Social Flathead Challenge III (Results and Trip Reports)

If you like competing in a friendly, low pressure setting then this is a great place to check out our social competitions
Leper
KFDU Site Manager
Local Fishing Region: SE Queensland
Kayaks: Old Town Vapor 10 Angler, Mantra Noa, Viking Tempo and Eco Daintree

Social Flathead Challenge III (Results and Trip Reports)

#1 Post by Leper » Tue Jun 21, 2011 8:38 pm

Well it is with much embarassment that I get to post the Results table for the SFC III. I actually contemplated pulling myself out but Biggles encouraged me to put the results in. Congratulations to Narrajosh for catching the biggest flathead at 745mm and coming second and Dangerous Dave for his two 50cm + fish to nab him third.

It was a shame that a huge number of the field had to pull out due to the attrocious conditions (wind and rain) on the NSW coast. Quite a few of the crew from NSW braved the conditions in an attempt to track down some flathead to keep the competition alive so good on you for having a go, even when the likelihood of finding a fish was low.

So please post your trip reports here telling us about your day whether you managed to find the fish or not,

To give all those that were forced to pull out and those that fished horrible conditions to have a better flattie session I will hold another SFC in August. Thanks to all that participated and I hope you enjoyed yourselves!

Rank-----------------Name------------------STATE-------------------------Fish1---------------------Fish2---------------------Points
1---------------------Leper--------------------QLD---------------------------620mm...................600mm...................1220pts
2---------------------Narrajosh---------------NSW---------------------------745mm...................433mm...................1178pts
3---------------------Dangerous Dave--------NSW---------------------------572mm...................563mm...................1135pts
4---------------------hillbilly-------------------QLD---------------------------620mm...................445mm...................1065pts
5---------------------Jtran96------------------QLD---------------------------520mm...................450mm...................1010pts
6---------------------matman-----------------NSW---------------------------510mm...................500mm...................1010pts
7---------------------Mucca--------------------QLD---------------------------530mm...................463mm...................993pts
8---------------------kiwozi--------------------QLD---------------------------520mm...................465mm...................985pts
9---------------------Ray7---------------------QLD---------------------------480mm...................430mm...................910pts
10---------------------billp---------------------QLD---------------------------500mm...................380mm...................880pts
11---------------------warren63---------------QLD---------------------------480mm...................370mm...................850pts
12---------------------Estuary Girl-------------QLD---------------------------380mm...................370mm...................750pts
13---------------------Slim----------------------NSW--------------------------640mm...................0mm......................640pts
14---------------------Craig Mac---------------QLD---------------------------510mm...................0mm......................510pts
15---------------------rocketV------------------QLD--------------------------490mm...................0mm......................490pts
15---------------------Biggles-------------------QLD--------------------------490mm...................0mm......................490pts
16---------------------Durayaka----------------QLD--------------------------400mm...................0mm......................400pts
17---------------------silver19-------------------QLD-------------------------0mm......................0mm......................260pts
18---------------------nigel----------------------NSW-------------------------0mm......................0mm......................0pts
18---------------------nigel----------------------NSW-------------------------0mm......................0mm......................0pts
18---------------------Tarpon5000--------------NSW-------------------------0mm......................0mm......................0pts
18---------------------brez-----------------------NSW------------------------0mm......................0mm......................0pts
18---------------------Gazzaguru----------------NSW------------------------0mm......................0mm......................0pts
18---------------------Sicklids--------------------NSW------------------------0mm......................0mm......................0pts
18---------------------saltydude-----------------NSW------------------------0mm......................0mm......................0pts
18---------------------Nativeman----------------QLD------------------------0mm......................0mm......................0pts
18---------------------Sydo------------------------NSW----------------------0mm......................0mm......................0pts
18---------------------funpaddle------------------QLD-----------------------0mm......................0mm......................0pts
18---------------------nitefr8---------------------NSW-----------------------0mm......................0mm......................0pts
18---------------------Jen-------------------------QLD-----------------------0mm......................0mm......................0pts
18---------------------woodsy---------------------NSW----------------------0mm......................0mm......................0pts
18---------------------agz67-----------------------NSW----------------------0mm......................0mm......................0pts
18---------------------mojofunk-------------------QLD----------------------0mm......................0mm......................0pts
18---------------------waterbaby1972-------------NSW---------------------0mm......................0mm......................0pts
18---------------------AROBBO---------------------QLD----------------------0mm......................0mm......................0pts
18---------------------Sqiddly Diddly---------------QLD----------------------0mm......................0mm......................0pts
18---------------------ronaldo----------------------NSW---------------------0mm......................0mm......................0pts
18---------------------Surly-------------------------QLD----------------------0mm......................0mm......................0pts
18---------------------kaos-------------------------NSW----------------------0mm.......................0mm......................0pts
Brad

