake when i was much younger , but they seem to be long gone since the entrance closed up there . looks like you had a nice spot and shame you couldnt tempt the sambo's theyre great fun . cheers

Brez

brez

#25 Post by brez » Tue Aug 24, 2010 7:55 pm

RUG wrote:Nigel don't you know that Bream HATE Parramatta colours? :snic: :snic: :snic:
if by your logic bream dont like parramatta then the parramatta river must be a very poor bream fishery then RUG :tong:

waterbaby1972
KFDU 500 Club
Local Fishing Region: Eden, NSW and surrounds
Kayaks: Hobie Sport

#26 Post by waterbaby1972 » Wed Aug 25, 2010 7:29 am

Thanks Brez... would have definitely been fun trying to see me catch a few of those little criters by that stage of the day... I was desperate enough to try it by then too.... face down in the mud probably would have been the result! must remember that though! thanks for the tip :bye:

Leper
KFDU Site Manager
Local Fishing Region: SE Queensland
Kayaks: Old Town Vapor 10 Angler, Mantra Noa, Viking Tempo and Eco Daintree

#27 Post by Leper » Wed Aug 25, 2010 7:42 am

I used soldier crabs in Townsville chasing bream for a mate of mine doing research on Pikey bream. We used soldier crabs on a long shank hook. Threaded two on like beads. You'd feel the first hit and know that one crab had gone and would wait for the second hit to hook the fish!
Brad

ImageImage

For other bass fishing adventures check out my blog at http://www.yakbassaustralia.com

nigel
KFDU 2000 Club
Local Fishing Region: sydney & surrounding areas
Kayaks: dag midway,DD3 max ski,stellar S18S ski ozflyte ski cheeps plastic

#28 Post by nigel » Wed Aug 25, 2010 8:06 am

dishley wrote:Next one is bass Nigel, you're welcome to borrow a skinny water yak and come for a flick. I'll even choose somewhere with minimal portages for you :)
Dish your a good bloke never fished for Bass sure it will be a good exsperience may well take you up on the offer.

cheers

Nigel
ImageImage

ferguson
KFDU 500 Club
Local Fishing Region: sydney or anywhere really

#29 Post by ferguson » Wed Aug 25, 2010 12:08 pm

brez wrote: but congratulations most of all to the bream professor . well done FERGO on the win and restoring some NSW pride too . cheers

Brez
Don't you start that crap too :snic: :snic:

No professor here buddy, maybe a little healthy obsession (is that an oxymoron? :snic: ), but that's about it. :smi:

Thanks for the congrats mate.

You weren't able to fish on the day? Might have been a different result if you did :xx:
OK PROWLER 13

arpie
2011 Saltwater Angler of the Year
Local Fishing Region: mid north coast
Kayaks: Hobie Sport, Perception Minnow

#30 Post by arpie » Wed Aug 25, 2010 1:18 pm

Thanks for another great comp, Brad - and a HUGE congratulations to Fergo, to go with his HUGE bream! :re: BEWDIFUL!!!

Being up in Port Macq for Keith's next chemo session, we arrived early (on Sat) so that I could sneak in a day of fishing on the Sunday with Bart70/Rob, Physhopath/Danny & Gunna goonoo/Dom.

I DID manage to get out of the Lodge for an hour or so on the Sat afternoon & was being very frustrated by the multitude of blackfish that were basking in the sun, between the boats near the co-op. I was chucking my weed laden float setup as close as I dared, to the boat's ropes ........ with the occasional 'down' indicating a bit of interest from said fish ...... but disappointingly, no hookups! Some of these fish were HUGE! THen, I am grabbed from behind & nearly have a heart attack ....... Rob & young Dylan had spotted the campervan in the carpark & knew that I would be not far away, most likely with fishing rod in hand! :snic: They were right!! So now, there were 3 float spotters!!! Once again, a few 'down's but no hook-ups! :doubt:

Come Sunday morning, I knew that the boys were having a fun night the evening before (MANY BELATED HAPPIES FOR YOUR 40TH, ROB!!) so was not expecting to see them on the water too early in the piece!!! Keith had woken me up at 5.30am as he stumbled around the room, trying to locate the bathroom & as I had difficulty going back to sleep, I was pretty well on the water by 7am (hey! That's early for me!!)

