Social Flathead Challenge VI (Results and Trip Reports)

If you like competing in a friendly, low pressure setting then this is a great place to check out our social competitions
worksux
KFDU Pro Staff MODERATOR
Local Fishing Region: North of Coffs, Corndi Beach

Re: Social Flathead Challenge VI Results and Trip Reports

#16 Post by worksux » Wed Jul 10, 2013 6:35 pm

Hey Andy, good report, what lure is that hanging out of the lizards mouth?
Give a man a fish and he has food for a day.
Teach a man to fish............
Then he has to buy lures, braid, leader, knife, braid cutters, landing net, lip grips, fishing hat, 10 pocket pfd, graphite reel, insulated fish bag, gps, fish finder, kayak, trolley, paddle, carbon fiber rods, gaff, rod leash, paddle leash, sinkers, hooks swivels, wire trace........................

Alveytait
KFDU Angler
Local Fishing Region: SE Qld
Kayaks: Hobie Outback

#17 Post by Alveytait » Wed Jul 10, 2013 7:16 pm

worksux wrote:Hey Andy, good report, what lure is that hanging out of the lizards mouth?
Hey Mate, its a Zerek live shrimp lure. They are great as the mid sized ones are weekless and very tough. I think BCF still has them on sale for 3 for $25. Have caught snapper on them also :grin:
I'm off to catch the one that got away luv!!

Yak PB's: Flathead 71cm, Bream 30cm, Whiting 42cm, Luderick 35cm, Cod 34cm
Koolie Minnow Victims: Flathead, Cod, Stingray, Luderick, Whiting, Bream, Toad Fish, Pike

Alveytait
KFDU Angler
Local Fishing Region: SE Qld
Kayaks: Hobie Outback

#18 Post by Alveytait » Wed Jul 10, 2013 7:17 pm

Alveytait wrote:
worksux wrote:Hey Andy, good report, what lure is that hanging out of the lizards mouth?
Hey Mate, its a Zerek live shrimp lure. They are great as the mid sized ones are weekless and very tough. I think BCF still has them on sale for 3 for $25. Have caught snapper on them also :grin:
Sorry meant Weedless...
I'm off to catch the one that got away luv!!

Yak PB's: Flathead 71cm, Bream 30cm, Whiting 42cm, Luderick 35cm, Cod 34cm
Koolie Minnow Victims: Flathead, Cod, Stingray, Luderick, Whiting, Bream, Toad Fish, Pike

worksux
KFDU Pro Staff MODERATOR

#19 Post by worksux » Wed Jul 10, 2013 7:51 pm

Cheers mate, I will have to give them ago. The weedless ones that is,,,,Im not sure about the weekless ones. :wink:
Thanks.
Then he has to buy lures, braid, leader, knife, braid cutters, landing net, lip grips, fishing hat, 10 pocket pfd, graphite reel, insulated fish bag, gps, fish finder, kayak, trolley, paddle, carbon fiber rods, gaff, rod leash, paddle leash, sinkers, hooks swivels, wire trace........................

Viperoz
KFDU Angler
Local Fishing Region: Toowoomba
Kayaks: Feelfree Moken 14, Viking esprit fisherman (gone Viking Tempo)

#20 Post by Viperoz » Wed Jul 10, 2013 8:15 pm

Congratulations Narrajosh on your win and a big thanks Brad for organizing the event.
Well it started out as a windy wet day, but due to my chances to fish lately I wasn't going to let that stop my. Started the day in the Bribie Island
passage at about 07:30 not long after I started to paddle the weather looked like this;
2013-06-29 08.49.52.jpg
Lots of casting hours spent searching in terrible weather for those elusive lizards. Finally hooked up on one Mid afternoon.
2013-06-29 13.46.171.jpg
Not from lack of bite's they like the plastics just seemed more interested in the tail than the bit with the hook in it. Researching stinger hooks on plastics now. The weather became particularly bad after the fish and I had about an hour and a half of paddling into the wind to get back to the bar. The tide turned just before I was back to the boat ramp, wind one way tide the other makes for big waves across the channel apparently. So much fun though nose diving through the waves me laughing hysterically. A great day just not as many fish as I would have liked.

