Social Flathead Challenge VI (Results and Trip Reports)

If you like competing in a friendly, low pressure setting then this is a great place to check out our social competitions
Leper
KFDU Site Manager
Local Fishing Region: SE Queensland
Kayaks: Old Town Vapor 10 Angler, Mantra Noa, Viking Tempo and Eco Daintree

Social Flathead Challenge VI (Results and Trip Reports)

#1 Post by Leper » Tue Jul 09, 2013 9:13 pm

Well this SFC would have to have been the toughest so far with the weather reeking havoc along the east coast and rain and wind plaguing the competition. There were 21 donuts and another 21 competitors who did not manage to nominate a fishing day. The size of flathead were also much lower than in other comps which was a testament to the tough conditions.

A big congratulations to Narrajosh who was the only competitor to hit a point score of over 1000 (Just!) and took out the comp just from kmn1947 and worksux. T.J has been a sensational bloke and has created this wonderful engraved beer stein as a trophy and Harris who created a couple of personalised lures as prizes for the SFC.

So here is the prize package created by T.J

..and here are the two lures made by Harris who does some amazing work with his Nobroko home-made resin lures.
image2 (800x598).jpg
image (800x598).jpg
image.jpg
A big big thanks to both these guys for their selfless support of this comp! Josh just send your details to these blokes to claim your prizes! :grin:

Now its time to hear about all your trips and how you went. Tell us what you did whether you caught a flathead, caught everything but flathead, didn't catch a fish or why you just couldn't get out and amongst it!

Cheers everyone and look forward to the next one!

Rank-----------------Name------------------STATE-------------------------Fish1---------------------Fish2---------------------Points
1---------------------Narrajosh-----------------NSW---------------------------500mm...................500mm...................1000pts
2---------------------kmn1947------------------QLD---------------------------490mm...................480mm...................970pts
3---------------------Viper83--------------------QLD---------------------------490mm...................460mm...................950pts
4---------------------worksux-------------------NSW---------------------------500mm...................450mm...................950pts
5---------------------rocketv--------------------QLD---------------------------480mm...................460mm...................940pts
6---------------------Leper----------------------QLD---------------------------380mm...................370mm...................750pts
7---------------------jarrayda-------------------NSW---------------------------380mm...................360mm...................740pts
8---------------------yaktricity------------------NSW---------------------------380mm...................350mm...................730pts
9---------------------Alveytait-------------------QLD---------------------------510mm.......................0mm...................510pts
10--------------------Viperoz--------------------QLD---------------------------400mm.......................0mm….................400pts
11--------------------ronaldo--------------------NSW--------------------------355mm.......................0mm....................355pts
12--------------------Chris2pha-----------------QLD---------------------------350mm........................0mm….................350pts
13---------------------Hillbilly-------------------QLD--------------------------303mm.........................0mm...................303pts
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Brad

ImageImage

For other bass fishing adventures check out my blog at http://www.yakbassaustralia.com

moikel
KFDU Angler
Local Fishing Region: Greenwell Point
Kayaks: Malibu Stealth 12 emotion stealth angler 10. Old Town Loon

Re: Social Flathead Challenge VI Results and Trip Reports

#2 Post by moikel » Tue Jul 09, 2013 9:30 pm

Congratulations to Narrajosh on his win,2 good fish in bad patch of weather. Nice prizes :love:

worksux
KFDU Pro Staff MODERATOR
Local Fishing Region: North of Coffs, Corndi Beach

#3 Post by worksux » Tue Jul 09, 2013 9:41 pm

Well done Narrajosh, congratulations.

I went to Yamba planning on hitting the mud flats early but got side tracked playing with small soapie jew and bream hanging around a bridge.
After a couple of hours wasted, but was fun :grin: , I hit the flats chasing lizards.
It was fishing really well, plenty of flathead but not much size was found.

I was useing Zman curly tails and Dan Macgrath Attack hard bodys with both plastic and HB's working equally as good as each other.
I think the hardest thing about this comp (my 1st one) was trying to hold a fish on the brag mat and get a good pic whilst on the water.
I lost the first one over board trying to get it to stay still :roll: :roll: , so after that I paddled to the bank for the pics.
I ended up with lots of pics like the first one below, they always go nuts just as you take the pic. :lol:
Stay Still Ya Bugger.jpg
Flathead 1.jpg
Flathead 2.jpg
Here is a vid of the mixed bag of fishing for the day.
Thanks Leper for taking the time to organise this comp, I look forward to the next one.