ImageImage

For other bass fishing adventures check out my blog at http://www.yakbassaustralia.com

Jen
KFDU 2000 Club
Local Fishing Region: Anywhere there are fish
Kayaks: Hobie Revo ll "Calamity Jen ll"

Re: SFC III (Results and Trip Reports)

#2 Post by Jen » Tue Jun 21, 2011 8:48 pm

well it only seems fitting that Leper should leap into the lead :snic: congratulations. and well done to all that managed to catch something

agz67
KFDU Angler
Local Fishing Region: lake macquarie
Kayaks: hobie outback, malibu mini x

#3 Post by agz67 » Tue Jun 21, 2011 8:58 pm

hey guys. fished my usual flatty spot in lake mac on sunday morning. 1st bit of decent weather in a while. rocked up to the spot to find the water very very brown. had a pretty shocking morning on the water with only 1 salmon landed. congrats to leper for winning and many thanks to him for organising the comp :ll:
yak pbs: bream 46cm, flathead 85cm, squire 37cm, whiting 42cm, bass 35cm

ronaldo
KFDU 500 Club
Local Fishing Region: coffs coast & beyond.....
Kayaks: WS Tarpon 120 - Mantra Noa - Hobie Revo 13

#4 Post by ronaldo » Tue Jun 21, 2011 9:16 pm

Good onya brad,
after all the organising and your "eventful" week ....I consider it a well deserved win......
and congratulations to all the other yakkers who got "on the board"
:bye:
Ron
YOU ONLY NEED TWO TOOLS IN LIFE - WD-40 AND DUCT TAPE.
IF IT DOESN'T MOVE AND SHOULD, USE THE WD-40. IF IT SHOULDN'T MOVE AND DOES, USE THE DUCT TAPE.

matman
KFDU 500 Club
Local Fishing Region: Illawarra/South Coast
Kayaks: Hobie Revolution

#5 Post by matman » Tue Jun 21, 2011 9:16 pm

Firstly, congratulations Leper! Great job organising the event amidst some pretty stressful circumstances, a deserving win that I don't think anyone will begrudge you mate.

Well, the alarm went off at 4:30am Sunday morning, but after a late night at a local fund raiser and a touch of Tonsillitis, the body didn’t want to move. After a few snoozes on the alarm (far too many actually), I made the hour drive south to the Basin, arriving without incident, setup and was on the water by.....8:30am....jeez I did sleep in, my latest start in 12 months!

Anyway, a quick Pedal to my first destination, armed with my favourite StrikePro blade. First cast, I’m on...only a small fish, but I’m on the board, no donut at least. Quick photo on the brag mat and it was sent on its way. They morning progressed slowly flathead wise, with mainly small fish, and not the ones I was hoping to catch, but a few fish at least. The flatties weren’t coming through as thick and fast as they should have been, and I constantly changed between blades (mainly StrikePro) and soft plastics (Berkeley 3” Minnow Grubs in Pumpkinseed and 2” Sand Worms in Camo). I slowly managed a few fish through the morning, and a couple of upgrades from the little specimens I had photographed earlier.

Some interesting bi-catch throughout the morning, consisting of whiting, a nice blackfish on a blade that went 36cm, and a Basin school bream 31cm fork length that decided to bury the spare treble deep into my thumb - thanks Mr Bream. Long story short, managed to push the treble right through, then cut it off and remove it – better than a trip to casualty.
STGB_HookedUp.jpg
By lunchtime, the two best lizards I had measured were still only little tackers at 43cm and 50cm, and plenty of small ones in between. I had hoped to head wide to the area I nailed the 84cm a couple of weeks back, but the forecast was still a little dodgey, and I didn’t want to be caught out on the far side of the Basin if the Westerly did blow up. I headed out a little wider to a deeper section, deployed the sea anchor again and began a long drift over some productive ground. About 6 casts in a small fish, then next cast a slightly better fish, and sadly proved to be the best fish I could manage for the day at 51cm.