My initial plan was to chuck sps around & under the boats that are all moored along the breakwall walkway, towards the co-op. I've seen monster bream lurking under those boats ..... but they obviously needed a much more stealthy approach than mine, to lure them onto the hook! :sad1: I had a couple of taps, but no hookups! I could see some shallows across the way, half way to the moored yachts & refigured my plan of attack - to include fishing the shallows and/or the boats ...... or both!!! In the shallows, i hooked up to quite a few flatties (none overly huge) but at least I was CATCHING!! :ha:

If you don't want to serrate your fingers ......holding the flattie by its mouth is NOT the smart thing to do, as those top & bottom 'clasping' teeth actually do a good job of it!!
IMGP4615.jpg
My second flattie managed to spike me in my thumb, forefinger & little finger (see attached pic) and this continuing flow of blood was to annoy me for the rest of the morning, pretty well!! :ang:
IMGP4616.jpg
FINALLY, I get the fish required ..... only to see it was a TIDDLER!! :sad1: I didn't even bother to measure it, as I figured it wouldn't rate, anyway ......(note to self ..... read the rules again before competing!!), and the following 3 bream that were similar size ...... if I'd laid them end to end, may have just gotten over the 25cm mark!! :tong: Ne'er mind - it was still fun landing them! Note the blood on my finger
IMGP4617.jpg
The flatties kept on coming ..... I changed my rig to a 'totally hidden hook' and this resulted in 'TOTALLY UNHOOKED BIG FLATTY!! :bb: Bream generally manage to hook themselves well with this system, but the flatties just don't scrunch down hard enough!! Shame, as one of the fish that was on momentarily, WAS a decent flatty!!

I changed to a diving atomic & pulled up a small tailor! At least I am getting a variety of fish!! Never know what will be next!! More blood on fingers!!
IMGP4618.jpg
I went back to a gulp shrimp & started skipping it across the water, along the edge of the weedbed & this resulted in yet another flattie (gee Port is a top nursery for flatties!) Note, towel now covering blood on fingers!
IMGP4619.jpg
By now, it was after 11am & I was having doubts about any of the boys making it onto the water, when in the distance, I picked out an orange flag ..... Bart70 had found his way from his bed to the water! :bye: We said our Hellos & Rob headed over to the the deeper section of the shallows whilst I tried to outdo my best ever number of yachts caught (best degree of difficulty with witnesses so far being Rob watching me burgle a million dollar Catarmaran at SWR, trying to retrieve a blade, without setting off the alarm system!!) Today, I caught 2, neither requiring me to vacate the yak to retrieve the lure ...... must be losing my touch!
IMGP4620.jpg
Then I caught my first ever flattie on popper!! I really thought (make that HOPED) it was a bream, as I'd put it over a real shallow bit & was retrieving towards a small gutter .... when it launched itself out of the water after the popper! TOTAL bream behaviour!!! NOT!! :ts: He was quite a good size (all went back into the drink.) Still blood on the thumb!
IMGP4621.jpg
By now it was after mid day & another smaller flattie was pulled in - then, in the distance I could see another hobie wending its way from shore - YAY!! Physopath/Danny was joining the fray!! Now, it wasn't a particularly cold or windy day today, so I was wondering if his headgear was perhaps holding his skull together after a serious 'bonding session' the evening before with Rob & Dom!??? I don't think there was much left in the Bourbon Bottle that was savagely attacked (the wager between Rob & Danny as to who would finish first in the 3 Rivers Race! :tong: )
IMGP4623.jpg
Pat 2 following ......
(Mark's) Prostaff Member: Ten20 Rods

Adventure before Dementia

Perception Minnow - "Squidgies" Hobie Sport - "Fisharoo"

Return to “KFDU Social Fishing Competitions”