And good onya Harris and TJ for making some awesome prizes for the winner.
Well done Alveytait for the biggest fish of the comp, pity you didnt find a second one.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by worksux on Tue Jul 09, 2013 10:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Give a man a fish and he has food for a day.
Teach a man to fish............
Then he has to buy lures, braid, leader, knife, braid cutters, landing net, lip grips, fishing hat, 10 pocket pfd, graphite reel, insulated fish bag, gps, fish finder, kayak, trolley, paddle, carbon fiber rods, gaff, rod leash, paddle leash, sinkers, hooks swivels, wire trace........................

Yaktricity
2014 Saltwater Angler of the Year
Local Fishing Region: Shoalhaven
Kayaks: Hobie PA12, Quest 11 and Australis Bass

#4 Post by Yaktricity » Tue Jul 09, 2013 10:08 pm

Congratulations to Narrajosh on a fine win!

Thanks to Leper for organising and running the comp, and the prize package looks awesome so thanks to T.J and Harris too.

Well I hit the basin on June 22nd, just before the East Coast low hit us. Weather was overcast with the occasional shower but at least the wind wasn't up.

Soon had a decent fish on the line, but was thinking Squire more than flatty which turned out to be the case;
Snap1 45CM.JPG
Well this turned out to be the theme of the for the next hour or so, some nice Squire but not a flatty to be found;
Snap2 35CM.JPG
Snap3 40CM.JPG
Snap4 44CM.JPG
Was thinking it was going to be a flatty doughnut, then a rainbow came out, would there be a flatty pot of gold :lol: ?? Thought I would head over in its direction and see what was about;
Rainbow.JPG
Well it was no croc fest but at least I managed to get a couple of flatties on the board :grin:
Yaktricity 35CM.JPG
Yaktricity 38CM.JPG
Kept fishing for about another hour or so hoping for an upgrade, pulled a nice bream which was one of the fattest basin bream I have caught;
39CM Bream.JPG
That was enough for me, whilst no monster basin flatties decided to play had a great day out on the water and was lucky enough to get onto a few good fish, with 2 of the squire coming home for dinner.

All of the fish were caught on a Gulp 4" swimming mullet in the pearl white, on a 1/6oz 1/0 TT headlockz jighead. No other SP or HB got a touch on the day.

Already looking forward to Social Flathead Challenge VII :grin:
Last edited by Yaktricity on Tue Jul 09, 2013 10:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cheers,

Shane

Yak PB's
Bream 43cm Flathead 91cm Snapper 68cm Tailor 49cm Whiting 39cm Luderick 36cm EP 37cm FL Bass 53cm FL

"There is only one reason in the world to go fishing: to enjoy yourself. Anything that detracts from enjoying yourself is to be avoided."

rocketV
2012 SFC Champion
Local Fishing Region: Brisbane
Kayaks: Hobie Revo 11, Malibu Sierra 10, Pacer

#5 Post by rocketV » Tue Jul 09, 2013 10:09 pm

Congratulations to the new champion!!!! The results certainly reflect how hard it was to find the big girls :oops:
I fished hard for 8 hours in an attempt to retain my title from last year.
To say that action was slow is a bit like saying that Shimano Stellas are a touch pricey :roll:
Over the entire 8 hours (7.00am - 3.00pm) I only caught 4 Flatties and one teeny tiny bream.
Of the 4 flatties that I landed, two were caught between 10.00-10.30 and two were caught from 2.30-3.00.
There was a whole lot of nothing happening in between. :?:
This is despite casting SPs and Blades and trolling hardbodies all over the place.
I used all the tricks I know and tried a few new things too, but they just were not playing the game.
The two fish I caught at the death were very welcome, both allowing upgrades, and both taken in an unorthodox manner.
Typically when I troll for flatties I troll slowly with the current.
As I understand it, this is widely accepted as the normal practice, as the flatties lie nose into the current waiting in ambush for food to get flushed past them.
These two fish hit lures trolled at highish speed into the current.
I was actually less than 100m from the ramp when I decided I'd had enough casting and disgusted in my meager total, I threw out my Halco Combat (more for fun than anything) and powered back to the ramp.
I actually laughed when I got a hit it was so unexpected :glad:
A small upgrade came aboard and while taking pics I drifted further away from the ramp.
So I repeated the process and bugger me, another one jumped on! It turned out to be the biggest of the day and gave me a respectable but not impressive tally.
flatty resize kfdu 2013.JPG
KFDU SFCVI rocket 46cm.JPG
KFDU SFCVI rocket 48cm.JPG
Just goes to prove, fish now nothing about fishing. :grr:
Thanks to Brad for his efforts and the generous prize donors :grin:
Fresh is best, but I don't mind some salt every now and then!

