Social Flathead Challenge VII (Results and Trip Reports)

If you like competing in a friendly, low pressure setting then this is a great place to check out our social competitions
Gazzaguru
KFDU 3000 Club
Local Fishing Region: Illawarra NSW
Kayaks: Hobie Sport, Hobie Pro-Angler, Old Town Vapour

Re: Social Flathead Challenge VII (Results)

#16 Post by Gazzaguru » Tue Jul 22, 2014 9:52 pm

I don,t know why I go in these comps. lol because I always catch the wrong species. The weather has been dreadful down here. 100km/hr westerlies not uncommon. I happened to pick the one day that it did not blow so I had no excuses. I fished the Minnamurra river and tried all my usual flathead haunts but they were nowhere to be caught. I finished up with 3 beautiful bream over 30cm. The biggest went 35cm which matched my PB. All bream caught at the top of the tide near a new rockwall on the hwy. Used 1/8 ounce TT jig head and soft plastic used was the Fish Arrow Flash-J 3" in the neon green/silver colour. Well done to the winners and thanks brad for organizing. Gaz
002.JPG
003.JPG
001.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
PB,S from the yak - Amberjack 38cm, Bass 40cm, Bream 35cm, Bonito 36cm, Catfish 29cm, flathead 73cm, Redfin 35cm, EP 34cm, golden perch 55cm, murray cod 73cm, salmon 45cm silver trevally 43cm, tailor 39cm, whiting 40cm.
member of NSW South Coast Kayak Fishos.

Whoever invented these on call rosters for work needs a rocket fair up their clacka.

arpie
2011 Saltwater Angler of the Year
Local Fishing Region: mid north coast
Kayaks: Hobie Sport, Perception Minnow

#17 Post by arpie » Tue Jul 22, 2014 10:00 pm

Nice lookin' breambo there, Gaz! THey reallly 'go' at that size! Well done on matching your PB, even tho it wasn't a flattie! :cry:

RP
(Mark's) Prostaff Member: Ten20 Rods

Adventure before Dementia

Perception Minnow - "Squidgies" Hobie Sport - "Fisharoo"

Copashark
2014 SFC Champion
Local Fishing Region: central coast- brisbane waters
Kayaks: hobie Pro angler 14 and hobie lanai

#18 Post by Copashark » Wed Jul 23, 2014 12:40 am

Hi again, I was lucky to pick a reasonable morning to fish, being the first day of the challenge.

My plan was to fish the rising tide over the abundant ribbon weedbeds of kincumber broadwater. I was on the water by 8:30am, later than planned but a preschooler and a toddler can be a distraction. By my standards this was a hot session, with 3 pb's. My first cast of a 2.5 zman grub was to a moored boat that was kind of 'on my way' to the weedbeds. 'Bang' i was on, and this thing had some grunt, but it was not a flathead. I pedalled away from all snags, played and landed what ended up being an EP. My first ever EP and it went 33cm on the measure, back into the water it went.

I continued toward my destined weedbeds, and decided to take a detour to some old oyster farm structures. I cast alongside and let zman grub settle, lifted the rodtip, and settle. Again I had a solid hookup, and the pedals took me safer water. The shadow of the flathead came to the net and i was so excited that at least i was able to submit an entry to the comp. This flattie went 48cm on the measure. Into the livewell it went.
So i thought i'd better give this area a bit more attention and hope for a second flathead. Instead what followed was 3 quick bream 31cm,32cm and my pb kayak bream @ 35cm. I couldn't believe my luck, and was having a ball on the 4lb setup. The livewell was very lively and the day was young.

Fairly suddenly the wind started to pick up, the cloud cover cleared, and the bream went quiet. I decided i needed to get to the weedbeds. As i arrived, it was close to the top of the tide, which i find works well in this spot. I switched over to the zman 4" streakz curly, on my 8lb set up. It was not long before i was loaded up to what i knew was a good flathead. As I got it yakside i rushed the landing net and spooked the flathead to run again, under the yak. A tense second attempt had me yahooing as this fellow went 62cm on the measure. My p b flathead.

