Social Bass Challenge I (Results & Trip Reports)

If you like competing in a friendly, low pressure setting then this is a great place to check out our social competitions
dishley

Re: Social Bass "Season Opener" (Results & Trip Reports)

#16 Post by dishley » Mon Sep 06, 2010 4:55 pm

Good to hear you enjoyed that spot Jeff. Look after it mate and you will be rewarded when the weather warms a little. Can't wait to get out there with you and show you around a bit. Some nice bass around there.

Nice photo's too, I just love those kingfishers. Magnificent birds as you found it's bloody hard getting a decent shot of them though with a point and shoot camera.

rocketV
2012 SFC Champion
Local Fishing Region: Brisbane
Kayaks: Hobie Revo 11, Malibu Sierra 10, Pacer

#17 Post by rocketV » Mon Sep 06, 2010 5:12 pm

just spent half an hour typing a great report, then when adding images got booted out, so here's the readers digest version
1 bass
2 yellas
1 snake encounter
100 screaming school kids in canoes
Purple spinnerbait lure of day.
rod
thnaks to leper for the hard work, congrats to all competitors.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Fresh is best, but I don't mind some salt every now and then!

For the fresh: Mailbu Sierra 10 & Koastal Pacer
For the Salt: Hobie Revo - 11

snagmagnet
KFDU Angler
Local Fishing Region: blue mountains

#18 Post by snagmagnet » Mon Sep 06, 2010 5:47 pm

I started the day (wed) around 7.30am I figured the bass wouldn’t bite until a bit later so I had a sleep in. Breaking with a little tradition of tying on a lure I had caught fish on before; I tied on a soft shell cicada. After twenty or so casts I was quickly reeling it in after what I thought was a bit of a shocking cast, BOOF and the lure was gone and the line came up tight. Yes I thought, no donut for me. By the time this thought had gone through my head the fish decided to start pulling drag and then my yak into the weeds. Noooo! All I could feel was dead weight and sure enough up came a pile of weed and no fish. It is funny how you can feel happy for getting the bite but sad for losing the fish at the same time. After wiping away the tears :ts: I started casting again and putting the lure next to a log I started the retrieve and with a small swirl I was on and I managed to land my first bass for the year
bass comp.jpg
. Moving past some rapids I spotted the tip of a log sticking out of the weed and I put a cast passed it and sure enough I was on however after losing the first fish to weed I tried high sticking him out of the weed which resulted in pulled hooks and some loud expletives :mad1: . At this point a tinny came around the bend with a heap of large green oversized yabbie traps (that’s what they looked like) and proceeded to hall up old traps and put new ones in. This didn’t faze me until he started zipping up and down both sides of the river around 7 or 8 times at this point I decided that the already lock jawed fish would definitely not be interested so I headed back casting like a mad man to get the at least one more fish but with only one half-hearted strike I had to call it a day.

Congrats to t curve and everyone else who managed to get out on the water and have a good time. And a big thanks to leper for the effort put in to run this comp. It definitely puts a bit more of an edge on what is an already a fun pastime.[/b]
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

arpie
2011 Saltwater Angler of the Year
Local Fishing Region: mid north coast
Kayaks: Hobie Sport, Perception Minnow

#19 Post by arpie » Mon Sep 06, 2010 6:16 pm

Nice Cod, Snagmagnet!! shame the first hit didn't stay connected!! That snake would have had me scarpering quick smart! They move faster on water than on land, too!! I've seen a big brown scooting across the water at Boondooma! I am assuming you used the zoom lens in that one!

Jeff - a belated thankyou for your commiseration of my lost bass! :ts: I'm still sad! :sad1: Loved the shots of the kingfishers tho! They were darting all around me - I was never quick enough to get a pic of one!! One DID however, take great interest in my Keroll popper - had about 4 goes at picking it up off the water - at one point there, I was imagining myself retrieving one from the lure!! That water you were fishing screamed BASS to me!! It will produce ..... soon!

One very disappointing moment for me was when I got the yak out of the water at the brackish spot - I nearly trod onto a huge jobbie that someone had made absolutely no attempt to 'dig in', 'cover up' ..... whatever :ang: - whoever it was, it looked like they should have seen a doctor, too! :doubt: The tissues were a dead give away! :mad1: They could have at least gone into a bush, not just gone by the creek!

A video of being hit by the electric fence could have been amusing!! NOT!! :cool2:

Glad you like the sunset pics - It really was a magic sunset on the water last night - tho I think I'd prefer to be fishing with a buddy ....... a bit spooky out there on my own! :ops:

Cheers

Roberta
(Mark's) Prostaff Member: Ten20 Rods

Adventure before Dementia

Perception Minnow - "Squidgies" Hobie Sport - "Fisharoo"

brez

#20 Post by brez » Mon Sep 06, 2010 6:27 pm

[quote="Leper"Brez I know a creek where a lovely farmer has strung an electric fence across the creek which makes for the best kayak limbo you will ever see! :snic:[/quote]
yep they can be a nightmare and that one sounds very threatening . fishing in the dark once my buddy had heard the call of nature so off he went . only thing was he addressed the call of nature right on a fencepost connected to a cattle strength electric fence . the scream was deafening but im sure my laughter was louder :ops: i grew up with horses so i now to be very careful with them , nothing like being stung first thing in the morning in winter .