For the fresh: Mailbu Sierra 10 & Koastal Pacer
For the Salt: Hobie Revo - 11

NarraJosh
2013 SFC Champion
Local Fishing Region: Central Coast
Kayaks: Emotion Advant-Edge SIK, Hobie PA 14

#6 Post by NarraJosh » Tue Jul 09, 2013 11:39 pm

Gday fisho's and fishettes,

How awesome is that result, I think I was exceptionally lucky with the weather for my day and also the amount of flathead about! Huge thanks to Brad for putting in heaps of time to sort out UFN's etc, maybe someone needs to take the reigns next time to see if we can break the weather hoodoo lol. Thanks heaps to T.J. and Harris too, some awesome looking prizes which will definitely be put to good use! So on to the report.

The choice of days for me came down to my standard Saturday session happening to be on the best weather day for 2 weeks, low winds forecast until midday and perfect tide being high as the sun rose. As you can see from the pics, I think I picked the right day :gu:

I have been fishing for flathead for a considerable amount of years, cutting my teeth so to speak chasing them in Narrabeen Lake on the Northern Beaches in Sydney. I am by no means the best flathead fisho around but I will share what I look for when targeting them in the hope that it puts you all on to some fish.

In my experience, tides have not affected my catch rate in a traditional sense, they do however determine the areas I target. I find that on a rising tide the flathead will become more active in the shallow flats areas, moving up to harass bait fish and prawns whereas on a falling tide they will retreat to the drop-offs where food will be flushed to them. A very important part of selecting fishing spots is the presence of this food, generally speaking if I am targeting flathead (or any estuary species for that matter) I look for structure, in shallow water this generally takes the form of ribbon weed or oyster racks, both provide cover to baitfish and prawns which in turn attract the larger predatory fish such as flathead. In most instances these structures are also bordered by drop-offs into deeper water providing several options depending on the tide.

Kayaks are ideal for this type of fishing, they give the element of stealth and also the ability to cover large areas in search of fish. They also protect you from stepping on these fella's...
This guy came up and hung under my yak for a good 10 minutes and was very interested in my plastic!

I wasn't paying a great deal of attention when I had my first hit, too busy watching my mate the stingray... I had anchored up on the edge of a fast moving channel, bordered on one side by a sandy island with extensive ribbon weed beds and the other waterfront properties. The current really rips through this area and it is a major thoroughfare for any fish and bait to access the deeper sections of the estuary and canals. My lure of choice to start the day was the Gulp Turtleback Worm in green and this lure didn't end up coming off all day :wink:

A typical smaller specimen taken on the Gulp and first of the SFC!

The outfit I use for flathead is exactly the same as I target bass, A 6'10" G Loomis DSR820s 4-8lb matched with a Shimano Rarenium spooled with 10lb PowerPro braid and 12lb AbrazX Fluorocarbon. I employ a rod length worth of leader attached to the mainline by way of an improved slim beauty, with 10lb line I do 8 wraps up and 9 wraps down but its personal choice and dependant on the line size and diameter, I am yet to have one of these knots fail compared with the standard slim beauty which I found slipped often. A video is here:

To rig my plastic to the leader I have started using a loop knot, this is only something new I have started to trial and so far have had great success. The additional movement afforded by the loop helps give the plastics a better action in my opinion, I personally use a Lefty's loop or a variation of. Jig head choice comes down to current flow and depth but it should be noted I rarely use anything heavier than 1/8oz. This really does come down to where you are fishing, you want enough weight to get it down and still look natural on the drop, you're retrieve style will also have a bearing on which weight you choose, in shallow water less than 2m I regularly fish typically "bream" weight jig heads ranging from 1/40-1/12oz. Choosing the size of hook comes down to the plastic of choice, e.g. for a Gulp Shrimp 2.5" I will generally use a #1 or 1/0, whereas a Gulp 2" grub needs a #2. Don't be scared of using smaller hooks if they suit the lure you are using, just use your judgement, the more movement in the pastic the better, test it out in the water next to the yak to make sure it looks natural before belting out a cast. One last thing on rigging your plastics, make sure they are rigged straight! The action of the lure is in 95% of cases dependent on how well you rig it, take your time and if it doesn't look right, do it again. One thing I have learnt is that if not straight and natural looking your catch rate definitely decreases.