Still a great day on the water, a real mixed bag as far as species go, and a 50 and 51cm lizards the best I could manage for the day.

Congrats to everyone who fished, whether you caught plenty or none, and special thanks to Brad for organising this SFC – well done.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"There are always greater fish than you have caught, always the lure of greater task and achievement, always the inspiration to seek, to endure, to find" - Zane Gray

warren63
KFDU Angler
Local Fishing Region: SEQ
Kayaks: A green one

#6 Post by warren63 » Tue Jun 21, 2011 9:23 pm

Well done to everyone !!! :ha:

AROBBO
2012 Freshwater Angler of the Year
Local Fishing Region: Hervey Bay
Kayaks: Viking Nemo Fish, Viking Espri Fish, Viking Profish 45

#7 Post by AROBBO » Tue Jun 21, 2011 9:41 pm

G'day,
Well what a shocker of a SCF!!! :mad1:
We got down to our spot around 6.30 am and it was freezing around 4 degrees, but the condition was awesome, no wind, glassed out and water crystal clear- actually too clear the fish could see the hooks on the lure, nothing was happening on the plastics so we moved into a deeper hole. First cast a caught a nice pike, and third cast i caught another pike, but we were after Flathead!!!. We went up the creek further and got onto some small GT i only managed to land one 36 cm GT but there was at least another 10 there willing to hit the lures, some of the GT swam with the fish i had caught. Towards the end of the day we headed back out the front and tried for some flathead, the water was that clear i saw one flathead around 60cm follow the lure back to the yak, it was just looking at the lure and nudged it, “Must have seen the hooks, because of the clear water” JUST EAT THE LURE!!!! well i didnt manage any flathead but did manage a small whiting, a 30cm bream, A 36cm GT and a few pike, it was a great day out on the water in perfect conditions.
Sometimes too perfect.
And those %$@@%* idiots in boats well what can i say but slow down!!!!! they were in a go slow zone BTW!!! :re: :mad1:

Cheers Aidan :bye:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Image Image

AROBBO
2012 Freshwater Angler of the Year
Local Fishing Region: Hervey Bay
Kayaks: Viking Nemo Fish, Viking Espri Fish, Viking Profish 45

#8 Post by AROBBO » Tue Jun 21, 2011 9:44 pm

few more pics. :bye:
Image Image

NarraJosh
2013 SFC Champion
Local Fishing Region: Central Coast
Kayaks: Emotion Advant-Edge SIK, Hobie PA 14

#9 Post by NarraJosh » Tue Jun 21, 2011 9:59 pm

Hey guys n gals,

Firstly congrats to Brad, awesome to fish in my first SFC. Thanks for all your hard work!

Woke Saturday to freezing cold and rain, perfect day for fishing....... Missus thought I was crazy but she still got up with me and dropped me to Bayview at 6:45. Dre and Nigel were already there setting up so after a quick chat we hit the water, peddled around towards McCarrs Creek and started flicking a Damiki Vault blade around, no love with the blade and there was heaps and heaps of brown slimey weed that was foulding the hooks in any water shallower than 3m... Figured the fish must be shallower so started flicking around a Berkley Havoc 3in double tail grub (from US, very similar to the old Mister Twister double tail).

Was having the same issue as before but was getting hits now, this was a great sign i thought. The water was so clear you could see the bottom and all of the patchy weed, drifted with the wind and noticed we were going over a patch of ribbon weed, cast back upwind and gave the lure a couple of sharp twitches and came up tight with my first fish of the day! After a short but spirited fight this guy was guided into the net...

Was a pain in the axx to get a good photo but ended up going 420mm. Right species and perfect eating size to boot. Despatched and placed in the yak, things were looking good!

Nige trying his luck.