Oldsalty , i agree with Leper that spot is definitely worth persisting with . looks to be a very bassy piece of water . were you given that spot or did you find it yourself ? either way i LOVE it . cheers

Brez

Nativeman
KFDU 2000 Club
Local Fishing Region: the planet

#21 Post by Nativeman » Mon Sep 06, 2010 7:49 pm

Great reports and great concept, I wish I had paid more attention and entered, oh well next time...

Well done Brad,

Cheers
Sel

Leper
KFDU Site Manager
Local Fishing Region: SE Queensland
Kayaks: Old Town Vapor 10 Angler, Mantra Noa, Viking Tempo and Eco Daintree

#22 Post by Leper » Mon Sep 06, 2010 11:39 pm

OMG T-curve that was an amazing post. Those bass were absolutely awesome! I actually am speechless and do not know what to write except take me there pleasssseee! :snic:
Brad

ImageImage

For other bass fishing adventures check out my blog at http://www.yakbassaustralia.com

T-curve
KFDU 1000 Club
Local Fishing Region: Midnorth coast

#23 Post by T-curve » Mon Sep 06, 2010 11:41 pm

Haha...glad you like it Brad..thanks mate. Ill be the first to admit im lucky living where i am. But now ive seemed to lose my report in some editing process ...hmmm. Bare with me !! lol
Cheers
Adrian

Tarpon 100

T-curve
KFDU 1000 Club
Local Fishing Region: Midnorth coast

#24 Post by T-curve » Mon Sep 06, 2010 11:58 pm

Got me buggered...now its ended up in the freshwater section. I did want it in both sections but seems its only allowing here or there. Al ? ...can you fix it mate when you see this ? :snic: Here is the link for now

http://www.kfdu.com.au/forum/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=12459
Cheers
Adrian

Tarpon 100

aus_bass
KFDU 500 Club
Local Fishing Region: Northern Rivers NSW and SE QLD
Kayaks: n/a

#25 Post by aus_bass » Tue Sep 07, 2010 1:51 am

Congrats to the winners and people who caught fish!
:bb:

I didnt get anything for my effort but looking fowrad to the next one.
aus_bass AKA James

2015 Papaya Hobie Quest 11 (x2)

Northern NSW Fishing
http://ausbass.blogspot.com/

Member of Northern NSW and Gold Coast/Northern Rivers Kayak Fishing Clubs

Feral
KFDU 2000 Club
Local Fishing Region: Caboolture

#26 Post by Feral » Tue Sep 07, 2010 4:57 am

There are a couple of nice bass there, but surprisingly few bass overall considering the numbers that fished, doesn't look like the impoundments saw much action either.

Is everyone keeping their powder dry for Wivanhoe! :bye:

dishley

#27 Post by dishley » Tue Sep 07, 2010 8:58 am

Feral wrote:There are a couple of nice bass there, but surprisingly few bass overall considering the numbers that fished, doesn't look like the impoundments saw much action either.

Is everyone keeping their powder dry for Wivanhoe! :bye:

Bit early in the season still Feral. The bass just weren't around where I fished. Another month and the results will look a lot different.

Leper
KFDU Site Manager
Local Fishing Region: SE Queensland
Kayaks: Old Town Vapor 10 Angler, Mantra Noa, Viking Tempo and Eco Daintree

#28 Post by Leper » Tue Sep 07, 2010 7:11 pm

Now as Enjoyfish1 is a slacka@#$e :snic: and thinks that I have written everything that needs to be written about our trip he hasn't posted anything so I will attempt to do a brief summary of his trip. He caught about 11 fish alternating between a sammy, feathercrank and a diver of some sort. I think it was a Jackall and because he hasn't posted anything I will make it up where I am not sure. I have a few of his photos so I will post those as well now and if he graces us with a trip report he can add a little detail.
IMG_0154 (Medium).jpg
P9010009 (Medium).jpg
P9010018 (Medium).jpg
P9010006 (Medium).jpg
IMG_0157 (Medium).jpg
Hopefully Enjoyfish1 can add some detail later!
Brad

ImageImage

For other bass fishing adventures check out my blog at http://www.yakbassaustralia.com

Jools
KFDU 500 Club
Local Fishing Region: Wherever my feet take me.

#29 Post by Jools » Tue Sep 07, 2010 8:37 pm

Gee some great looking pics and reports there guys and girls. :fg:

Well done to everyone who caught fish, and for those who didn't just
a nice day to be on the water.

Cheers Julie :smi:

dishley

#30 Post by dishley » Tue Sep 07, 2010 8:46 pm

Do those fish have access to saltwater Leper? They look like they're still ready to spawn.
Thanks for posting the pics

Return to “KFDU Social Fishing Competitions”