After a couple more in the 40-43cm size range I decided to try a brand new spot, luckily around my place there are huge expanses of ribbon weed with nice deep currents running alongside them. The are I chose does not get any boat traffic, its sort of a cul-de-sac that shallows out at one end where the current bends and follows the land around, perfect for the yak!
A little bit on my retrieves before some more fish photos lol, I fish long casts very slow, ensuring that I maintain regular contact with the bottom. The standard flathead retrieve is to give the rod a sharp vertical lift before winding the slack in and letting the lure flutter back to the bottom before pausing and repeating, this definitely bags fish but it can pay to mix the retrieve up every now and then to see if the fish are biting on a different retrieve. Sharp shakes on the lift or multiple jerks on the lift can be very effective, the slow roll is often effective if you can keep the lure in the bottom foot of the water column also. The fish on my chosen day were liking the standard lift and drop with long pauses and multiple jerks with long pauses. They will generally hit on the drop and you will feel the initial bump followed by weight on the line, this is the time to strike and most fish will be hooked in the corner of the mouth. I have found that if you let them sit on it for a while you will gill or gut hook them reducing chance of survival and increasing the chance of them biting you off.

The new spot paid dividends immediately with fish in the 48-50cm size range :gu:

When the planets align and you find them in the mood it can be truly champagne fishing, it got to the stage where I was wishing I could get through the 50cm fish to find larger ones.... Be careful what you wish for Josh; I had just released another nice fish and the following cast felt the bump and weight on the line, striking it felt like I had snagged up but knowing the bump was a fish I waited, a couple of seconds later the snag started to move in the opposite direction of the current flow and the next five minutes was deep powerful runs followed by me regaining line only to have it stripped again. I got the fish under the yak and slowly worked it to the surface, I caught a glimpse of it and it was clearly huge, I estimate in the 90's! Unfortunately it was not to be and with one last headshake we parted ways :cry: Its a catch 22 situation, upsize your leader and get less bites or run the gauntlet and hope you hook them in the mouth.

Fearing that my chances at winning the SFC were now gone I persisted to try and upgrade, it was not to be, however the session I had was amazing, I landed close to 20 flathead in the 40-50cm size range and self released a handful more yak side. The areas I fished were all around ribbon weed beds and marker poles, water depth ranged from 0-4m but the majority of fish came from <2m, this is a common theme across all of my flathead fishing however this could also be the reason I do not regularly catch the big girls... Finally I will share some more photos of the fish to show you why we call them crocs.

I am blessed to have a missus and son that love to eat flathead and as such I get free passes most weekends, I make up for the bass fishing in open season by bringing home a feed in winter lol. I do not take a great deal for the table, generally 3 fish is sufficient for a dinner and lunch for the boss and most sessions I will release twice as many as I keep. Filleting them and skinning is really very easy once you have the hang of it, I learnt from YouTube :wink:

Hope this has made some sense and you get some benefit from this, in the future I will take more photos to aid in my descriptions. If you are ever on the Central Coast and want to catch up for a fish shoot me a PM! Cant wait to put the beer mug and cooler to use :lol:

Tight lines all.

Josh
PB's: Australian Salmon 620mmFL, Bass 470mm FL (Wild), Bass 430mm FL (Dam), Bream 435mm FL, Estuary Perch 445mm FL, Flathead 745mm, Mulloway 850mm, Murray Cod 715mm Redfin 200mm Tailor 520mmFL

enjoylife
KFDU 500 Club
Local Fishing Region: coffs harbour
Kayaks: prowler 13.5 ,adventure island,safari

#7 Post by enjoylife » Wed Jul 10, 2013 5:44 am

great effort Brad to put that together,
and well done josh on the fish and a great report
i spent a few hours at urunga & never had a touch but thats fishing
hopefully i can do better next time
cheers, dennis :smi:

rocketV
2012 SFC Champion

#8 Post by rocketV » Wed Jul 10, 2013 8:19 am

What a great report Josh, very good read and some great tips too. Thanks for sharing. :cool:

knm1947
KFDU Angler
Local Fishing Region: Maryborough
Kayaks: Viking Nemo

#9 Post by knm1947 » Wed Jul 10, 2013 8:44 am

Congratulations Narrajosh on your win & thanks Brad for organising the event. Would loved to have seen that 90cm lizard.