Continued drifting the same patch and dropped another 2 fish by being overeager but was a positive sign. Setup for the next drift and cast my plastic back into the strikezone and felt a good tap after a few sharp jigs back towards yak. Struck hard and came up tight to a much better fish, I could feel it had a fair bit of weight but didn't do much initially. It realised it was hooked and screamed off out into deeper water, what followed was an epic fight lasting 10-15 mins, lots of big deep, line peeling runs but no characteristic headshakes indicating a flathead, I had it picked as my first jew from the yak. Nige had paddled over at this stage and was chuckling to himself and said how much nicer it would have been to have had heavier gear... Finally sighted the fish and realised it was a big flattie! You little ripper! After a few nervous moments, (it took nearly 5 minutes from sighting the fish, to getting her to the net) I had her yakside and netted. Much hooting and hollering was heard and i peddled in to shallow water to get a couple of happy snaps!

Notice the small Flattie in the background

She was beautiful and a new PB from the yak!!!! She went 745mm and was thick as. Nothing better than catching a big breeder like this and then having the privelege of watching her swim back to the depths.

Now, while I was frigging around trying to take an awesome underwater photo of the big girl i felt something tickling the top of my foot.... Looking down in amongst the silt and I saw, to my horror, a blue ringed octopus sitting on top of my foot.......

Luckily my yak was close and set for a quick re-entry, dont think I have ever gotten back into my yak so quick. A quick look around after I was back in and I noticed it close by, thinking I may have just been a bit of a skirt I gave it a prod with my paddle, lit up like a Christmas tree with electric blue rings. Bloody lucky it didn't bite! Wasn't keen on chasing after it to get a photo.... Change of undies required!

After all of this excitement I peddled back out to see how the boys were doing and we fished round towards Quays Marina. Things went a bit quiet while the tide was rising and only managed a couple more touches and another big flat lost yakside.... Oh well you can win em all!

Wind had come up a bit then and me and Nige decided to paddle back to see how Dre was doing. Paddling back towards the tennis courts and decided to try the same spot that produced before, first cast in the same spot and I was on again! Stupid me was dicking around with the net and managed to lose this yakside also. Another couple of casts and came up tight again, made sure of this one and guided to the net, another perfect size for eating and a small upgrade too!

Flathead 430mm

We called it after this and started heading back to the launch spot, chatting as we went. All in all was a fantastic day out and was a pleasure meeting some fellow yakkers and chewing the fat. I'll let the boys tell their own story!
Last edited by NarraJosh on Wed Jun 22, 2011 7:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PB's: Australian Salmon 620mmFL, Bass 470mm FL (Wild), Bass 430mm FL (Dam), Bream 435mm FL, Estuary Perch 445mm FL, Flathead 745mm, Mulloway 850mm, Murray Cod 715mm Redfin 200mm Tailor 520mmFL

hillbilly
KFDU 500 Club
Local Fishing Region: South East Queensland & Northern Rivers NSW

#10 Post by hillbilly » Tue Jun 21, 2011 10:05 pm

Thanks Brad for organising the comp. I fished last Monday and the weather was much better than earlier forecast. I opted for a short trip to the Coomera River due to my elderly mother being admitted to hospital that morning (She's okay now). I was on the water at 9.45 am and off by 12.15 and I covered very little water for six flathead so I was happy with that. No fancy gear just 12 lb mono on an old eggbeater and homemade rod. I used a Squidgey soft plastic with a reasonably heavily weighted jig head hoping to get bigger fish but even the little ones were still biting when I left. I was lucky enough to get one decent one (62 cm) out of the lot. Sorry that there are no fancy photos. Regards Bill

[attachmen]P1010017.JPG[/attachment]t=1]P1010022.JPG[/attachment][attachment=2
"Trust the research and educate rather than dictate."

Sicklids
KFDU 1000 Club
Local Fishing Region: Illawarra / Shoalhaven
Kayaks: - Viking Tempo - Australis 'Squid' - Hobie Pro Angler

#11 Post by Sicklids » Tue Jun 21, 2011 10:14 pm

Well it is good to see that some folks had reasonable sessions and congrats to all who did manage to get a session in.

Unfortunately Friday wasn't the best picks of days and I only managed a donought for the planning and effort :ts:

The story is a short one and goes like this.