Raymond
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Raymond

Moken 14
Yak PB Fish: Bass 48cm, Yellow Belly 45cm, Flathead 52cm

Mac
KFDU 1000 Club
Local Fishing Region: east coast
Kayaks: Fisha 460

#21 Post by Mac » Wed Jul 10, 2013 8:32 pm

congrats Josh and all who caught flatties,,,,,that's a hot sesh Josh.

i fished Sunday 7th,couldn't land a flattie,only managed 2 choppers.

froze my a$$ off...thanks Brad for organising another top event
cheers Rob

ronaldo
KFDU 500 Club
Local Fishing Region: coffs coast & beyond.....
Kayaks: WS Tarpon 120 - Mantra Noa - Hobie Revo 13

#22 Post by ronaldo » Wed Jul 10, 2013 9:21 pm

Great effort there Josh...top haul of flatties..congratulations
Thanks Brad for putting in the effort to organise and coordinate...

After 3 attempts at the challenge I finally made the scoreboard :glad:

It was a hard day, fished for about 7 hours using SPs blades and HBs ....for 2 catches...the flatty and a porcupine that was bigger than my flatty :grr:
Mine took a Damiki 3" shad in skin blue...

I fish all day with getayak and a couple of hours with enjoylife...it's a rare day that I outdo them. :lek:
flatty challenge 5 7 13.JPG
:bye:
Ron
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
YOU ONLY NEED TWO TOOLS IN LIFE - WD-40 AND DUCT TAPE.
IF IT DOESN'T MOVE AND SHOULD, USE THE WD-40. IF IT SHOULDN'T MOVE AND DOES, USE THE DUCT TAPE.

Biggles
KFDU Site Manager
Local Fishing Region: SE Queensland
Kayaks: Hobie Quest 11, Hobie Pro Angler 12

#23 Post by Biggles » Wed Jul 10, 2013 9:38 pm

Narrajosh has a new title woot woot well done fella :cool:

As always many thanks to Brad, TJ and all the competitors. Sorry about the East Coast Low that came in over that bad weekend :gu:

Al

Leper
KFDU Site Manager
Kayaks: Old Town Vapor 10 Angler, Mantra Noa, Viking Tempo and Eco Daintree

#24 Post by Leper » Wed Jul 10, 2013 9:52 pm

Firstly a big congrats to Narrajosh on a great win and another huge thankyou to Harris and TJ for their wonderful support for the comp!

Well for most of the week the weather ad looked promising for my day on the water chasing lizards but as my nominated day approached the weather predictions became less and less favourable for a reasonable day on the water. Having not hit the water in my kayak for quite a period I really threw caution to the wind and did not really plan my day very well in terms of appropriate tides nor weather but decided to make the most of it and launch anyway.

I awoke early and hit the water on my local just as the sun came up. Unlike previous winter trips and I was pleasantly surprised to see come blue skies and almost no wind which made me feel like a little good karma was heading my way. So launching the yak on a dead low tide (poor planning on my part!) and began casting at my usual flathead target areas of gentle sloping banks, draining gutters and creek mouths. Paying particular attention to the downstream side of the gutters where I tend to find flathead as they wait to gobble up prey items leaving the draining gutters and creeks.
P6272233 (600x800).jpg
The problem was that these gutters and creeks were not really draining so much as trickling as I had arrived at the bottom of the tide and ideally I would fish the river three hours prior to the low! So by 9AM I was not overly confident of even seeing a flathead with not even a bump for the endless casts I was sending into every likely flathead hidey hole.

As 9AM ticked over there was a sudden shift in the weather as the clouds rolled in and there was a not so subtle shift in the wind. The breeze picked and there was a not so subtle shift in the temperature. It was suddenly a lot chillier and as the wind picked up it began to move the kayak around making fishing a little more difficult.