Having the luxury of being able to fish any day during the comp it was still difficult to find the perfect day & I had to change my first day due to the weather. Couldn't fish my preferred spot as it was very windy so launched from the boat ramp, paddled to a sheltered spot in the mangroves straight across from the ramp & backed into a small gutter. Second cast I got a nice bream then a 37cm flathead.
As the tide was dropping I decided to venture out of my protected spot & paddle over to where I really wanted to fish. I trolled SP's & HB's on my way over & while there but after half an hour & no hits I went back to the ramp for lunch. Hard paddle into the wind.
After lunch & convincing a fellow at the ramp of the attributes of kayak fishing I went back to where I had started fishing in the morning & was rewarded with two flathead 48 & 49cm & a cod. Didn't need many chips to go with the fish for dinner.
After a lot of paddling all the fish were caught within 50m of the boat ramp & within a 30 m section of mangrove lined bank on a z-man soft plastic in motor oil colour, & it was all fun.

hillbilly
KFDU 500 Club
Local Fishing Region: South East Queensland & Northern Rivers NSW

#10 Post by hillbilly » Wed Jul 10, 2013 8:56 am

Very, very tough day at the office. I tried two different spots, one in the morning and the other in the afternoon so it wasn't for lack of trying. I can't even blame the weather. Thanks for organising the comp Brad. Regards Bill
Flathead 303mm.JPG
"Trust the research and educate rather than dictate."

knm1947
KFDU Angler
Local Fishing Region: Maryborough
Kayaks: Viking Nemo

#11 Post by knm1947 » Wed Jul 10, 2013 9:54 am

Notice Qld 8 NSW 5 on the board. Is this an omen for the final State of Origin next week? :wink: :snic:

rocketV
2012 SFC Champion

#12 Post by rocketV » Wed Jul 10, 2013 11:28 am

hillbilly wrote:Very, very tough day at the office. I tried two different spots, one in the morning and the other in the afternoon so it wasn't for lack of trying. I can't even blame the weather. Thanks for organising the comp Brad. Regards Bill
Flathead 303mm.JPG
Hello Mr Bill from the Hills....I like your fish measure device. Is it a mass made shop bought one or home made?
Love to hear more about it. As mentioned in an earlier post by one of the other anglers, getting a fish to sit still for a photo in a yak can be a challenge! :wink:

hillbilly
KFDU 500 Club
Local Fishing Region: South East Queensland & Northern Rivers NSW

#13 Post by hillbilly » Wed Jul 10, 2013 1:40 pm

rocketV wrote:Hello Mr Bill from the Hills....I like your fish measure device. Is it a mass made shop bought one or home made?
No it's just the usual homemade PVC type with a few modifications over time to suit my needs. It sits across the kayak width when measuring and I can keep it firm and adjust the angle using my foot in the white rope loop. Regards Bill
Measuring Device.JPG
"Trust the research and educate rather than dictate."

rocketV
2012 SFC Champion

#14 Post by rocketV » Wed Jul 10, 2013 3:42 pm

Thanks Bill, it does a good job for you.
Where on the yak do you keep it when it's not in use?
How did you get the shape? Did it start it's life as a round tube of PVC or a Square? I've seen similar but not the same design.
Tips on the process would be much appreciated as mine is a work in progress.

Alveytait
KFDU Angler
Local Fishing Region: SE Qld
Kayaks: Hobie Outback

#15 Post by Alveytait » Wed Jul 10, 2013 5:50 pm

Congratulations Narrajosh well done on the win and also cracking the 1000. Big thanks to Leper for organising this comp and to TJ and Harris great effort for making the prize packs :grin:

Well my day started off at a 8am and I was greeted to slightly overcast yet glassy conditions at Diamond Head.
IMG_3043.jpg
I headed up the river with the idea of a troll back with the falling tide. Well my plan work and within the first hour I collected my first of many lizards for the day (or so I thought) A 51cm was netted and I thought you beauty I've got all day now to catch a second and hopefully look at upgrades.
IMG_3048.jpgsmall.jpg
photo.JPG3.jpgsmall.jpg
Well I fished and I fished
photo.JPG1.jpgsmall.jpg
And I fished some more
photo.JPG4.jpgsmall.jpg
No luck! I was running low on moral so I looked to the locals for support
IMG_3046.jpg
photo.JPG2.jpgsmall.jpg
It wasnt to be in the end :cry: I put my tail between my legs and about 5 o clock head back to the ramp. I even peppered around the ramp a few times on the slim chance I could nab my second... BUM BOW!!

Had a great day anyhow and a cracker on the water, well done to all those who competed and spec for those in NSW with the bad weather you guys have copped.

Tight Lines,

Andy
I'm off to catch the one that got away luv!!

Yak PB's: Flathead 71cm, Bream 30cm, Whiting 42cm, Luderick 35cm, Cod 34cm
Koolie Minnow Victims: Flathead, Cod, Stingray, Luderick, Whiting, Bream, Toad Fish, Pike

Return to “KFDU Social Fishing Competitions”