I got up around the 4am mark aiming to be on the water and at my first chosen location in the Basin before first light.
Well that was the first mistake of the day [SHOULD HAVE STAYED IN BED]

After reaching location 1 there was a stiff breeze blowing from the South and the water was showing signs of our local White Caps [never a good sign on the basin] I tossed the damiki blades around for about half an hour but the wind was playing havoc with each and every cast :doubt:

I decided that if I was going to stand any chance of getting even a scale on the scoreboard, that I would have to move onto my emergency location and hope the wind would be a little more co-operative with the help of a bank to block some of it's force.......Mistake 2

I couldn't get to the location, for every forward stroke of the paddle, I moved back to where I was a couple of strokes prior :sad1:

By this stage I had decided that if I don't get a touch soon I would just have to conceed defeat to Mother Nature.
And so it was that mother nature had her way :ts:

I started paddling back towards Paradise beach only to be picked up by the wind and blown past paradise and well and truly on my way to Basin View.
Finally I did get to shore at Basin View and once I got out of the squid I sat down on the grass and tried to get my energy back after what would have to be the hardest paddle so far for me and the squid.

Oh well ya get that on the big days and maybe next time will be a better day for yours truly.

Once again a big congrats to all who did manage to get onto the score board :tong:

CHEERS :O-:
Andy
Water Rats Fishing Facebook
Mobile: 0432555952
Aust Reps International Kayak Wars 2013
Yak PBs:
- Dam Bass 42cm - Black Bream 37cm - Yellowfin Bream 43cm -
- Blackfish 35cm - Trevally 44cm - Whiting 40cm - River Bass 40cm
NEW PB - Flathead 87cm

kiwozi
KFDU Angler
Local Fishing Region: SEQ
Kayaks: hobie REVO

#12 Post by kiwozi » Tue Jun 21, 2011 10:22 pm

headed out last tuesday morning to a spot that I,ve being getting some nice lizards lately, at least 1 in the 70,s every time, but as always they never want to play when it counts, it was a pretty slow day & the wind was giving me hell, only had 1 fish by 9.30 & a wet axx,so pull up on sand bank & dried off, the second half of the day was pretty much the same,windy ,wet, managed two more fish ,then called it a day, the two best fish measured 52 & 46, one was caught on a squidgy fish golden eye colour drifting across a sand bank & the other come on a home made hardbody floro pink, pm me your address leper I,ll send you a couple to try, & thanks for all your effort putting this together , can,t wait for the next one,,,,,,jayson

Tarpon5000
KFDU 500 Club
Local Fishing Region: Everywhere
Kayaks: Aspire 100 , PA14 .

#13 Post by Tarpon5000 » Tue Jun 21, 2011 10:34 pm

congrats leper and my fishing buddy narrajosh and all those who caught flatties, as josh mentioned it was a cold wet morning but as keen as to get out there.
i was using sp's all day from damiki shads to gulp grubtails and so many others i lost count . I managed to get a few little pinkies after about 2 hour of flicken, and then josh got his ripper and what a fight it was, it was crazy he was yellin and cheerin esp at one stage when he saw what he had exactly before it made another run for the deep .
At one stage i flicked out my shad damiki and after a few lifts i could feel a few bites then it went solid i felt the tail shake a little and knew it was a flattie it just sat there with my sp in its month for ages , but after a strike and a little run it spat my lure "bugger me".. i knew that would be my last chance of the day . was so disappionted nigel and josh can tell you guys , i was pretty colorful in my language ... :beat: :beat: :beat:

thank again leper for organising such a fun event , cant wait for next time :ha: :ha: :ha:

dre
Yak pb's : Bream 48cm, Wild Bass 438mm F , EP 500mm F , Kingfish 80cm, Flathead 85cm, Jewie 80cm ,Salmon 70cm Bronze Whaler 1.5m, Bonito 46cm, Watson Bonito 47cm, Tailor 57cm ,Pinkie 40cm,Trevor 55cm,Golden Perch 52cm, Whiting 50cm.

arpie
2011 Saltwater Angler of the Year
Local Fishing Region: mid north coast
Kayaks: Hobie Sport, Perception Minnow

#14 Post by arpie » Tue Jun 21, 2011 11:08 pm

BIG Congrats Brad on a superb win! Close call, with NarraJosh snapping at your heels!! Nice 'big fish' Josh!