The tide turned and began to flow into the river and I knew it would not be long before it flooded in and the current became a little difficult to manoeuvre and cast at the same time. It wasn’t until 10:30AM as I allowed the tidal current to drag me up the waterway that I finally managed my first flathead. Casting into a creek mouth I allowed my 80mm Black Gold Squidgie Fish to drift to the bottom before I flicked it back into the water column. As I dropped my rod tip I felt the unmistakeable twitch in my braid as the SP was picked up as it fell back to the floor of the river and I loaded up on a small flathead to open my SFC VI bag. At only 38cm it wasn’t huge but after a morning of no action it was definitely a welcome sight.
P6272241 (800x600).jpg
The tide began to rush in and I knew my opportunities to pick up a full bag had just gotten a lot more difficult. As I drifted with the current and continued to target my preferred structures for nothing I began to spend more time watching the wildlife and day dreaming than concentrating on picking up a few flathead.
P6272230 (800x600).jpg
P6272235 (800x600).jpg

By 11.30AM the first shower came down and I felt my chances of a reasonable bag had slipped away. I decided to head back to the launch and have a few casts and my favourite locations on the way before pulling the pin and heading home.
P6272238 (800x600).jpg
Targeting a few of the inner bends on the way home I hoped that a few flathead might have moved in as the tide had moved in. Eventually my persistence paid off and I managed my full bag for the day as a second cool shower rolled in and dampened my spirits a little further. At 37cm he was no monster again but left my ego a little more intact than I had envisaged a few hours earlier.
P6272232 (800x600).jpg
I also managed to pick this catch on my new GoPro which was a recent 40th present and I had been testing out a new mount in preparation for the next bas season
I paddled to the exit point and felt the undeniable urge to try one last time to target some of the structures I had peppered when the tide had been lower in the hope a few flatties had moved in with the incoming tide.
P6272244 (600x800).jpg

As I paddled further downstream I noticed some very low dark grey clouds heading my way and managed only a few casts before I decided that what looked like an impending downpour was not worth fishing in. I did manage one more flathead before I packed it in but at 25cm it was not an upgrade.
P6272245 (800x600).jpg
As I paddled upstream I could see the ominous clouds chasing me to the exit point and I just managed to get to pack up the yak and jump into the car the rain pelted down and I was thankful I had pulled the pin when I did!

Thanks again to all who participated whether you managed a few or paddled around for hours trying to find a few! Hopefully the next one will allow everyone to get out!
Brad

ImageImage

For other bass fishing adventures check out my blog at http://www.yakbassaustralia.com

worksux
KFDU Pro Staff MODERATOR

#25 Post by worksux » Wed Jul 10, 2013 10:10 pm

Brad I think you win the award for the most easy to use brag mat to use on a yak. I like the side walls so you dont lose a fish over board when you let go of it for the pic and it decides to go nuts.
I might have to steal that idea :wink: for next comp.

Leper
KFDU Site Manager
Kayaks: Old Town Vapor 10 Angler, Mantra Noa, Viking Tempo and Eco Daintree

#26 Post by Leper » Wed Jul 10, 2013 10:15 pm

worksux wrote:Brad I think you win the award for the most easy to use brag mat to use on a yak. I like the side walls so you dont lose a fish over board when you let go of it for the pic and it decides to go nuts.
Yep this mat is specifically designed for flatties and because it is so slippery the flatties can't get a grip as they wriggle and simply wriggle on the spot!
Brad

ImageImage

For other bass fishing adventures check out my blog at http://www.yakbassaustralia.com

T.J
KFDU 500 Club
Local Fishing Region: Here and there

#27 Post by T.J » Wed Jul 10, 2013 10:55 pm

Well done Josh it looked like you picked the right day, the conditions looked excellent.
I will send your goodies on Friday so they will be there early next week.
Regards,
T.J

rocketV
2012 SFC Champion
Local Fishing Region: Brisbane
Kayaks: Hobie Revo 11, Malibu Sierra 10, Pacer

#28 Post by rocketV » Wed Jul 10, 2013 11:06 pm

Leper wrote:
worksux wrote:Brad I think you win the award for the most easy to use brag mat to use on a yak. I like the side walls so you dont lose a fish over board when you let go of it for the pic and it decides to go nuts.
Yep this mat is specifically designed for flatties and because it is so slippery the flatties can't get a grip as they wriggle and simply wriggle on the spot!
Did you get someone to fold some acrylic or perspex ? (or do it yourself)

Spill your secrets :wink: we won't tell anyone :roll:
Fresh is best, but I don't mind some salt every now and then!