The next hour was was uncomfotable as the wind picked up and i only managed 2 smaller flathead in the low 40's. I called it a day and headed home, unfortunately my phone/camera took some salt water splash in the choppy pedal home, it died the following day. Luckily I was able to send leper the individual photos/ufn's on the night.
this is a photo of the flathead I sent to a mate on the day.
image.jpg
my other photo I sent a mate of the first bream.
My gear is so far very basic, i carry 3 sienna reels, that are spooled with 4, 6, and 8lb straight through flurocarbon. The rods are entry level graphites but they do the job well. :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Kayak pb's Bream 36cm, Estuary perch 33cm, Flathead 65cm, Snapper 37cm, Tailor 42cm, Whiting 39cm

arpie
2011 Saltwater Angler of the Year
Local Fishing Region: mid north coast
Kayaks: Hobie Sport, Perception Minnow

#19 Post by arpie » Wed Jul 23, 2014 8:46 am

Great session, Copashark! Congrats on your PB bream! Nice looking fish! They really DO GO at that size, eh? Well done & Congrats again, on a top win under windy conditions!!

cheers

Roberta
(Mark's) Prostaff Member: Ten20 Rods

Adventure before Dementia

Perception Minnow - "Squidgies" Hobie Sport - "Fisharoo"

chris_and
KFDU 500 Club
Local Fishing Region: Somewhere
Kayaks: Quest 11 and fake mantra Noa.

#20 Post by chris_and » Wed Jul 23, 2014 11:46 pm

WOW, second place is very unexpected, thought i didnt do to well, especially for the spot i was fishing the results were just lots of small fish.

Had a pretty horrible morning with wind and almost called it quits at a few points but decided to head to an old spot i used to fish when i first got into yak fishing and straight away hooked up to a couple of nice heads. It was pretty obvious that i would catch them in this spot as the tide pushes water through a bottle neck and spills out on flats. That just screams flathead to me. So after landing 2 fish one of them ended up being one of my fish for the board.

Soon enough it was time to head to the trusty spot because the wind had finally headed home to hell where it belongs, and the tide had changed. Straight away i was into fish and got my second fish for the board in the bunch of fish caught in this spot.

I continued on to fish this area in hope for the big girls to show up but they were just being beaten by little fish which were beginning to become a nuisance. A memorable moment for the day was hooking a small fish which screamed off sideways and jumped clear of the water by at least a foot and did full on head shakes in the air, someone forgot to tell this fish it wasnt a barra.
Anyway that was my day, it ended up being okay but still nothing special for me when targeting heads in this spot of mine. Sorry for the horrible quality of this write up but i have a huge migraine... it sucks :lol:
Insta: @ofishal_fishing

MattoTarpon
KFDU 3000 Club
Local Fishing Region: Anywhere There Is Bass
Kayaks: Hobie Quest 13 , WS Aspire 105.

#21 Post by MattoTarpon » Thu Jul 24, 2014 8:57 am

Copa you gear should be coming to you in a few days. :cool: :wink: You will not be disapointed. :grin:
Bass - 52cm
Mary River Cod 69cm my dream catch.
Flathead - 64cm Yellowbelly - 54cm
Bream - 38cm Silver Perch - 44cm
Saratoga - 74cm Flounder - 33cm
Whiting - 27cm

ITS A GODDAMN SHARKNADO!!!!!

T.J
KFDU 500 Club
Local Fishing Region: Here and there

#22 Post by T.J » Thu Jul 24, 2014 7:23 pm

OK guys your prize packs are posted (with a couple of other bits included)
You should receive them either tomorrow or Monday.
I will pm you two with tracking numbers.
Regards,
T.J

Copashark
2014 SFC Champion
Local Fishing Region: central coast- brisbane waters
Kayaks: hobie Pro angler 14 and hobie lanai

#23 Post by Copashark » Sat Aug 02, 2014 8:46 am

A special thanks to TJ and Mattotarpon for donating the prizes to support this event. i'll definately put them to good use :)

Ray
rsz_kfdu_003 (3).jpg
Kayak pb's Bream 36cm, Estuary perch 33cm, Flathead 65cm, Snapper 37cm, Tailor 42cm, Whiting 39cm

Return to “KFDU Social Fishing Competitions”