Well done to everyone that actually managed to get out & catch a fish (let alone a bunch of them!) Given the weather on the east coast - just being able to get out was a bonus!! I think us 'mid to north coasters' copped the worst of the weather! Normally, the dirty weather skirts Forster, but not this time! :ts:

I actually contacted Brad & 'bailed' from the comp towards the end of last week, as the weather here was so atrocious - we had about 7" of rain & almost cyclonic winds all week - so it just wasn't going to happen for me here at Forster! We had to go to Sydney for the weekend, so I managed to sneak the yak into the camper (after twisting Keith's arm just a bit ....) and managed to get a few hours 'off duty' from looking after my 93 yr old mother, to sneak out on to the water at Roseville Bridge on Saturday morning - first ever visit there - with Mikey! It was my first outing with him ever - he tried my Sport at the Entrance a few months ago - and was so impressed, he'd gone out & bought his own! :ha:

It was a gorgeous day, after a horrible week, so just glad to see the sun again & being able to get outside, to be honest, after being housebound all week! Shame I couldn't catch a proper fish tho! Only managed a few chopper tailor!
P6180011.jpg
Mike managed to catch a just legal flattie
P6180012.jpg
Mike loves his Sport - it is still squeaky clean!
P6180009.jpg
Who knows what this structure is, above the Frenchs Forrest end of the bridge? Looks like something was built there, but now boarded up, sort of!
P6180017.jpg
So, altho fishless, it was a fun morning on the water & I was really pleased to get my feet wet again after about a month off the water!

cheers for now

Roberta
(Mark's) Prostaff Member: Ten20 Rods

Adventure before Dementia

Perception Minnow - "Squidgies" Hobie Sport - "Fisharoo"

Dangerous Dave
KFDU Angler
Local Fishing Region: Far South Coast NSW
Kayaks: Native Slayer Propel 13 (Lizard Lick )

#15 Post by Dangerous Dave » Tue Jun 21, 2011 11:53 pm

No need for the embarrassment Brad, the best man won on the day. Congratulations to Leper and Narrajosh for catching some seriously nice fish.

Well my day went like this... I awoke to a glorious morning, the sun was shining and the birds were singing and I thought I had nailed it and was glad I waited for the second weekend to fish.
After some tactics and planning with Sakas in the weeks prior it was decided to fish a shallow lake that may hold a little warmth and hopefully a few nice fish. Unfortunately he had to retire hurt before the first cast was fired.
Sakas with a nice fish a few weeks ago:
flatty.jpg
Had to do a few hours at work first and unfortunately by midday, the sun was gone and the birds were hiding. The clouds had started to roll in and the wind had picked with gusts to 60kmh...

Outstanding...

Sticking to the edges to keep away from the wind after nearly being honestly blown out of my kayak just after arriving ( got caught broadside and my net acted like a sail and in I nearly went) I picked up a nice 36cm bream on a Strikepro Pygmy , not the fish I was after, but a fish non the less. The poor bugger had been in the wars and had a big chunk missing from his tail so I put him back to fight another day.
SFC4.jpg
As the day went on the drizzly rain had stopped and the wind abated a little and a few fish started rising, by now I had given up trolling the small lures started to cast sp's into the shallow edges after finding a few flatty lies in the mud. Just going through the motions and receiving only one small tap bought me to the realisation that I would probably be going home with a big fat zero for my efforts. I started to think that a flathead is not going to waste a lot of energy on small offerings in this weather so a rustle through the tacklebox saw 2 Strikepro BassX lures tied to the business end. Would not have trolled 100 metres with lures that dive to 8 ft in 5 - 6ft of water when the bream rod goes off and my first lizard for the day is brought to the boat, a nice fish of 572mm.
SFC5.jpg
Did he want that lure... you bet he did.
SFC6.jpg
Happy that I am now on the board I started to paddle back to the car continuing with trolling the Bass X lures. With only about 100 metres to go the second rod bends to a nice fish and my second flatty for the day slides into the net. This was one unhappy fish that was doing everything in its power to return to the water so it needed restraining just so I could get to shore to photograph it.

The two fish posing for the camera:
SFC3.jpg
Thanks for organizing a great event Brad, I look forward to the next one.

Dave.

Return to “KFDU Social Fishing Competitions”