For the fresh: Mailbu Sierra 10 & Koastal Pacer
For the Salt: Hobie Revo - 11

Fivedockflattie
KFDU Angler
Local Fishing Region: Canberra

#29 Post by Fivedockflattie » Thu Jul 11, 2013 12:25 am

After moving to Canberra this was always going to be my excuse to take of down the South Coast for a day... Just had to wait for the Shoalhaven to stop flooding for the first week of the competition.

The plan was to get up early and head to Burrill Lakes and try my luck there. Unfortunately I had a friend who i had not seen for a while turn up the night before with some wine. So I eagerly obliged and we quickly forgot about my plan to be up early and head off.

I finally awoke at 0830 and still feeling a little under the weather, slowly kicked my friend out. And started to contemplate the drive across the Kings Hwy to do some fishing. I had not left my driveway when I heard the traffic report of a landslide on Poohs Cnr and realised that this was a bad idea. :beye: Thankfully the traffic delay minimal and I was good to go.

By the time I hit the lake it was near 1300 and I was still feeling a little green, But i figured I had just driven 3hours so i was going fishing now. I parked and dropped the kayak in next to the caravan park... turns out that the lake in A LOT of places is really shallow :idiot: So I dragged the kayak 30 or so metres before I found more than ankle deep water.

Having never fished the water before I thought it was a prime location for flatties and TBH i still think there would be, just not for a hungover impatient fisherman. I trolled some hard bodies and tried flicking some SP's for 2 hours on the eastern side of the bridge with no luck so I decided that with light running out I would try the Western side of the bridge.

The bridge on the lake has a very low clearance, I had to pull in the rods from there holders and lie them flat to get through. The other side of the lake also had lots of shallow areas... I had to walk the kayak back to where I could paddle again. :roll: I slowly drifted back to the bridge casting at the flats with my trusty vibe still on a donut. The rod suddenly lurched into life and I was on. Positive it was not a flattie but just happy to have a fish touch my lure once then SNAP :shout: It took me around the channel marker and my 6lb braid didn't stand a chance.

Getting pretty close to sunset I figured I would head back under the bridge and pack it up for the day. Stupidly I figured I would troll a lure and hopefully hit something... I did, the kayak hit the pylon and I had my first capsize. :oops: Thankfully the only things loose on the Yak was the pliers and a cheap knife and some other odds and ends while everything else was secured down.

As I surfaced I looked up to see a few people laugh at me. :egrin: So with my pride destroyed, no fish and cold n wet. I called it a day. :oops:

Congratulations to the winner. I hope everyone had a lot better day of it then me! Thanks again for organising.
Craig Smith

PB's from Kayak
Salted
Bream 40cm, Flathead 57cm, Estuary Perch 32cm, Whiting 26cm, Aussie Salmon 62cm, Tailor 58cm
Fresh
Redfin 44cm Yellow Belly 41cm Cod 45cm

Mackayak
KFDU 1000 Club
Local Fishing Region: Far North Coast NSW, Ballina
Kayaks: Revolution 13 Revolution 11

#30 Post by Mackayak » Thu Jul 11, 2013 7:29 am

Congratulations to Narrajosh for winning the cope and thanks to Leper for organising it the fish’s where scares but I was lucky to get a fish in and had a good day on the water :lol: but no fish not even a bit in the 7 hours but is was a lot better then working. :wink:
PB's From yak:
Fresh Water: Saratoga 51cm YES; Barra 110cm; Murray Cod 78cm; Golden Perch 45cm; Bass 44cm;EP 38cm
Salt Water: Snapper 62cm; Jew 83cm; Flathead 71cm; Mangrove Jack 37cm; Whiting 35cm; Bream 37cm; Trevally 38cm; Tailor 34cm;

Return to “KFDU Social Fishing Competitions”